Recessed inlays?

Nintari

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before? I got a brand new Southern Jumbo and it's pretty much perfect... aside from a couple of the parallelograms inlays. Seems they weren't seated all the way at the factory or something. If I play an E chord, my index lays right on the corner of the inlay where it dips in ever so slightly and it's sort of annoying. I checked the rest of them after that and there's a couple more dips here and there up the fretboard, but that's it.

Anyone else get a guitar like that? Also, do you think it's something that could cause issues down the line structurally? Or is it just a little annoyance that I should probably get use to? Because other than that, the guitar is great and I really don't want to send it back.

diavolo

Reaction score
are you saying in the inlay is lower than the surrounding fingerboard?

typically inlays are set in and then its all sanded level before the fret wires put in.
sounds like the material they used is too thin?

ARandall

Reaction score
I always thought in the back of my mind that the parallelograms were MOP.
Often the cellulose nitrate inlays are laid into a curved/radiused rout, and then you could have a corner being a bit low as part of that.
But MOP is not in any way bendable. So that has to be laid in the flat fretboard and radiused with the fretboard surface.

Nintari

Reaction score
are you saying in the inlay is lower than the surrounding fingerboard?

typically inlays are set in and then its all sanded level before the fret wires put in.
sounds like the material they used is too thin?
Yes, the edge of the inlay is lower than the surrounding fretboard. So when you lay your finger down on it, you can feel it dip in a little.

But really, all I want to know is if this is just going to be an annoyance/cosmetic/feel thing or if it can cause structural issues with the fretboard down the line so I can decide what I'm going to do. Because I don't know about some of you, but I can't just freely throw this kind of coin around willy nilly lol. I want to find a keeper.

Last edited:

diavolo

Reaction score
it won't cause structural issues.
if youre feeling brave perhaps you can put some sort of resin on top of it and bring it back to level.

Nintari

Reaction score
it won't cause structural issues.
if youre feeling brave perhaps you can put some sort of resin on top of it and bring it back to level.
I wouldn't even think about it lol. But maybe I can get a luthier to do something like that. Maybe he can somehow refit it?

Latest Threads