recomend me some affordable bridge pickups for my les paul.

logen99999

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm aiming to replace a seymour duncan JB in the bridge position in my les paul. i would like something in the PAF flavor to replace it. my budget is about 80$ so i'm looking for an affordable option.

my style of music is very AC/DCish open chords, bluesy riffage.

the pickups i am thinking about are the seymour ducan 59, seth lover, pearly gates. i already tried dimarzio 36th anniversary pickups and wasn't into them.

i'm looking for something open sounding, a good balance of mids lows and highs and slightly aggressive/hot to compliment the bridge position.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score

logen99999

Reaction score
they look great but a bit over my budget. i'm trying to keep it at 80$ max.

Dougie

Reaction score
We'd all like $2/gal gas too.. Get over the whining and buy something that sounds good. You get what you pay for.

ARandall

Reaction score
The newest Duncan is good. The Custom/59 hybrid. I've got one in my studio and its not moving. Its got some of the open PAF vibe from the '59 coil, but some serious grunt courtesy of the Custom coil. Due to the coil mismatch the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, The lead tone is singing but uncompressed.

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm aiming to replace a seymour duncan JB in the bridge position in my les paul. i would like something in the PAF flavor to replace it. my budget is about 80$ so i'm looking for an affordable option.

my style of music is very AC/DCish open chords, bluesy riffage.

the pickups i am thinking about are the seymour ducan 59, seth lover, pearly gates. i already tried dimarzio 36th anniversary pickups and wasn't into them.

i'm looking for something open sounding, a good balance of mids lows and highs and slightly aggressive/hot to compliment the bridge position.

From your choices, the Seth Lover would be my pick but they usually run over $80. Well worth it in my opinion, tho.

If you are willing to go used, scour Ebay for used Gibson pickup, you can usually find some pretty reasonable. There is usually a good selection of Burstbucker pros.

If you really want to save some cash, good used 490R's can often be had for under $50. One of those and a magnet swap will get you into PAF territory for cheap. Highly underrated pickups in my opinion.

Reaction score
The newest Duncan is good. The Custom/59 hybrid. I've got one in my studio and its not moving. Its got some of the open PAF vibe from the '59 coil, but some serious grunt courtesy of the Custom coil. Due to the coil mismatch the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, The lead tone is singing but uncompressed.

Where did you find the Hybrid? I've been wanting to get one.

C Squared

Reaction score
I think it was Banjomikez or something similar that had them for sale a while back. I got mine the old fashioned way by pulling 2 pickups apart.

I've dealt with Mike on a number of occasions. Has a HUGE stock of pups in all the oddball colors, and if he doesn't have it will get it to you fast.

Tonyd

Reaction score
Check out Manlius and Zhangbucker PUs. They are in your price range. Both great builders and great prices.

I bought Mick Manlius' Studbucker and love it. Watch the Studbucker video he does some AC/DC. Also, his Landmark and Fat Diane are really nice, plus he does modern winds as well.

Manlius Guitar Pickups - Humbuckers

David Plummer is Zhangbucker. I bought his Mini-PAFs to replace P-90s in my LP. Sweet!! Lots of HB selections. He recently rolled back his prices and if you mention the bunny beatdown he'll take another $5 off to get you to $80.

Humbuckers - Zhangbucker Pickups

Tonyd

Reaction score
Search for both and you find lots of threads.

Eggman

Reaction score
Howdy,

Consider DiMarzio's affordable Air Classic bridge. It's vintage voiced and sounds great in the neck of my ES-335; obviously mine's a neck model. Enhanced touch-sensitivity and a little extra sustain are also part of the package with the Air Classic. Good luck.

PS: The Air Classic is voiced quite differently from the 36th Anniversary, with a pleasing balance of Bass/Mids and Treble.

Latest Threads