Reason Some YouTube Players Stay on YouTube

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Listen. I can speak in front of people, unscripted, and I won’t break a fukin’ sweat. But put a guitar in my hand and I fall to pieces. Go figure. I know; pussy.
I used to kinda be this way until I forced myself to join a band. I probably played for 3-4 years without anyone ever really hearing me. I played with these people for 5-6 months and I just got over it over time. I know I’m an average player at best and it’s fine with me. The other players were better than me but I was able to keep up.

Anyone you play in front of who knows nothing about playing guitar, but likes rock music will think whatever you play sounds good. It’s playing in front of people who are really good that’s more stressful.

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Youtube shredders don't do well in band settings for the same reasons at-home players struggle when they first join a band. You go from playing to a track (robot) to real people and it's a different situation. You can't just wail over every song in a band situation like you do at home over a track. It's like shooting hoops alone and then joining a basketball team. There are other people who are going to be handling the ball other than you.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Youtube shredders don't do well in band settings for the same reasons at-home players struggle when they first join a band. You go from playing to a track (robot) to real people and it's a different situation. You can't just wail over every song in a band situation like you do at home over a track. It's like shooting hoops alone and then joining a basketball team. There are other people who are going to be handling the ball other than you.
Bingo.
What do you hear when an inexperienced guitarist loses his place/misses a queue?
"The bass player threw me off"

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Bingo.
What do you hear when an inexperienced guitarist loses his place/misses a queue?
"The bass player threw me off"
Lol and I’ve been that guy before. It just takes practice before you get a feel for it.

I’ve also had people play so loud I couldn’t hear a damn thing in a mix. That will definitely “throw you off” LOL

Last edited:

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol and I’ve been that guy before. It just takes practice before you get a feel for it.

I’ve also had people play so loud I couldn’t hear a damn thing in a mix. That will definitely “throw you off” LOL
Even better is when the entire band misses a queue or jumps to the chorus early at the same time.
The best was a friends band that launched into the same wrong song that wasn’t anywhere on their set list. They were halfway through before they noticed.

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Even better is when the entire band misses a queue or jumps to the chorus early at the same time.
The best was a friends band that launched into the same wrong song that wasn’t anywhere on their set list. They were halfway through before they noticed.
Lol yeah, bands require chemistry to some degree. Finding a band is like looking for a significant other. You can have 4 good players in a room but it all sounds awful if no one is on the same page, just like you can have 2 good people in a relationship who just don’t communicate or gel together. They don’t end up working out for the same reasons.

Home grown bedroom shredders are usually anti-social types who lack communication skills. It’s no surprise they don’t do well in real bands.

outlawten5

Reaction score
Lol yeah, bands require chemistry to some degree. Finding a band is like looking for a significant other. You can have 4 good players in a room but it all sounds awful if no one is on the same page, just like you can have 2 good people in a relationship who just don’t communicate or gel together. They don’t end up working out for the same reasons.

Home grown bedroom shredders are usually anti-social types who lack communication skills. It’s no surprise they don’t do well in real bands.
I agree to a point. I think most shredders who achieved success started out as reclusive teens who practiced 14 hours a day. Steve Vai is one example. These youtube shredders are older now, have responsibilities and face it, being a "Rockstar" isn't what it used to be. Some are making a pretty good living from youtube. If it works don't fix it mentality.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Jesus, nobody can even mention anxiety without a bunch of regressive scumbags coming out of the woodwork to say how medically recognized conditions are "fake news". Ugh...

it might just be a case of me being an asshole, but I'm so sick of hearing people talk about, "muh anxiety." Suddenly (seemingly) everyone in the past few years has anxiety and can't function as a human being. ... and half of them want weed prescriptions for 'their anxiety..

"You can leave your asthma, and your peanut allergies, and all that other made up bullshit outside."
Jeez, now allergies an asthma are "fake" too? There is almost no parodying the absurdity of this willful ignorance. What's next? "Death isn't real, just pull yourself back up by your bootstraps you fucking snowflakes!!!" :rolleyes:

Every psychologist knows that the ONLY way to deal with your anxiety or fear is to face it....not run away or be sheltered from it. And we are raising a generation that gets sheltered from things that upset them.
I love when people who have no freaking clue what they're talking about try to suggest psychologists or other experts are on their side. No, they are not. Try actually doing even the slightest bit of research. There are MANY ways to deal with anxiety, of which exposure is but ONE. In no way whatsoever is it the "ONLY". The most widely recognized and effective one is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
I don't like planes, I don't like flying, and I don't like heights. And every time I get on a plane I'm pretty much convinced I'm going to die and I'm walking onto my death machine. When I leave the house for the airport there's a part of me that thinks I'll never see the house again.
Mal, I have this ritual where I have to touch the skin of the aircraft as a board. It wards off the crash gremlins. Military or commercial flights, doesn't matter. Point to point or airborne operations, doesn't matter. Been doing it since the 80s.

So far that's saved me from a blown engine on one flight and a fire on the inside of the airplane on another. (Both military flights - glad I'm retired...)

OK touching the side of the aircraft had nothing to do with those situations, but I still make sure I touch the fuselage every time.

Screwy, ain't it?

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Mal, I have this ritual where I have to touch the skin of the aircraft as a board. It wards off the crash gremlins. Military or commercial flights, doesn't matter. Point to point or airborne operations, doesn't matter. Been doing it since the 80s.

So far that's saved me from a blown engine on one flight and a fire on the inside of the airplane on another. (Both military flights - glad I'm retired...)

OK touching the side of the aircraft had nothing to do with those situations, but I still make sure I touch the fuselage every time.

Screwy, ain't it?
Me too, but I touch the stewardesses bum, So far so good, except for a black eye and a kick to the nuts.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Been in bands.

Given the choice I'd rather be on Youtube.

Why stay there? Way more money, no drama, no travel, your own boss, free gear...

Play out if and when I want like many of them do.

It's not a question of capable. It's the smart choice if you love music.

100k+ subscribers

500k+ subscribers