Recommend me a good charcoal grill for under $200...

Ed B

Reaction score
Got my eye on this one.

Has a few features that I like.
•Front access charcoal door with cool-touch handle for tending fire with minimum heat loss

•Adjustable-height, crank-mechanism fire grate with cool-touch handle to easily adjust as necessary

•Two adjustable side dampers and adjustable smokestack damper for maintaining cooking temperature

•Pull-out ash drawer for easy clean-up

My 14 year old Char Griller has seen its last hamburger this weekend. I think I know what Santa will be sliding down my chimney this year.

...but this is for grilling & BB-Q only... my Oklahoma Joe smoker does all the other work.

My buddy has one just like this. I don't think it's Char-Broil but the same functions. Door on the front and the hand crank to raise and lower the grate. He LOVES it. So do I. Excellent options IMO.

Groove Toad

Banned
Reaction score
My grandad used one like this one. He grilled the best steaks on the planet.

$(KGrHqZHJDIE8gPZunK2BPgy)+Qhb!~~60_12.JPG

45WinMag

Reaction score
Save your money for a while and get a Big Green Egg. Sell blood if you have to. You will not regret it.

The bread was baked in the egg as the temperature fell after cooking pizza (why waste all that heat, it took several hours to cool off).

Ermghoti

Reaction score
Are you sure you aren't confusing Chargriller with Charbroil??

Hmm. Possibly. I thought all of the inexpensive barrel grills suffered from a poor lid fit, making low temperature cooking impossible?8

Ever try to smoke a pork shoulder on a kettle? It's a f*king nightmare.

I haven't yet, but I have friends that do. Doesn't seem too bad. The recent Weber grill surfaces have hinged sections at each side for tending indirect heat.

also have a Big Green Egg. This slays them both 100x over. :naughty:

Those seem amazing, whole different budget though.

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm back guys... Got the Chargriller. $158 for the grill, a bag of charcoal, some new tongs and an electric charcoal starter...

Firing it up now. Kinda late, but still going to break it in with a Tri-tip...

But what is all of the sticky, sappy sh*t on the metal stuff?

Ed B

Reaction score
I have no idea what the sappy stuff is.

Ed B

Reaction score
Hmm. Possibly. I thought all of the inexpensive barrel grills suffered from a poor lid fit, making low temperature cooking impossible?8

Before I got the BGE I did low temp cooks in there all the time. As low as 225. It's not a set and forget process. My guess is those who've a problem didn't figure out how to work their grill. It's science. I can tell you that the Chargriller is not air tight, at all. And that doesn't matter if you know how to maintain the temp.

I was on Kingfords site waaaay back looking for tips. When I got this grill. They had a chart for maintaining temps for long cooks. It showed how many briquettes to use every 45 minutes for Weber kettles. Since the Chargriller is bigger I took the surface area and compared it to the Kettle. Figured out the difference and applied it to how many I thought I should need for the CG. Bam! That's how I came up with 18 per 45 minutes. It's fool proof. The key is getting the heat higher than you want. Let it drop to where you want it, but stable and start your timer for 45 minutes.

I use a chimney starter. This one....[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Ultimate/dp/B0007ZGUTI]Amazon.com: Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue Ultimate Chimney Charcoal Starter with Handle: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

It's big, highly recommend it. I have 2, but never use both. Did that once and started a grease fire. Scared the f*ck outta me. Thank God I followed the fire codes as far as proximity goes. This could have burned down my house.

Anyway.....I fill it, not heaping. When it's ready I dump it and wait a few minutes. The heat will be high, 400 or higher. Let her sit with the lid open. Close it periodically to see where the gauge goes. Open it and let it sit. Once the temp is where you want it and it's stable add the food and start the timer for 45 minutes.

The chimney started should be cooled by now. Add your 18 briquettes (not to the grill yet, wait for the timer to ding) and grab a beer. Your coasting now. At whatever temp you stabilize and start your timer is where it will sit until you miss the reload or you're satisfied.

The process of getting the grill ready takes about an hour. Plan for that.

I haven't yet, but I have friends that do. Doesn't seem too bad. The recent Weber grill surfaces have hinged sections at each side for tending indirect heat.

Yes, those lift grates are essential. They were an accessory when I bought mine. And not stocked in the big box stores. I grew up in the city so there weren't any mom and pop grill stores. :laugh2:

I smoked a couple pounds of chicken on one without the lifts. Horrible process! It took 2 of us to add coal. One to hold the grate full of chicken. The other to drop the coal. I guess I could have done it myself by lying the chicken down, but still a real hassle.

Just so everyone knows where I'm coming from. This is my experience. It's not the only way to get there. Weber grills are great grills. That's obvious. they are no fluke, but they lack in the smoking department. The CG does both, well. I bought a Kettle because I needed to feed people while we were waiting for the "star of the show". :laugh2:

Those seem amazing, whole different budget though.

Yes it is. The BGE with a "Stoker" and you have a set and forget setup. It's truly an oven. I know they seem expensive, but if you get a chance to use one you wouldn't think they're expensive at all. And they will last a lifetime. It truly is a game changer. Do it! :dude:

Hack

Reaction score
Ok I'm back guys... Got the Chargriller. $158 for the grill, a bag of charcoal, some new tongs and an electric charcoal starter...

Firing it up now. Kinda late, but still going to break it in with a Tri-tip...

But what is all of the sticky, sappy sh*t on the metal stuff?

And not one Goddamned picture?

You failed.

Ed B

Reaction score
Got my eye on this one.

Has a few features that I like.
•Front access charcoal door with cool-touch handle for tending fire with minimum heat loss

•Adjustable-height, crank-mechanism fire grate with cool-touch handle to easily adjust as necessary

•Two adjustable side dampers and adjustable smokestack damper for maintaining cooking temperature

•Pull-out ash drawer for easy clean-up

My 14 year old Char Griller has seen its last hamburger this weekend. I think I know what Santa will be sliding down my chimney this year.

...but this is for grilling & BB-Q only... my Oklahoma Joe smoker does all the other work.

Hack, I spoke to my buddy last night about his grill. There is one complaint. Indirect cooking and adding charcoal. He said it's annoying tucking the coal over to the right. He'd rather open the top and drop it in. Which is not an option given the grate and crank design.

Not sure this makes a difference for you, but something I thought you'd wanna know. :dude:

Hack

Reaction score
Hack, I spoke to my buddy last night about his grill. There is one complaint. Indirect cooking and adding charcoal. He said it's annoying tucking the coal over to the right. He'd rather open the top and drop it in. Which is not an option given the grate and crank design.

Not sure this makes a difference for you, but something I thought you'd wanna know. :dude:

Yes, thank you. :dude:

I will have to check that out more closely. It may be a killer for this one.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
You want to grill, get a grill. You want to smoke, get a smoker. You can use either for either, but it's kinda like playing banjo parts on a baritone guitar.

Which should not be read as limiting yourself to 1 of each, of course. Mine?
22" Weber One-Touch (free)
22" Weber Performer (One-Touch on a cart w/propane ignition) (Father's Day gift)
17" Weber w/rotiserie (garage sale - $30)
Weber Genesis propane (gets used about every 4 years) (garage sale - $35)
Brinkman charcoal smoker (garage sale new - $25)
Brinkman propane smoker (garage sale -$30; also use the burner for brewing)

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Grill? geeze...meanwhile us Northener's are looking for deals on snow shovels and block heaters

you guys suck haha

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
I aint see no food... or beer.

FAIL!

:thumb:

Natural Lump Charcoal?

Well, I failed there... I was on the phone and drinking beer while tending the tri-tip... But turned out nice. Great flavor, smokey, did a quick rub of brown sugar, pepper, garlic salt and chili powder, nothing fancy... And yeah, natural mesquite charcoal, no lighter fluid.

I was going to throw on some brats tonight, but it's windy as sh*t... bummer.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Grill? geeze...meanwhile us Northener's are looking for deals on snow shovels and block heaters

you guys suck haha

These are not mutually exclusive. I revel in digging my way to the grill; cold ambient temps make the charcoal flavor soak in better!

Latest Threads