Recommendations for my one and only Boost/OD/Distortion Pedal

RYAN1987M

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a pedal that is capable of functioning as a light/medium gain overdrive and also as a boost. This pedal will be the only boost/OD/Distortion pedal on my board.

As far as my experience with OD pedals go, I've previously owned a Boss Blues Driver (un-modded), an Ibanez TS-808 RI, and a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk III. This may be surprising, but overall, I preferred the Blues Driver the most - although I typically always left the gain setting around 9 o'clock. The DLS was a fantastic pedal as well, but it just had too much gain for my personal tastes.

The best sound that I've ever been able to coax came from a DRRI, a Blues Driver, and a Classic Player '60s Strat.

My current gear is as follows:
- Fender Classic Series '60s Tele
- Fender Blacktop Jaguar 90 (with Lollar P-90's - 5% underwound neck, standard bridge)
- Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue
- Matamp Spirit

Pedals that I'm considering at the moment (I'm open to suggestions though!):
- Way Huge Green Rhino
- Maxon 808
- Catalinbread Formula No. 5

Like I said, I did love my Blues Driver (which I mostly used as a boost), but I'm looking to try something new and not something that I've already owned. Any recommendations for a pedal that is capable of functioning as a light/medium gain overdrive and also as a boost would be greatly appreciated! Also, as I mentioned, this pedal will be the only boost/OD/Distortion pedal on my board - I like to keep it simple, my only other pedal is a tuner.

Thank you all!

Ryan

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm happy with my boss fb-2.

Rhust

Reaction score

Brocko

Reaction score
Have a look at the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, or the Zvex Box of Rock. Both have the ability to be either distortion/OD, Clean boost, or a mix of the two albeit differently.

The voodoo labs allows you to blend the two, whereas the Zvex runs them in series.

also check out the Trex Moller - a bit dirtier than the Voodoo Labs, but again allows them to be blended or run separately. However, I find the boost to be a bit weaker on the Moller.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Lovepedal Amp 11 is pretty flexible and sounds great. (not a TS type of pedal).

This is what I have:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmoFgQ46qz0]Lovepedal Amp Eleven - YouTube[/ame]

Now they come with a boost section that is independent:

Lovepedal Amp Eleven Overdrive - YouTube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9nUVUAuUUI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9nUVUAuUUI[/ame]

Stuff

Reaction score
Even with the boost setting, my Amp 11 barely makes it into mid-gain territory - and that's with humbuckers. It's a fantastic mids-heavy tone, and a real keeper ... just that maxed out it's got about as much drive as my Sky Blue Overdrive on about 10 o'clock. I've got the Prymaxe one, which is voiced differently from the original run.

kboman

Reaction score
I would give this one a good long look:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-71XWcLtmk"]Earthquaker Devices - Palisades Overdrive - YouTube[/ame]

- not sure if it's even shipping yet (but I think so). Has two gain settings you can switch between - that's your overdrive and distortion - as well as a boost on a third switch.

Looks complicated? It's not. Set it once as you like it. Rock out indefinitely. And then one day when you get an unfamiliar guitar/amp/room to handle, you have the bandwidth and tone controls right there to adjust as needed. Pedals like the Rook Royale, Moller, Amp 11 and Halo function much the same way. The Palisades has Tubescreamer DNA at its core.

mad dog

Reaction score
Paul Cochrane's TIM for me. Nothing, but nothing, ever knocks this pedal off the board. It's on all the time, mostly clean boost but can drive harder when needed.
MD

OverDrivenGtr

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Bogner Blue, it arrived yesterday. If you are looking for something very amp-like, for low to medium gain, this is definitely one you should check out. Its not like any other pedal I've used or owned, its more like a preamp than a pedal. Not a lot of gain on tap without using the boost function. Blue side reaches that edge of breaking up tone and the boost side kicks it over the edge. Pedal engaged, boost activated, stack a [your favorite clean/gain boost here] on top and you've got liquid sustain for lead work. Its really versatile with all the switches, which each add a little different flavor. And with how well this pedal reacts to your picking attack. You can pick lightly and get a crystal clean, then dig in and sound like you just stepped on the switch when really it was on the whole time. This is inspiring to me.

Seeing as so far the Amp 11 seems to be, IMO, the best recommendation, I thought this video demo was appropriate.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YgGaKOZm5gk[/ame]

Gerr

Reaction score
OldToneZone.com used to have a good overdrive pedal comparison, but I can't find the link. I have a Hardwire Tube Overdrive pedal and that site let me hear it next to other pedals and the one that it sounded closest to...the Boss Blues Driver. Might be worth checking out.

RYAN1987M

Reaction score
Thank you all for providing so many great suggestions!

You're making it hard on me though, there are so many options to consider! Unfortunately, in Canada, I probably won't get to try out a lot of these pedals for myself. But based on some feedback, and my research, I'm currently liking the looks of the Boss OD-3 (simple I know, but should be similar to my previous BD-2 while still being something a bit new and different), the Rockett Blue Note, and the Luther Drive.

Obviously I said I was looking for my "one and only" OD pedal, and therefore it makes a lot of sense that a lot of you suggested dual pedals. Personally though, if at all possible, I'd like to stick with a single pedal (I'm not much of a tinkerer). I guess I'm just looking for a light/medium OD where all three knobs work really well - aren't we all?!

Maybe I should try to simplify the description of what I'm after a bit (for my own sake, haha)...

I'm thinking about a Strat (Neck+Mid) into a clean blackface Fender amp. I want to play Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter". I want one pedal that can give me just a little bit of added texture/color for the intro, but one that is also capable of handling the solo (where I can engage the pedal and roll-up the volume on Strat).

Ryan

Brocko

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a Strat (Neck+Mid) into a clean blackface Fender amp. I want to play Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter". I want one pedal that can give me just a little bit of added texture/color for the intro, but one that is also capable of handling the solo (where I can engage the pedal and roll-up the volume on Strat).

Ryan

Fairly sure the Zvex box of rock would get you there - it has a cranked Marshall tone on one side, and a second footswtich which is a clean boost, so you can just tip the sound over the top for solos.

Alternatively, you can run one without the other too, so you could start off with the clean boost as a foundation, smacking on the cranked sound later on. This pretty much what you need for that song.

It is a very straightforward pedal really and small footprint too. Check the demo on Pro Guitar Shop - pretty much sums it up.

chipper

Reaction score
From what you have described, I would suggest an Xotic BB Preamp. A very organic sounding pedal that feels like it is part of the amp. It allows you to add just a little bit of grit into the clean signal or go to the full cranked JTM45 tone. 32Db of boost plus active treble and bass controls.

hrfdez

Reaction score
From what you have described, I would suggest an Xotic BB Preamp. A very organic sounding pedal that feels like it is part of the amp. It allows you to add just a little bit of grit into the clean signal or go to the full cranked JTM45 tone. 32Db of boost plus active treble and bass controls.

I am revamping my pedalboard and just ordered one of this.:thumb:

Gargamel647

Gold Plated Member
Reaction score
Bogner ectasy will do it all for you. Blue or red. I like more gain so the red works for me.

El Kabong

Reaction score
Waiting for delivery of an Analogman Maxon OD-9 / 808 Overdrive pedal with a Bad Bob Boost. You might consider something along those lines...

https://www.buyanalogman.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AM-Maxon-OD-9-Mods

I like the Analogman mods quite a bit. I have one of his SD-1's.

This arrived and I've been using it non-stop ever since. The boost is super clean and the OD is spot on nasty. I do use it with a bb preamp for extra gain though as needed when I'm playing through a clean channel. Not that it couldn't do that itself, but bending down just takes too much effort... :naughty:

LPcreation

Reaction score
If the DLS was too gainy I'd stay away from the Formula #5. I have one and I don't think I could get a cleanish tone out of it if I tried. I like the pedal, but not for what you're looking for.

Latest Threads