Recommendation on noise gate...

Mockbel

Reaction score
Hi there

I want to buy a noise gate and with a quick research I noted that there are a lot in market !!

two noise gates are grabbing my attention; Boss NS-2 and ISP Decimator G String... However, the ISP is almost double price, any clue why???

I am open for other suggestions but I have one mandatory requirements in the proposed pedal; it must include send/return feature as I am planning to place the noise gate just after the guitar and also after the pre-amp (in the amp FX Loop) as my amp's dirty channel is really noisy !

Thanks...

old mark

Reaction score
Many Boss multiple effects have an integral noise gate, and that cuts down the number of boxes in line. I have an 80's Boss that still works great, and I recommend everything they make

Mockbel

Reaction score
Well I downloaded the user manual of Decimator II and Decimator II G String... unfortunately the loop function is in the G string only which is way more expensive than the Boss NS-2... However, many reviews are recommending the G String over the NS-2 ...

There is a Decimator II listed locally (used) with a very good price... but it won't do the job unfortunately :(

rjshare

Reaction score
Dont want to derail your thread by turning it into a boss discussion, but i have the ns2 and it is very good as are most of their pedals - especially the "utility" stuff (switch/tuner/eq/noise gate etc).

Unfortunately since the boom in boutique pedals it has become cool to slate boss gear but their pedals just work. They arent the best on the market but they arent the most expensive either. Loads of pros use them and more specifically, loads of pros use the ns2. Dont bother looking any further.

Batman

Reaction score
The G String is more advanced however I had very good luck with my NS-2 especially when using the 4 cable method or "X" method

vh100rnoise.gif

Mockbel

Reaction score
I think the issue with such pedals too would be the tone effect due to different noise thresholds coming from guitar and from amp... I believe having two separate noise gate pedals would be the perfect solution but of course it is a high cost and complicated...

The issue I mentioned above has no solution of course for the ISP as it has only one threshold knob.. what about the NS-2? Can I use threshold and decay knobs to control the thresholds of guitar (to pedal input) and amp (to pedal return) ? This may be a breaking point for me !

Batman

Reaction score
The NS-2 and the ISP both work similarly; some would argue that the ISP is a better product but I've had both and prefer the NS-2.

On the NS-2 the threshold sets the noise gate level and decay controls how long the note decays before the gate closes.

If you set it up as per the diagram I posted, all your modulation/delay/reverb effects would follow the NS-2 so there is zero (and I can't stress this enough) zero difference between guitar and amp.

All your gain stages are in front of the gate; guitar, pedal gain and pre-amp, then the gate to shut off the noise, then modulation/delay/reverb so that their trails are not effected by the gate.

If you choose to go with an ISP, you do not need the g-string version; just place the ISP as the first pedal in your effects loop and you're done.

mmd

Reaction score
I use an MXR Smart Gate and have always been thrilled with its performance. I have gigged my strat and tele and been quiet while retaining natural note decay. Here's my effects chain:

guitar -> wah -> tuner -> compressor -> boost -> phase 90/uni-vibe -> distortion/OD -> reverb -> smart gate -> delay -> amp

Works great in that spot.

rjshare

Reaction score
Not saying you are wrong because each to their own, YMMV yada yada etc but reverb then noise gate and then delay???
Using a delay to repeat the reverb (which is gated) is kind of unconventional/unnatural to say the least!

Personally I'd have the gate first to cut out any chaff, then echo what is coming through in your signal and apply reverb to the whole lot last. 2cts :thumb:

mmd

Reaction score
Not saying you are wrong because each to their own, YMMV yada yada etc but reverb then noise gate and then delay???
Using a delay to repeat the reverb (which is gated) is kind of unconventional/unnatural to say the least!

Personally I'd have the gate first to cut out any chaff, then echo what is coming through in your signal and apply reverb to the whole lot last. 2cts :thumb:

Convention would say that my signal chain is wrong, but I am using a Fender reverb it never gets cut off by the gate, and it is a part of the overall tone.

The way I use the reverb is not really like "reverb" in the sense that most people do. Think of Dick Dale's guitar sound - the reverb is almost a type of overdrive. I started doing that a long time ago when I was still using an actual 6G15 Fender Reverb Unit. It tends to overdrive the front of the amp in a cool way. The actual "reverb" is turned down pretty low. In fact here are the settings on the pedal (which is a Boss FRV-1):

Mixer - 9 o'clock
Tone - 12 o'clock
Dwell - 9 o'clock

I get all my echoes off the delay, which is set kind of weird too. I use the MXR Carbon Copy:

Regen - 7 o'clock
Mix - 9 o'clock
Delay - 11 o'clock

The Smart Gate never enages until I stop playing. That's one of the things I really like about it - it doesn't choke my tone in any way, even when using single coils under stage lights. Here is my setting on it:

Trigger Level - 1 o'clock
Hiss - mid

Different, but highly effective - and it makes for a unique sound!!!! I discovered the unconventional gate placement back when I was designing and build racks. A lot of my sound was being choked when the gate was at the end of the chain. I also found that when I ran it at the front of the chain, I would still get build up in the signal from effects. So I tried running multiple gates, and that was ok, but added to the hassle of rack space and cabling.

Eventually I found that if I run the gate before a delay I could vary the level depending on the gig/environment and change make up the 'slice' with the delay. For example, if I was playing a venue that had lower light trusses my guitar would hum more. With the gate in front, I would have to increase the threshold and my sustain would be messed up. My only option would be to play with noise or readjust MOST of my effects - not an easy thing to do while you are sound checking for a 45-90 minute set.

With the gate at the end of the chain (or even in the loop) that same scenario would cause me to have ALL of my tone choked on its way to the power amp. There would be a weird 'zippering' in my tone all night that was distracting.

By inserting the delay after the gate, I found that all I would need to do is engage the delay, turn it down a little while increasing the threshold on the gate and my notes would sustain/ring out the same while my sound would be quieter.

I have been doing it for about 20 years. To hear it in action, check out my tone in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0049WJRAB4

Mockbel

Reaction score

If you choose to go with an ISP, you do not need the g-string version; just place the ISP as the first pedal in your effects loop and you're done.

But in this case I am not gating any noise coming from the guitar and being amplified or processed by front pedals and preamp... will a gate just after the preamp handle all this mess?

One other question.. I assume that NS-2 and G String are doing exact same function and should be connected the exact same way.. only just difference in names like send (DEC out) and return (DEC in).. is that correct?
I read on another forum that this is not true, the DEC in and out in the G String are just to control the "Decay" !!

Mockbel

Reaction score
Update: I spotted a used NS-2 listed locally.. should I hunt it ??????

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I have a noise gate at the end of my line and a suppressor at the beginning. I have low cost maintains pedals. The ones that do the heavy lifting cost a little more.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
Sorry I had to look up the name, Behinger makes low price pedals. I really like the Joyo pedals I have.

Batman

Reaction score
But in this case I am not gating any noise coming from the guitar and being amplified or processed by front pedals and preamp... will a gate just after the preamp handle all this mess?

One other question.. I assume that NS-2 and G String are doing exact same function and should be connected the exact same way.. only just difference in names like send (DEC out) and return (DEC in).. is that correct?
I read on another forum that this is not true, the DEC in and out in the G String are just to control the "Decay" !!

If you have a series loop and you run the noise gate in the loop, all of the signal passes through the gate.

Think of it like this. . .

Guitar --> Wah --> Gain Pedals --> amp input --> pre-amp --> effects send --> Gate --> modulation/delay/reverb --> effects return --> power amp --> Speakers

Liquid State

Reaction score
another vote for MXR Smart Gate. I bought and still have the regular ISP Decimator (not the G string) and the MXR is much more effective and adjustable. I use an MXR on my main board and another inline with my Rockman rack mount set-up.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
I just picked up the Decimator II. It's the easiest pedal in the world to use, and it only does one thing, does it extremely well.

Remove unwanted noise. Doesn't change tone, at all. I sat there for 15 minutes with my eyes closed not having any idea if it was on, or off, and couldn't tell while I was playing. Stuck it right after my boost pedal, and I can dial it in, in seconds.

Sure it was a little more expensive than the NS-2. But, it doesn't suck tone, and was a breeze to setup.

Both were sitting next to each other today, and I didn't even give the NS-2 a second look.

Mockbel

Reaction score
Behringer makes clone boss ns2 and I heard good feedback about it... However, if i purchased one I would get the real thing; Boss NS-2

I am still concerned about the tone suck some people complain about.. a bit confused here !

Latest Threads