Reasons you DO NOT use pedals

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have very few pedals. I guess back when I started playing I couldn't really afford them :rofl: So I got used to doing without.

This is still all I have:

Reverb
Blues Driver
Looper
Trio

And yes, those last 2 aren't for tone shaping. I probably should add delay, chorus and maybe a wah.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have about 3 dozen but don't use them. They're cheaper to collect than guitars, but I can't be arsed to run extra cables and power to use them. But I enjoy plugging them in to hear what they sound like before I mothball them.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batteries dead, no wall wart, bypassed.

My new Marshall SV20H has me leaning away from pedals due to its naturally overdriven nature.I still like a reverb in the loop though. And pedals are fun.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When playing through one of my non-Spark amps, I use an RP500 tweaked from hell.... I still use very little 'pedal' as I like the sound of my amps.... May use a little wet....sometimes some dirt or chorus but nothing radical....

Guitarist in band I am slider munky with uses a three chan Boogie combo with wet. No pedals.... Just the control stomp for the Boogie...

Many folks never actually hear their own amps.... They hear that conglomeration of pedals..... Sweet sounding amp and you can add touches of color without losing the amp OR your guitar...

If you can, at any time, unplug a Lester and plug in something different but it still sounds the same, you need maybe to turn your shit off and do some soul searching....

brianbzed

Reaction score
Do some of you who DO NOT use pedals, do so because you feel you loose a bit of instant response? Almost as if, with pedals you lose that immediate attack, almost like there is a micro second of latency for the things to respond and you’ve lost the inspiration as your ears try and keep up?

Just curious if some feel like this?
Been known to go either way...depends really on the gig...my 90's rig was a Boogie Mk-II B and a crybaby...cover band stuff in the 80's, I had to have channel switching and, at the very least, a chorus pedal. A good amp was paramount. Times have changed, I have been doing a lot of gigs without an amp- pedalboard straight into the mixing board. not to sound redundant, but it depends on the gig! FWIW

Dazza

Reaction score
Having played for 40 years with all manner of amps, pedals, rack preamps and digital modelling I'm happiest now being totally old school. Great guitars and straight forward non master amps with plenty of natural dynamics, then I might add varied effects for colours / textures. What worked for the classic music I cover also works for me. I'm content being a dinosaur.

The modern method is typically the opposite with the amp being a pedal platform for gain stacking. It's not for me. I don't use modern high gain and I find the natural interaction / feel / dynamic between my guitar and amp is lost if I introduce a gain pedal. And the gain sounds 'plasticky'. Although sometimes I may use a fuzz or clean boost if required.

I only play live so for those who play at home, or with a recording set up (as most have now) my 60's / 70's method doesn't really suit. It's a completely different context. At home if I play it's direct into a 1973X. It's liberating playing a simple amp with a limited tone stack and no pedals. Each guitar sounds different.

Even TPS made a show addressing those of us who don't use drive pedals. And while I don't agree with their typical approach I do enjoy and appreciate the channel. Regardless of method it's whatever inspires one to play. We're all different.

Daz

Last edited:

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah -- I have three 11-gallon flip-top bins full of pedals, an accumulation over a number of years.

I use one big pedal (a Helix Floor) these days because I hate arriving at a venue and spending a lot of flop sweat trying to find the one connection (out of maybe 20) that's screwing up the entire pedalboard before our start time. There are a multitude of other reasons, of course, but latency isn't one of them. When I go direct into an amp and bypass pedals, it's because I'm supremely lazy and because direct is...good enough.

A Helix Floor? Tell me more about this thing and what it does.

angeldeville

Reaction score
because they are all the way over there, and I have to have another geetar cable, and plug them into a power source, and if I want to run some through and effect loop then that's two more cables, and they all have a bunch of dials and switches and the lights hurt my eyes.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have a ton of pedals but I'm now down to a tuner, wah, and vibe in the front and only a delay/reverb in the loop. I just hate all the cables. I've tried looking at multi-effects boards in the past but all of them look confusing as shit. I want a few effects, not an operating board for a space shuttle.

And it's not just cables, most loops on any amp change the tone of the amp to some degree, some more than others. I never use the loop on my Mesa TC-50 because it slightly changes the tone in a way I don't like. Other loops might give you a headache because they're finicky in general. I get a ton of hum with the effects loop on my Bogner XTC if my pedals are sitting in a certain spot on the floor. I'm always moving them around and it''s annoying as hell lol. All I really need is a little reverb and the occasional delay and I'm mostly set. I don't really want anything else running in a loop. I wish all amps came with onboard spring reverb but unfortunately they do not.

Some loops (like my JCM800) make a pop sound when I engage a pedal. It's kind of irritating so I don't really use it for that. Pedals and effects can be a real pain if you hate hum/noisy crap.

mdubya

Reaction score
Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood tour the world with guitars plugged into 50 watt fender twins. Nothing in the chain.

PVz9264.jpg

whatshisname

Reaction score
I just don't want to be bothered with them. I didn't even use a tuner pedal until fairly recently. Not even a footswitch for channel switching- my guitar controls and picking technique does it all. I do have a collection of fuzzes(and a couple of other things for fun) that I enjoy at home, though. But I am usually just straight into an amp.

hbucker

Reaction score
I'm lazy.

Also, through the years, I've searched for the amp that will sound the way I want it to sound (the tone in my head). I'm no purist. I use delay, chorus, etc to modify that sound as needed. But that's the tone I want as my go to.

I do play in a cover band. And the above sound is my base tone for 80% of what we play. For a song here and there that requires a different tone to sound more authentic, I'll use a pedal, but just for that kind of song. Then it's back to my old standby.

Ive found that very believable tones can be obtained from one setup if I just play the song well (practice) and know how to get different sounds out of my guitar. Often, it's the player, not the amp. But the amp is there to inspire the player.

Finding this has helped me to be lazy.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
I cannot possibly imagine how you could play in a cover band and NOT use pedals.

I get what you're saying but for me, I'm not all that great at copying other people's sounds in the first place so I've adjusted over the years to bring my own style and sounds when playing cover songs.

I keep the basic structure, notes, chords, etc with each song so the songs don't become too for off from the originals, but I don't go for keeping exact sounds using pedals or effects. I'm not a live jukebox striving for an exact copy, but my own player adding (or subtracting) as I feel needed.

That said, I run straight from guitar to amp with only a wah in the middle when I feel like stepping on it.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
While I do understand what everyone is saying about "making it my own", so many covers that we play require sounds other than clean, crunch or some combination thereof.

Many songs need chorus, phase, flange, wah, delay, and even fuzz. And, some need combinations of all of them. When you are ripping through a set, you need to be able to call them up at will, since sometimes the required sound changes mid-song.

It's not like trying to be a jukebox and covering everything note-4-note and sound-4-sound. But, you do need to get the overall feel, sound and tone of the song(s).

No mater how good you think that you might be, you just cannot get those sounds out of your fingers. :laugh2:

hbucker

Reaction score
While I do understand what everyone is saying about "making it my own", so many covers that we play require sounds other than clean, crunch or some combination thereof.

Many songs need chorus, phase, flange, wah, delay, and even fuzz. And, some need combinations of all of them. When you are ripping through a set, you need to be able to call them up at will, since sometimes the required sound changes mid-song.

It's not like trying to be a jukebox and covering everything note-4-note and sound-4-sound. But, you do need to get the overall feel, sound and tone of the song(s).

No mater how good you think that you might be, you just cannot get those sounds out of your fingers. :laugh2:

I think it really depends on the kind of cover band you are. If you're a wedding band playing everything under the sun - I totally agree with you. Also, tribute bands need to ape exact tones as much as possible.

But a cover band playing classic stadium rock of the 70s doesn't necessarily have to spread too far into different tonal landscapes much, if ever.

A band playing the songs very well, regardless of how exact specific tones are, goes a long way too. Play it well and tight... The crowd tends to like it no matter what.

In my band, I need a few pedals beyond delay, chorus etc. But like I said, adjustments with my basic tone covers about 80% of what we play.

But to your point, I do use pedals - just as few as possible.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have to get the exact sound....or even super duper extremely close to it.... if you know and can play the parts. Learn em. The popcorn munchers ain't gonna run out to the Suburu and listen to the CD and compare... They don't know and don't care if you can mimic ever little facet of the original Dirts, Warps, and Wets on the recording. Everybody has Dirt, too many different Warps and Wets.... Just Wet it with what you've got and play the damn parts like you own em....

mdubya

Reaction score
I always had exquisite amp tone when playing live. That didn't stop me from having TWO fuzz pedals and a wah and sometimes a phaser, too.

Getting lead tone from amp gain does not necessarily give you moral superiority. :p

Latest Threads