Recommend me a good charcoal grill for under $200...

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
My $99 propane grill has been rusted out for a while... I thought about ordering new grills for it, but they are $70...lame. So, I've been going through withdrawals for a while now, it's winter, and it's time to BBQ!!!

I like to grill and smoke. I'm looking at either those Chargriller models at Lowes that you can hook a smoke box to, or, a good ol' fashioned Weber grill... Not sure how easy smoking will be with the Weber though.

Not quite ready to make the jump to a $800-$1000 professional smoker yet, so I'm looking for something to get the job done under $200.

Suggestions?

:cool2:

Ed B

Reaction score
Chargriller. I've had mine for over 10 years. Cast iron grates. I'd buy another in a heart beat. I also have a Weber kettle. Doesn't even come close.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Walmart had some sick $99 deals last Thursday, keep your eye on the circulars on sunday.......

TLI-Inferno

Reaction score
I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, been craving a grill for a very long time. I miss grilled steaks, grilled burgers, grilled shrimp, man...

Ed B

Reaction score
PS

The smoke box looks cool, but I never use mine. It takes logs to get the main chamber hot enough. I do indirect all it the time with it. 18 briquettes every 45 minutes and needle will stay put forever.

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
Chargriller. I've had mine for over 10 years. Cast iron grates. I'd buy another in a heart beat. I also have a Weber kettle. Doesn't even come close.

Walmart had some sick $99 deals last Thursday, keep your eye on the circulars on sunday.......

I've had my eye on a Chargriller for a while now... Yours lasted 10 years so far huh? That's plenty durable for what I'm looking for...

I'm off to Lowes and Wally World... I should return with some sort of cooking apparatus, and meat of course. :cool:

Ed B

Reaction score
excellent! It's been about 14 years. Can't recommend it enough.

Ermghoti

Reaction score

??

This is the first positive comparison I've ever seen Chargriller vs Weber. The cheap barrel grills can't be used with a sidebox, as the temperatures are all over the place. I guess if you just want a massive grilling surface, go ahead and try one of the bigger ones.

I bought an inexpensive grill once, and it disintegrated in a couple of years, whereas the Weber has been at least five without any appreciable wear, and I kept it outside that time, lacking any better storage options.

Sakamoto

Reaction score
??

This is the first positive comparison I've ever seen Chargriller vs Weber. The cheap barrel grills can't be used with a sidebox, as the temperatures are all over the place. I guess if you just want a massive grilling surface, go ahead and try one of the bigger ones.

I bought an inexpensive grill once, and it disintegrated in a couple of years, whereas the Weber has been at least five without any appreciable wear, and I kept it outside that time, lacking any better storage options.

Same experience here!

I'd never buy anything but a Weber again! I'm on my second in 18 years!

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
Webers are very nice, but you will pay for them! Typically when you pay good money, you will take better care as well. For Charcoal I wouldn't own anything but a big can Weber! For propane, there is much to choose from.

I would never buy any grill with less than 4 burners, and must have cast iron grates and burners (maybe the next will have brass burners). Brand will matter if looking at the money by 100 bills (meaning if you are looking at a 700.00 weber and comparing to a 200.00 Charbroiler, there is no comparing.) Cast iron burners will cancer out if you grill a lot in the winter. Brass burners are great but again you typically will pay for them. Before buying a grill, look at the replacement burner price from their websight and see if the burners are a common run for that manufacturer. Some times they will have a "special" model and the burners are outrageously expensive to replace.

I have an Aussie brand. Not the best, but I have had it for about 8 years now and replaced the burners for the second time (cast iron $17.00 each (x6)) . It still looks great and just starting to have some issues with the ignition module. Its a propane grilling beast!

Good luck!

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
As for smoking with propane: I use a cast iron box (approx. 6"x8"x 2" with lid). Run one burner for the box and keep the meat on the other side.. To some, this is more of a hybrid smoke since the temp will be a bit higher than desired for a day of smoking. I am good with that. If I want to smoke something, I have an electric smoker as well.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IMHO you get a Weber Kettle and then a seperate Smoker.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Chargriller. Going on ten years of commercial use. Cast iron grates for cook quality and you can remove the hot coals by lifting out the charcoal tray so it can tear it down quickly at off-site events.

I have had that puppy literally cherry red. Elbow length hot gloves and five minute shifts pulling brats off the grill as fast as possible at a neighborhood picnic. The coal grates are warped quite a bit, and the paint is blistered off, but it still soldiers on.

I didn't install the side shelves on mine and I have the legs attached to the barrel by pins instead of bolts so it breaks down to transport. I am very happy with it and I'm surprised how inexpensive it was.

I never do smoke or indirect with it, that's not what it's for.

Comanche

Reaction score
Weber 22.5 One touch gold. $149.
This will be the last grill you ever buy.
1000947_077924018664_A_400.jpg

Hack

Reaction score
Got my eye on this one.

Has a few features that I like.
•Front access charcoal door with cool-touch handle for tending fire with minimum heat loss

•Adjustable-height, crank-mechanism fire grate with cool-touch handle to easily adjust as necessary

•Two adjustable side dampers and adjustable smokestack damper for maintaining cooking temperature

•Pull-out ash drawer for easy clean-up

My 14 year old Char Griller has seen its last hamburger this weekend. I think I know what Santa will be sliding down my chimney this year.

...but this is for grilling & BB-Q only... my Oklahoma Joe smoker does all the other work.

Grand Pappy

Reaction score
Weber 22.5 One touch gold. $149.
This will be the last grill you ever buy.
1000947_077924018664_A_400.jpg

That's the one. I'll last forever. My old one is 32 years old and still does the job.
New one is 12 years old. I still use them both all year round. :thumb:

tinman402

Reaction score
+1 on the weber above.. I have cooked tons of meat on those and never had a bad day of grilling with it.. Great compact easy to use grill.

Electroman67

Reaction score
This is a Char-griller 50/50 propane/charcoal grill, nicest grill i've had to date & i got it on sale for $200....at Lowes i think.

currently $450ish at amazon...keep an eye out for one on sale, this thing rocks.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-5050-Duo-Gas-and-Charcoal-Grill/dp/B001CJKUO4]Amazon.com: Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Ed B

Reaction score
??

Are you sure you aren't confusing Chargriller with Charbroil?? It's world apart. There is nothing cheap about the Chargriller, except the price.

Don't get the sidebox. It's not worth it. Sorry, thought I mentioned that. It does make my grill look more serious though. :laugh2:

My kettle didn't come with the flip up grate. Ever try to smoke a pork shoulder on a kettle? It's a f*king nightmare. The Chargriller has 4 cast iron grates. I set all 4 grates on one side and leave the other side open for replenishing coal, every 45 minutes. I've cooked as long as 12 hours in one sitting without the temp going anywhere. Literally. It was simply an oven. And I did not mod the grill. Some fill misc. screw holes with screws and even line it with tin foil. I never needed to do so.

Weber grills are great I'm not dogging them at all. Just making a comparison based on over a decade of hosting charcoal loving BBQ's.

I also have a Big Green Egg. This slays them both 100x over. :naughty:

Chargriller in action as a smoker...

bcchicken.jpg

Latest Threads