Rebuilding the 50's Standard :=)

rbraad68

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I'm in the process of rebuilding the gold top. I know alot of you guys think i'm nuts for doing some of the stuff I do to these perfectly new guitars i buy. Soooo with that said i'm redoing the gold top to the way I want it. When I did the E-serts on this guitar i had not experianced just how awesome these faber bridges are with the locking tail piece. This was my first time when doing this guitar so i put the E-serts into the guitar using a small hole tone pro bridge and a Gotoh alum tail piece with the faber bushings for the tail piece. So this time around I went with the whole kit in aged nickel and what parts i have left i'll save for another project mainly the E-serts cause once these things are in the guitar there neve comming [email protected]@@!!

Anyways I took the " custom" pro bucker pups out of the slash guitar and in the process of installing then into the gold top. there pretty nice pups the have the braided wire and no covers. I thought they sounded good in the slash guitar. I'm also replacing the 50's harness with a 50's obsidian harness and will install a switch craft toggle the obsidian harness already comes with a switch craft toggle. So now i'm in the process of fitting the harness and getting the pot shaft hieghts right. I will have to order the correct knobs since the harness uses the non metric splines,, Here are a couple pics of what i'm upto and will post more as I go. Feel free to comet or call me an idiot lol !! I learn from you guys so it all helps in the end..

Attachments

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Brother I’ve been joked and harassed for modifying and rebuilding guitars for years. Here’s the thing. It don’t matter if it’s 500$ 5000$ or 500000$. If you want to change something you do it bro. Don’t listen to others. Your guitar is your guitar, and if something isn’t exactly how you want it, then how can you be 100% happy with it? Looks beautiful man. Good luck to you!

rbraad68

Reaction score
Brother I’ve been joked and harassed for modifying and rebuilding guitars for years. Here’s the thing. It don’t matter if it’s 500$ 5000$ or 500000$. If you want to change something you do it bro. Don’t listen to others. Your guitar is your guitar, and if something isn’t exactly how you want it, then how can you be 100% happy with it? Looks beautiful man. Good luck to you!
thx man this is sorta a hobby for me keeps me outa trouble. right now i have two projects going on. i recently bought a slash guitar. i tore it down to the body and put a set of SD pups in it and a gold switch craft toggle with a cream ish tip on it. just waiting on the faber kit to get here and that one will be ready to set up and play.. here's a pic of what it looks like now...

**Edit**
this is one i just finished. SD pups obsidian push pull harness switch craft toggle and out put jack and faber bridge kit...
60s 02.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Davey Rock

Reaction score
thx man this is sorta a hobby for me keeps me outa trouble. right now i have two projects going on. i recently bought a slash guitar. i tore it down to the body and put a set of SD pups in it and a gold switch craft toggle with a cream ish tip on it. just waiting on the faber kit to get here and that one will be ready to set up and play.. here's a pic of what it looks like now...

**Edit**
this is one i just finished. SD pups obsidian push pull harness switch craft toggle and out put jack and faber bridge kit... View attachment 552342
Yessir that’s a beaut. Keep up the good work man!

orrb_05

Reaction score
I'm about to venture down the same road my friend. Want to replace the tuners, wiring, select lever, and pots on all three of my customs - maybe pickups (undecided as I do like the probuckers - call me weird). Keep up the tinkering, while others might nag, it inspires me!!

ucsteve

Reaction score
well for my next trick, this is going to become a 5 or 6 string baritone-like thing. Forgive the lack of Les Paulness

Attachments

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am the kind of person who will void the warranty on a new guitar within the first couple of weeks :)
I've used the whole Faber package for the last 7 years on my Les Pauls, being it Epiphone or Gibson USA.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I'm about to venture down the same road my friend. Want to replace the tuners, wiring, select lever, and pots on all three of my customs - maybe pickups (undecided as I do like the probuckers - call me weird). Keep up the tinkering, while others might nag, it inspires me!!
i will usually get a new guitar and do the basic stuff i do to all my guitars and that's either a set of kluson or grover locking tuners. LOL i have a box full of unused tuners from these epiphones...!! Latley i have been on the faber kick but those are expensive kits so i will usually just get some tone pro bridges. After that i'll just tinker with the guitar getting it playing right, Then i decide if it's going to be a keeper or just another one to add to the collection. This 50's gold top has always been a fovorite of mine and i will spare no expense to get it to where i want it. i took the seymours out of it and swapped them for the custom buckers that came in my slash. I have a good feeling about these pups. they sounded great in the slash so i figure i'll use them in this 50's guitar. Today i think im going to get the obsidian harness grounded and output jack hooked up. I am really wanting to use a switch craft toggle in this thing so i eaither have to wait or use one of the many stock toggles i have laying around.. I figure i take my time with this thing it's going to be nice! I already have the e-serts and god knows they are never comming out!!!

Latest Threads