Recommend me a small pedal friendly amp

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
1x10 and something under 20 watts. Spring reverb is a plus but not required. I want to use this for direct recording with pedals :)

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
What’s your budget like?

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was using my pedal board I was very fond of my Egnater Rebel 20. Excellent pedal platform. I also loved the old Fender Champ but that is only 5 watts. Should be adequate for recording. I have a Princeton reverb reissue that has the spring reverb but I had a hard time finding overdrive pedals that I liked with that one.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Orange Rocker 15 might do the trick. I have the Terror head, but the combo is 1x10. The Natural channel on this seems ready for whatever pedal I throw at it. No EQ, so that may be a negative...or an opportunity to get serious use out of an EQ pedal. And no reverb.

I get both through pedals. And the tube-driven buffered loop does not suck out the high end.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I'm very fond of the Suhr Badger for a pedal platform. The Badger 18 head technically meets your criteria, but I'm guessing that you might want something physically smaller? Doesn't the Marshall Studio Vintage come in a 1x10" combo form? You might like that.

Princeton Reverb is the obvious answer.

Last edited:

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm very fond of the Suhr Badger for a pedal platform. The Badger 18 head technically meets your criteria, but I'm guessing that you might want something physically smaller? Doesn't the Marshall Studio Vintage come in a 1x10" combo form? You might like that.

Princeton Reverb is the obvious answer.
Yeah, I didn't mention it earlier but the PRRI is the frontrunner. I had this amp a few years ago and it would probably work well for what I want to use it for.

I just wanted to hear some other options :]

Big John

four holes are better than one
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Mesa Subway Blues, about $400-$500 on the used market. I have one that I use for local jams. Kick on a pedal or two for dirt. Throw a delay pedal in the loop if I get bored. Great little grab & go.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Vox AC15 (or similar from Bad Cat, Morgan, etc) might be a good choice, but they aren't exactly small despite the power rating and I don't know if they have a 1x10" version.

mdubya

Reaction score
I like the Badger 18 and the PRRI suggestions.

The Badger has the FX loop and the classic Marshall sound and the PRRI has real Reverb and Tremolo.

I would get both.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't mention it earlier but the PRRI is the frontrunner. I had this amp a few years ago and it would probably work well for what I want to use it for.

This was my immediate thought.

But, it depends.

1, What do you mean Direct recording?
2. Do you want just a great clean sounding amp with as much headroom as you can get in a 10" Combo package? I.E. Dirt comes from pedals.
3. Or do you want to be able to push the amp via pedals?

Barring answers to those, I'd also add:

Marshall Origin 20W (No verb)

Fender Pro Jr IV (no verb)

Marshall DSL5CR

Supro Blues King 10

Vox AC10C1

And that is just Valve Amps.

But, at this size and price point, you'll need some kind of loadbox, etc to go DI.

THen there are a few Modelers.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but I’m a pedal lover..,and I don’t think I could consider an amp with no loop as a base for pedals. :dunno:

pillbug

Reaction score
Yamaha JX40. Great pedal platform. Doesn’t need an FX loop because you won’t be using it for its drive. And I’m pretty sure it has a reverb tank. (Can’t get to mine right now or else I’d check).

EddieF

Reaction score
I don’t have a lot of experience with a lot of amps, but i really like my Fender Blues Jr IV. It’s great with pedals.

JMP

Reaction score

I’d get the Princeton. Can’t go wrong with that. The Blues Jr is always a popular option (and affordable to boot).

Latest Threads