Reason Some YouTube Players Stay on YouTube

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah it would probably take like 3-4 days to go coast to coast. It took 24 hours to go from DC to Chicago by train.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I get what everyone's saying about suck it up and go for it, but sometimes a man needs to know his limitations. He's said before that he hasn't played live in front of anyone since a few small gigs in high school. Imagine making a living staring at a webcam and jumping right in front of this crowd.

Screenshot_20191009-092901_Google.jpg

I mean, that's quite the leap. Sure, I'd give it a shot and probably be booted midway through the first set, but he recognized that he wasn't up for the job, and I don't see a problem in that.

And yes, he's a clown and super annoying at times, but he found his niche and is making a living. Meh.

mdubya

Reaction score
The funny thing is that YouTube and Instagram allow musicians to reach a far greater audience than actual playing live in a club would ever allow. The world has changed. People experience live music from home, now. They, for the most part, don't go out.

+1 on Dave Simpson. He is always entertaining. Without YouTube, he would be just another obscure guitar player doing pub gigs. Thanks to YouTube, I get to watch him perform week after week.

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is that YouTube and Instagram allow musicians to reach a far greater audience than actual playing live in a club would ever allow. The world has changed. People experience live music from home, now. They, for the most part, don't go out.
you're not wrong

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score

+1 on Dave Simpson. He is always entertaining. Without YouTube, he would be just another obscure guitar player doing pub gigs. Thanks to YouTube, I get to watch him perform week after week.
Yup. Like I said earlier, back in the day there were all these great players I either heard or heard of, who never left their basement or backyard. And that’s when a band could be self sufficient.
These days the YouTube guys likely make a lot more money than the guys trying to break into a place that holds more than 50 people on a good night.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Never heard of the guy or been to his channel. Sorry to say, he is annoying as fu*k. Not my cup a tea, but it may be age related. And WTF is with 2+ minute game ad/pitch. Complete turnoff, don't give a sh*t how good a player he is. I tune into Ben E. Rick B., and Dave S, and Andy (Shut Up and Play). I prefer the mature approach with some depth.

TrackerDan

Reaction score
Stevie reminds me of an old acquaintance Scott, He played the guitar flawlessly. A 1964 Jazzmaster Daphne Blue. He lived a little East off the Eastern part of my paper route, I could hear him playing every afternoon. Finally I gathered enough guts to just ride my bike over there and introduce myself. He was amicable and our ages were not to far apart. The only problem was Scott was a Hypodermic needle addict. He would shoot anything he could dissolve in water in a spoon. Mostly Barbiturates. Being a dumba**** 14 year old I thought we just had to get him playing more. So I spent the better part of a year trying to get him ship shape. Dealing with drug addiction and talent on loan from God is hard to do. At the same time I considered him a friend, I was watching him kill himself and there was nothing I could do about it. RIP Scott.

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it would probably take like 3-4 days to go coast to coast. It took 24 hours to go from DC to Chicago by train.
I've been from Boston to CA 3 different times on two different trains.
You aren't far off.
Next month I'm taking the California Zephyr from Sacramento to Denver. That's a beautiful ride.
When I first took the train they still had smoking cars. I'd play guitar in there and people would give me all sorts of free beverages!
The last time I noticed a big change in traveler interaction due to the advent of mobile devices. The first two times were epic though!

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah it was a really boring trip. But at least unlike a plane you can get up and walk around, go to the car that has food and sit there for a minute.

But it's like riding a city bus, the train is always making stops and that sucks up a lot of time.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I've watched his 'stand up". Not sure if its meant as strictly comedy.
But he talks about his 'anxiety' without ever calling it anxiety.
He goes on about facing 'his fears' head on.
Massively.
Not at all like I did.
I actually found his 'stand up' quite inspiring.

I wish 20 year old me could have heard what he has to say.
I was a fan of his ( through Black Flag ) at an early age , and he was much different then . very angry . I do like the way that he's " evolved " over the years . hos speaking engagements are amazing

as far as You Tubers go . I like Rick Beato and Paul Davids . he's a bit corny at times __ but his breakdowns are precise , and his lessons informative

Dovydas is also fun to watch

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Because they have issues. Not bad issues, but enough to keep them out of bands and off of stages.
Over the years I’ve met incredible players that you hear about from someone, go meet them at their mom’s house invite them to jam, get blown away by their playing and it dies there. They just don’t want to, or can’t, think about being on stage.

But with the internet these people can now become famous, or even like the awkward kid down the street, make $60k doing game and movie reviews.

Here’s Stevie T telling his Dragon Force story.

"Crippling anxiety".
That's pretty sad. It's a tough life for sure.
I hadn't heard of this guy before.
Good for him he got his Youtube thing going.

Leotis

Reaction score
Harry Rollins is a big hero of mine.
I really admire this guy.
I actually just learned about him this past year. From MLP no less.
I've still haven't listened to Black Flag yet. I'm really surprised that I haven't even heard of Black Flag TBH.

I wish 20 year old me could have heard what he has to say.
Henry Rollins...

And getchu some Black Flag! I highly recommend it!