Red Eye Les Paul pickup specs?

Robert Parker

Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone happens to have info on the magnet types and output impedance of the PAFs in the Red Eye Burst.... I know there's more to tone than just pickup specs, but I'm curious.

bluesky636

Reaction score
Real one or Collector's Choice?

Robert Parker

Reaction score
Real one or Collector's Choice?

Crap. I put this in the wrong forum. I meant the original and should have put it in the vintage section. But thanks for the link.

Robert Parker

Reaction score
I forgot about this post, but I figured I'd update it. As part of the COVID lock down stuff, Jason Isbell's guitar tech did a promotion where - if you donated to the MusiCares charity - you could get a private gear consult on anything guitar related. Naturally, it took me about 6 seconds to sign up. It's not every day I get the chance to talk toy favorite player's tech.

We covered multiple areas, mostly in the realm of setup and dealing with stage noise. However, I did get to ask about the specs of the Red Eye LP pickups. (Note: there's some reference to this in the video linked above, but I got a bit more detail).

Apparently, the neck pickup is over-wound somewhat, to about 8.5k, but its magnet (either an A4 or A5) is weakened some. This is what gives it its unique tone. The bridge is pretty standard and also would to about 8.5k.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post that for posterity for anyone else interested in a little nerdy trivia.

Latest Threads