Red Dead Redemption 2

PeteK

Reaction score
Did they try to make it dynamic so the more time you spend with your horse the more "competent" the horse and rider become? Like GTA and motorcycles? Or is it just flawed physics modelling?

They were hilarious videos. So cool.
It is like that. You bond with your horse over time by soothing it when it's spooked by a predator, brushing it when it's dirty, feeding it, etc. Supposedly you get better maneuvers like skid stopping and rearing as well as a horse that isn't spooked by gunfire, predators, etc. So far I haven't noticed much difference, but I'm still in the very early stages of the game.

Crotch

Cocaine Bear
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You also have to clean and oil your guns or take them to a gunsmith in order to keep them them working I read.

Thornosac

Reaction score
I learned the cinematic lesson the hard way running around and dumped my horse ass over tea kettle off a small cliff.
Felt bad for the horse but the physics were hillarious.

James R

Reaction score
I keep noticing the music.
Everywhere I go, no matter what I’m doing, all of a sudden I’m like dang, that sounds good.
They nailed the soundtrack, 100%.

Pete M

Reaction score
I've been stashing away cash for a PS4. Last Saturday I said F--- it, xbox One deals with two games were $150 cheaper than PS4 and in the end I didn't really care which I got looking at the games. So I went and got an xbox one, RDR2 and Forza 4. Got beer. Got steak for the BBQ. I was a happy bunny. Then I went and started the damn thing up and 3 hours later I still hadn't played a damn thing because of all the downloading and installing. Is this what modern gaming is like? I had to leave the Forza DLC running overnight. Lucky I got the unlimited broadband package is all I can say. Anyhoo... RDR2 is insane. It's mind blowing. The most visually stunning game I've ever seen. I love all the detail and I've only just got to where the world has opened up. I had fun just making footprints in the snow for hours. I love how if you walk into a bush that instead of clipping through you, the branches bend. I got eaten by a wolf. Killed by a bear, hunted deer, died in a shoot out, died in a train robbery, and died in a bar fight. I am having the time of my life! I was saying to myself last night, I can barely believe this is a game. That people actually designed it all, because it's like the world has always been there and is just living and breathing. It's friggen amazing! I am hooked!

Last edited:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You also have to clean and oil your guns or take them to a gunsmith in order to keep them them working I read.

Seriously there's limits to how much realism I want in a game. I'm not trying to be getting a flat tire, pull the car over, get the jack out of the trunk, jack it up, loosen the lugnuts, etc.

just let people have fun with the Vroom, Vroom, and the Blam! Blam! :laugh2:

"oh you didn't properly anchor the jack on the frame and punched through the floorboards. Now you have to call a tow truck to take the car in for repair."

2labry.jpg

:laugh2:

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
Meh.. I’m still a FortNite geek.

I know the new Black Ops came out, but I’m not interested.. FortNite is pretty good about keeping things fresh, frustrating and fun.

And, it’s free.

James R

Reaction score
Seriously there's limits to how much realism I want in a game. I'm not trying to be getting a flat tire, pull the car over, get the jack out of the trunk, jack it up, loosen the lugnuts, etc.

"oh you didn't properly anchor the jack on the frame and punched through the floorboards. Now you have to call a tow truck to take the car in for repair."

View attachment 339337

Yeah, hate to say it Mal, but it sounds to me like you should just avoid RDR2.
Judging by this post, I just don’t think it’s a game you would enjoy.
There’s a ton of upkeep/maintenance you have to perform throughout the game.
You have to clean yourself and your horse, feed yourself and your horse, hunt for the camp, skin and lug your kills around on your shoulder or horse (but don’t keep them around too long or they’ll rot), maintain your weapons, maintain the camp and the relationships you have with the other gang members, etc, etc.
All that while trying to fit in missions to earn money, which you then pretty much have to hand over to the camp for upgrades like chicken coops and what not if you don’t want to be living in squalor.

...but it’s beautiful.

Howard2k

Reaction score
Yeah, hate to say it Mal, but it sounds to me like you should just avoid RDR2.
Judging by this post, I just don’t think it’s a game you would enjoy.
There’s a ton of upkeep/maintenance you have to perform throughout the game.
You have to clean yourself and your horse, feed yourself and your horse, hunt for the camp, skin and lug your kills around on your shoulder or horse (but don’t keep them around too long or they’ll rot), maintain your weapons, maintain the camp and the relationships you have with the other gang members, etc, etc.
All that while trying to fit in missions to earn money, which you then pretty much have to hand over to the camp for upgrades like chicken coops and what not if you don’t want to be living in squalor.

...but it’s beautiful.

If it was real life I'd probably be eating lead contaminated salmonella laced chicken while descending into madness and then wander off into the woods alone to die.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
The attention to detail goes so far above and beyond it's ridiculous. If it's raining heavily, Arthur hunches over in the saddle. If it's really pouring he pulls his hat brim low over his eyes. If it's raining when he pitches camp, he automatically sets up his tent (optional otherwise).

And no game, ever, has so perfectly nailed damp, misty early mornings in the woods. Even the sounds are right, and different from sunny mornings.

PeteK

Reaction score
The lighting is incredible in those misty mornings in the woods too. I mean gad dang this game looks good!

Crotch

Cocaine Bear
Reaction score
Well I'm way behind you guys but just finished the heist on Spiderman so have to wait for the 2nd and 3rd part of the dlc.

Gonna play return to arkham now. Download in progress.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you make Joel and Ellie sad. :(

(the last of us)

smk506

Reaction score
Well, with a $725,000,000 opening week, RDR2 has now officially achieved the status of highest grossing opening week in entertainment history.

Highest in ENTERTAINMENT HISTORY!

Crotch

Cocaine Bear
Reaction score
Ok this batman game sucks. Feels like I'm playing a playstation 2 game. Graphics, camera, controls. Is arkham knight better or I'm skipping these 2 for now.. .

Howard2k

Reaction score
Ok this batman game sucks. Feels like I'm playing a playstation 2 game. Graphics, camera, controls. Is arkham knight better or I'm skipping these 2 for now.. .

You’re pretty spoilt after Spider-Man I think. :laugh2: Seems like it sets the bar pretty damn high.

Crotch

Cocaine Bear
Reaction score
You’re pretty spoilt after Spider-Man I think. :laugh2: Seems like it sets the bar pretty damn high.
Maybe that's it. The movement was flawless. Thus just feels choppy as shit. I might play it a bit more but I'm quite bored after an hour (and disappointed) however it us a remake of an almost 10 year old game so maybe that's it. Maybe I should try the newer one and see how it looks. Otherwise I'm going into last of us or uncharted 4. I also have God of War but was kinda saving that for the dull Wisconsin winter. I'm also going to buy nba 2k

Apologies for cutting into RDR thread

krauley

Reaction score

View attachment 339337

i agree with this, after having to search cabinets for cans of food and then walking 2 miles up a snow embankment. i turned off the game and havent been back. im just not going to be able to do those tedious things. Im hoping rockstar puts in a quick play mode in the future where all that kind of stuff will be handled automatically for those not interested in it. For those that like it, enjoy. Just not for me.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
It is like that. You bond with your horse over time by soothing it when it's spooked by a predator, brushing it when it's dirty, feeding it, etc. Supposedly you get better maneuvers like skid stopping and rearing as well as a horse that isn't spooked by gunfire, predators, etc. So far I haven't noticed much difference, but I'm still in the very early stages of the game.

I've gotten a horse to level 4 (max) and you really notice a difference. I've finally abandoned the starter horse. I got challenged to a race by a guy who just bought a new race horse. I scanned his horse and its stats were way better than mine, and since the race took us deep into the woods... that guy ended up losing his head and I got a fancy new horse in the color I wanted (white). But because it's new to me the control is way looser.

"Have to" is an overstatement. What happens is as your guns get dirty their stats degrade, but if you buy gun oil from the store you can clean them at any time.

A lot of the realistic stuff goes right up to the line but stops short of being annoying. You can ignore almost all of it and still play the game like normal, it's just more fun to get immersed and really pretend you're in the world. If you're just looking for Grand Theft Auto with horses it's the wrong game for you, but the first one has that covered.

Speaking of, I'd love it if they remade the first game with the new engine. Even if they kept the gameplay the same, the new graphics would be awesome.

Latest Threads