Recent quality at Gibson is stunning.

Sirstringalot

Reaction score
Take it from a fender guy who bought two les pauls this year and is blown away at the quality. As a fender player I bought a Gibson here and there in years past, about 15 years ago and again around 7 years ago and wasn't impressed but these 2021 models are stunning.
New Fenders are still hit and miss, took me three tries to get a strat that didn't have playability issues. It's a joy to me that you take take a Gibson out of the box and play it, every time I bought a new fender I would have to do a complete set up and then hope it played properly up and down the neck.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I’m fairly new to Gibsons but have had great experience with the 2020 onward models as well. Most I play seem to be great out of the box with just needing a minor tweak here or there in set up for personal preference. Maybe I’m just not as experienced or discerning but more than happy with most of the examples I’ve played. Of course there’s always a few duds but it seems to be more the exception that the norm.

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
very impressed with my 2020 standard 60s. Nice and clear low output pickups, stays in tune, looks the part, plays great. No stupid rim bursts and pink plastics. Nibs are like the ones i had on my R8 and custom, as opposed to the huge obtrusive USA ones of old

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's refreshing. We've been having new posts about QC issues weekly.
Did any of you guys play the guitar before buying or was it all online?

bad565ss

Reaction score
I have owned many Les Pauls dating from 1985 forward. I just took delivery of a 2021 Iced Tea
60s Standard from Sweetwater.
Fit and finish is flawless.
One of the best I've seen out of the box.
Even the nut is properly cut.

mjross

Reaction score
That's refreshing. We've been having new posts about QC issues weekly.
Did any of you guys play the guitar before buying or was it all online?
Bought mine on line from SW, had to see what all the hype was about! Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised. After reading some of the posts you would think the guitars are no better than firewood. I just could not believe the discrepancy claims in regard to QC. I’m just not seeing it, mine was perfect!

questionman

Reaction score
I was so impressed with my buddys LP Special I bought it from him on the spot

If that says anything...

peobryant

Reaction score
My '18 Traditional and '19 '50s Standard. both bought from Wildwood are flawless as well. As is my American Pagey Telecaster, also bought from Wildwood. I don't know if that says more about Gibson and Fender, or Wildwood, though.

mjross

Reaction score
My '18 Traditional and '19 '50s Standard. both bought from Wildwood are flawless as well. As is my American Pagey Telecaster, also bought from Wildwood. I don't know if that says more about Gibson and Fender, or Wildwood, though.
They need a good subject to start with!

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1321546F-568B-42A5-B759-34F716227715.jpeg

speyfly

Reaction score
I've had the same experience as the OP! You can get a bad one but no complaints...

moreles

Reaction score
Gibson's designs are inherently difficult to execute to the level of precision everyone demands. This has always been true, and Gibson has always drawn criticism for lapses -- sometimes spectacular -- in fit and finish. This is sometimes due to negligence, poor management, (Contrast Gibson's binding w/ PRS's faux binding, for instance.) The company ethos has always been to move product regardless. The previous regime sacrificed human employee time-on-task and attention to detail in search of bottom line profits; the current crew believes that acceptable and consistent quality is essential to the profitability of the brand long-term. Gibson still has plenty of problems with handwork, as in binding bleed, for ex., but the overall quality -- sound and playability as well as detailing -- does seem to be improving, which is wonderful.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Just started experiencing the tuning issues on the g and b string...sigh* To be fair, I've been working on 1 1/2 step bends, so really putting stress on them. But I've been having to re-tune after a single run on a song.

mjross

Reaction score
Just started experiencing the tuning issues on the g and b string...sigh* To be fair, I've been working on 1 1/2 step bends, so really putting stress on them. But I've been having to re-tune after a single run on a song.
That’s rock and roll!

Edit: One word, Steinberger. Lol…

Last edited:

hotshot

Reaction score
I bought a Standard in August and it was perfect as far looks and fit and finish. It was a demo but I drove to Sweetwater to pick it up. The only thing I had Sweetwater do to it was install a bone nut and have a setup performed. It wasn't bad before but it is perfect now !!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I once had a tech from one of the large box stores (I'm not going to say which one) tell me they have more problems with the Fenders than the Gibsons.

Latest Threads