Recommendations for a box giving warm, bluesy overdrive tones?

DHart

Reaction score
Keep in mind that PGS has a 30-day refund policy and a 60-day store credit. The staff tends to know gear pretty well, so let 'em know what you're trying to accomplish. If/when you get a bigger amp with MV (you mentioned the BJ III), pedals still will be very useful, especially if you want OD sounds other than its preamp distortion.

Absolutely. Good points.

Very nice setup there. The Champ looks like it had been regrilled.

bluesguitar65… yes, back in the mid seventies I replaced the original baffle panel (for 8" speaker) with one which would house a 10" speaker. This early seventies Champ still had a removable baffle panel, unlike the later seventies models which had glued-in baffle panels. (See post #26 above) I installed a 10" K110 JBL, which wasn't a great match with the amp. I didn't play the Champ for 30+ years in the meantime until recently!

I'm about to replace the K110 with a Weber 10A100 which will be a perfect match with the amp. When I replaced the baffle panel, I re-grilled it with the tweed. Should have the new Weber 10A100 in a week or so… can't wait to see how it sounds in this Champ.

JeffBlue

Banned
Reaction score
The Fulltone Plimsoul gives you the option of a soft clipping and a hard clipping and a combination of both, tweakable by you. Very versatile and extremely useable overdrive.

JeffBlue

Banned
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have a 70's Fender Silverface Vibro Champ that I installed 10 inch 4 ohm Peavey Scorpion speaker. Changed the 6V6 tube for a NOS 5881. The pedal I like to use with this amp is the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Blue which is a 2 channel all tube pedal that gives a one trick pony more room to shine.

DHart

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have a 70's Fender Silverface Vibro Champ that I installed 10 inch 4 ohm Peavey Scorpion speaker. Changed the 6V6 tube for a NOS 5881. The pedal I like to use with this amp is the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Blue which is a 2 channel all tube pedal that gives a one trick pony more room to shine.

Jeff... The tubes in my Champ are original from the seventies, though the amp hasn't been played for over 30 years. Is there a way of knowing what condition the tubes are in? Do you think the sound is improved with the NOS 5881 vs. the 6V6?

StandingWave

Reaction score
Jeff... The tubes in my Champ are original from the seventies, though the amp hasn't been played for over 30 years. Is there a way of knowing what condition the tubes are in? Do you think the sound is improved with the NOS 5881 vs. the 6V6?
Run 'em over to Eurotubes and have them tested.

DHart

Reaction score
OK... Here's what I know about tubes...

Not much.

Should I take all the tubes in the Champ to Eurotubes or just the 6V6?

And what should I expect from the NOS 5881 vs. the 6V6?

Quill

Reaction score
You've got way better pedal advice, and probably made a better choice, than I could give or help you with. Just wanna say - that's a killer amp you've got there, and a wicked, beautiful guitar. Holy smoke!

StandingWave

Reaction score
Should I take all the tubes in the Champ to Eurotubes or just the 6V6?

I'd take them all. Call or email Eddie and set something up. Maybe they'd like to see the whole amp. They'll have knowledge and opinions on 5881s. They're very helpful, but their primary thing is selling new JJs. Regardless, they can test what you have. What else is in there, a 12AX7? It's the 6V6s that usually go first.

Latest Threads