Recommendations for preamp pedal please

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Do you have a budget? The Custom Tones Ethos OD is one of the most killer preamp pedals on the planet, but it ain't cheap.

Mockbel

Reaction score
Do you have a budget? The Custom Tones Ethos OD is one of the most killer preamp pedals on the planet, but it ain't cheap.
I started to withdraw the idea actually and keep using the Laney IRT Studio amp.. and yeah.. this Ethos is pricy !

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I just got the Mooer Pre Amp Live, which seems to do what you're after, with or without cab sim (using IR). My excuse was for silent recording at home, but I also play at some open mic nights, so having a portable rig that just plugs straight into the PA seems useful too. FWIW I have 3 good valve amps (Marshall SV20H 'Plexi', Mini Jubilee and a Fender '64 Deluxe) and various cabs too, so I like having a mixture of tech to inspire me.

So far I've only had a couple of evenings playing with it and trying out the settings/phone app, but it's very easy to tweak settings without getting sucked into a hole of 'computer programming' like some devices I've tried in the past. In fact I can just treat it like 12 selectable amps and use the knobs like a normal amp would have to adjust things.

Mockbel

Reaction score
I just got the Mooer Pre Amp Live, which seems to do what you're after, with or without cab sim (using IR). My excuse was for silent recording at home, but I also play at some open mic nights, so having a portable rig that just plugs straight into the PA seems useful too. FWIW I have 3 good valve amps (Marshall SV20H 'Plexi', Mini Jubilee and a Fender '64 Deluxe) and various cabs too, so I like having a mixture of tech to inspire me.

So far I've only had a couple of evenings playing with it and trying out the settings/phone app, but it's very easy to tweak settings without getting sucked into a hole of 'computer programming' like some devices I've tried in the past. In fact I can just treat it like 12 selectable amps and use the knobs like a normal amp would have to adjust things.
But it is $400 !!!! :facepalm:
It is out of my budget

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Mine was B Stock, so under $300 if my exchange rate calculation is correct. I'm sure there will be secondhand ones around before long, so just something to keep in mind.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Mine was B Stock, so under $300 if my exchange rate calculation is correct. I'm sure there will be secondhand ones around before long, so just something to keep in mind.
Egypt sounds like a world apart when it comes to buying gear. I thought Canadians got hosed on prices until I heard what Brother Mockbel has to deal with.

Mockbel

Reaction score
Egypt sounds like a world apart when it comes to buying gear. I thought Canadians got hosed on prices until I heard what Brother Mockbel has to deal with.
Yeah that’s true.. I have to come up with work arounds and out of the box ideas here :)

Actually I am thinking of a boost pedal with some built in eq like the EP Boost or adjustable eq like the Micro Amp Plus or TCE Spark.. all what need is a slight shaping of the clean sound which is so flat now...

Note if you not following my other post, I am currently connecting the pedalboard directly to power amp.. sounds good with overdrive/ distortion but very flat when everything is off