Rectangular Gibson Les Paul Cases?

Niloy63

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was running around ebay looking for stuff, and I ran across this rectangular Gibson Les Paul case:

I've never seen a rectangular Gibson Case before, other than a couple classic cases from the 60s. Is this a genuine Gibson product? I tried browsing the net for more information on it, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

-Niloy

dangerdog

Reaction score
Pretty sure that is genuine. Unless someone is copying desiccant bags now as well.

There are several Gibson USA Les Paul models that come in rectangular cases.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Pretty sure that is genuine. Unless someone is copying desiccant bags now as well.

There are several Gibson USA Les Paul models that come in rectangular cases.
I appreciate the heads up! :thumb:

Do you know if the case offers enough neck protection? I ask because from the second picture, it looks like it gives minimal neck support.

dangerdog

Reaction score
I would guess that offers more protection form headstock breaks than the regular Gibson case.

The regular case supports right behind the neck. That can provide the perfect pivot point to break off the headstock if the case falls over backwards.

This case you are looking at doesn't do that. It supports the headstock by supporting the entire neck more equally. So the whole neck can bend a little (harmlessly) without putting all the strain on the weakest point.

If I had to choose a case to have my guitar knocked over backwards in I would choose the rectangular one....but that is just my take.

92Standard

Reaction score
I've never seen a Gibson case like that before (not saying they don't exist, just never seen one) And................why do you guys worry so much about these "genuine" cases and neck support? Are necks just snapping when cases are bumped etc? You'd think if this were a real issue it surely would have been addressed by now........no? I don't know of anyone who's had a rather good guitar's neck just snap as a result of a poorly designed Gibson case. I've knocked my cases over hundreds of times and never had an issue.

defcrew

Reaction score
My first LP was an early 70s deluxe bought in the early 70s. Came in a rectangular case which was horrible....kind of warped and the hinges worked properly for about a month or so. Eventually, an old girl friend of mine bought me a violin style case lined with the blue fur of Grover off of Sesame Street. Still have it. Thoughtful of her. At the time I was so broke/cheap I don't think I ever bought her anything. Better lucky than good.

MrWrong

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some current production Gibson basses (EB, Thunderbird) come in a rectangular case like that.

carydad

Reaction score
The TAK comes with one, though I hate rectangular cases. Havent found a good replacement for it yet.

Niloy63

Reaction score
I would guess that offers more protection form headstock breaks than the regular Gibson case.

The regular case supports right behind the neck. That can provide the perfect pivot point to break off the headstock if the case falls over backwards.

This case you are looking at doesn't do that. It supports the headstock by supporting the entire neck more equally. So the whole neck can bend a little (harmlessly) without putting all the strain on the weakest point.

If I had to choose a case to have my guitar knocked over backwards in I would choose the rectangular one....but that is just my take.
I appreciate your opinion. Thank you for giving it! :thumb:

I've never seen a Gibson case like that before (not saying they don't exist, just never seen one) And................why do you guys worry so much about these "genuine" cases and neck support? Are necks just snapping when cases are bumped etc? You'd think if this were a real issue it surely would have been addressed by now........no? I don't know of anyone who's had a rather good guitar's neck just snap as a result of a poorly designed Gibson case. I've knocked my cases over hundreds of times and never had an issue.
I never have, either, and thought it looked really cool. Plus, my Gibson cases are the only ones in storage space that are not rectangular, and it makes organization of my cases less "tidy." I may have partial OCD... don't judge me. lol j/k

About the "genuine" Gibson comment... I figure that a case made by Gibson for a Gibson would probably fit the guitar better than most, if not all aftermarket products. Also, since I've never seen a rectangular case like that before, I was curious whether it really was a Gibson product or not.

As for my fear of poor neck support... my buddy had his limited edition LP crack at the neck from flying. Yes, the airlines compensated, but it was one hell of a process. He didn't even get full reimbursement, and not to mention, it's not like he can go out and purchase a guitar that had a limited run 15+ years ago. I, too, have a unique guitar. It's not a super expensive Supreme or anything, but Gibson stopped producing them a couple years ago... the Black/Silver Swirl Bursts. I believe I even bought the last new one left on the market (from Wildwood Guitars). If something did happen to the guitar, and even if the airline company was prompt about reimbursement and paid in full, I'd be SOL... I can't replace a guitar that is no longer in production. Watching my buddy's bad experience has made me somewhat paranoid about cases in general.

suedehead

Reaction score
While we're at it, how about some photos of your Swirly Burst?

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
Basically those cases are reserved for explorers. It looks like someone modded that case to fit an LP. Just look at how the color varies from where the body sits to where the neck would sit. I think it's a real Gibson case, but that case was never meant for an LP...

Just a guess, I owned a few explorers..

jppage25

Reaction score
Looks real just like the case for my firebird but molded for a LP.

MrWrong

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The oddball Gibson N-225 also comes in a rectangular case.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
The oddball Gibson N-225 also comes in a rectangular case.

Less pointy-ness and it'd be a great guitar

Looks good as is. Much better without the pinstripes

I actually like rectangle cases. Easier to store!

James R

Reaction score
I wish they were all rectangular like that. I hate the teardrop shaped ones, they don't play well with all my other cases.

theNARDdog9

Reaction score
I wish they were all rectangular like that. I hate the teardrop shaped ones, they don't play well with all my other cases.
See, I'm the exact opposite. I love the teardrop shaped cases, I find they store more easily. They can be leaned up against a wall and I trust them not to fall over. My strat cases are all rectangular and I don't like them because they stick out further than my les paul cases and I cant lean them against the wall the same way. OTOH if my strat falls nothing will happen to it...it's a Strat!:laugh2:

Niloy63

Reaction score
Last week, I decided to pull the trigger and buy the rectangular case from the guy on Ebay. It arrived two days ago. The case looks awesome! And it feels great! It's a TKL (Made in Canada). From what I can tell thus far, it feels more sturdy than the form-fitting cases (less give in the case). And I totally agree with James R. This rectangular case plays much better with my other cases.

Here's a couple concerns of mine... it feel a bit tight. The guitar squeaks when I put the LP in. Some people say "the more snug, the better." But I do have to put my hand on the body and apply extra pressure to set it in perfectly. I'm not forcing it in by any means, but it does requires extra pressure than just laying the guitar in the case. And when I shut the lid, the case is slightly open. I also have to apply a slight amount of pressure to close the mouth of the case completely (otherwise, there's about 1 1/2" opening). It's because there's an extra pad of plush over the bridge and the knobs. And again, I don't have to force the case closed. I just have to lightly push down on it. It seems to grip the guitar better in the case (less give than the stock case).

Like stolle68 showed us, I know Gibson made a few in the 60s/70s. But I've never seen an official promo for one in the open era. This was definitely made in recent years. Ithas the same black snake-skin outer covering and the same white inner plush that my '11 LP Swirl case came with. I'd like to find out when they were made and what guitars they were made for.

Niloy63

Reaction score
Here are the pictures that I was supposed to upload a few days ago. My apologies for being way late on my word:

-This next picture shows what I was talking about regarding not fully closing on its own. Please let me know if you feel it's a bad thing for the guitar. I feel the slight extra pressure I have to use holds the guitar tighter...

-This next picture is the extra pad that is causing the slight lift above the body of the Les Paul:

-The headstock clearance:

Latest Threads