Rebuilding a tele..... pickup suggestions?

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
In the comments for the video he mentions that they're his own O.C.Duff Pickups. Buckaroos with staggered pole pieces. But the webpage does not load. He does have a Facebook page that was updated a few weeks ago.

Did it ever say what pickups they were?

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
Bootstrap. If you don't like them you're not out much money. But you'll like them.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I really like my set of Fender vintage 64's. The tele is the only guitar I ever take to play out and it covers just about everything.
I have been watching videos and to my ears I like these best. However I have no idea what kind of setup the video producers are using. So a couple of questions if you don't mind.

How noisy are they?
What capacitor do you use ?
I am thinking of 4 way switching. Any thoughts?

Guitarhack

Reaction score
For tele pickups contact one of these two guys:

Don Mare http://www.buckcannon.com/

Rob DiStefano - Cavalier Pickups http://www.frettech.com/

Both make great tele pickups and will work with you to find what ever sound you are looking for. If you are looking for references just do a search over on TDPRI. I've got a set of Mare's in my tele and they are fantastic.

Marco78

Reaction score
I am, more or less, in your situation with Strat pickups. I can give you one suggestion: the Fender pickups are so simple and it must not cost more that 200-250 $. I see some stupid prices asked for 6 little magnets and magnet wire that cost 20 $. Don't bite!

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Went with the Fender vintage 64 pickups. 4 way switching. I have the body all wired up and waiting for the new reamer to get here so I can get the locking tuners on. I tested the pickups and the switching is right.

Gclef

Reaction score
Harmonic design..

I have the vintage plus set in my parts tele. They were the first, last, and only set it has seen.

Use 500k pots with an .022 cap and a treble bleed and you can get classic tele sounds up to hard rock with a spin of the knobs.

The vintage plus neck is by far my favorite neck sound.

NotScott

Reaction score
51 Nocasters from the Custom Shop... Twang and Shimmer!

I will second the Nocaster bridge pickup but I prefer the Fender American Standard Hot neck instead of the Nocaster neck. This is the pairing I have in my CS Nocaster. The Hot Standard balances better in level and has balls without sacrificing brightness. You should be able to find the two for under $150 new or even less used and you won't lose much if you decide they are not for you.

Latest Threads