Really Wanting To Pull The Trigger On A Bourbon Burst 60's

jstarr823

Reaction score
I'm always astounded at the "weight junkies" in here. So you had a fantastic guitar and sending it back because it's a bit heavy?

OH... I forgot...light guitars are full of magic and fairy dust. Got it.
Ever play a 10 pound Les Paul in the seated position? They have a tendency to be quite body heavy, so you get the reverse of neck dive. It’s actually uncomfortable and a bit awkward to play, thus taking away from the enjoyment, even if the guitar looks and sounds great. I’m not buying that it has some effect on tone, but I can vouch that it does impact playability... seemed like I was always fighting to keep the damn thing in my hands. Which had a direct impact on the left hand ergonomics. If everything else is equal, I’m taking the lighter guitar. Then again, I’m into skinny chicks too... I like things that are easy to toss around on the bed. That’s where a spend a fair amount of time “playing.” :D

And no offense, but the condescending remarks could be a bit offensive to people who simply like light guitars. Some dudes like their guitars blinged out in gold @Christosterone , some like chrome, and some like black. None of them are wrong. It’s simply a matter of personal taste.

MoJoe77

Reaction score
Ever play a 10 pound Les Paul in the seated position? They have a tendency to be quite body heavy, so you get the reverse of neck dive. It’s actually uncomfortable and a bit awkward to play, thus taking away from the enjoyment, even if the guitar looks and sounds great. I’m not buying that it has some effect on tone, but I can vouch that it does impact playability... seemed like I was always fighting to keep the damn thing in my hands. Which had a direct impact on the left hand ergonomics. If everything else is equal, I’m taking the lighter guitar. Then again, I’m into skinny chicks too... I like things that are easy to toss around on the bed. That’s where a spend a fair amount of time “playing.” :D

And no offense, but the condescending remarks could be a bit offensive to people who simply like light guitars. Some dudes like their guitars blinged out in gold @Christosterone , some like chrome, and some like black. None of them are wrong. It’s simply a matter of personal taste.
I steer clear of 10lb-ders and it has kept me from pulling the trigger on 3 of the 2019 60s bourbons I was interested in. Fully agree, not everyone likes a heavy LP and it absolutely can be what turns me away from a guitar. Having owned about 12 LPs of varying weight over the years I personally like them 9lbs or less. I have seen bourbons at 8.8lbs so I am holding out for the one of those.

dave19er

Reaction score
Yeah - I'm a weight junky, I jacked my shoulder up a few years back, and after a bunch of physical therapy, it's pretty good, but after a few hours playing, it can really start hurting. A few pounds can make a huge difference, which is a big part of the reason I bought a Sadowsky bass - they're chambered, and mine weighs a little over 7 lbs (they also feel and sound amazing). My main Jazz is pushing 10 lbs (I also have a '78 that's over 13lbs). The 50s Standard I just bought is 8.8 lbs, and I did think it sounded different than the other, heavier ones I played (most were mid to high 9s, one was mid 10). Some folks might think that has little effect on the sound, but packing more mass into the exact same amount of space is going to have some impact on how the guitar vibrates (and, thus, sounds), That's just physics. Now, whether that difference is noticeable is a whole other issue. I think I notice a difference - in my experience (and mine alone), I've found that lighter electric guitars - all other things being equal - tend to be louder acoustically, and that tends to translate into a tone that I prefer when amplified. So it's not /always/ the case, but I tend to use weight as shorthand for finding guitars that match the sound profile that I prefer. It's one of several filters i use to narrow down the search.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
If anybody remembers back in the wild west days of MLP I stated many times loudly that I would NEVER buy a new Gibson while Hank was at the helm. An easy threat to make with such a nice used market out there...but now Hank is not at the helm. And the new guy/team rolled out a line-up that I have been wishing for for years.

I love the no-nonsense, easy to understand, and logical order of the new guitars. Make the standard the standard, put the experimental stuff on a different line, and as a bonus they brought the prices back in line with the real world.

I am in love with the Bourbon burst finish, and the grovers, I'm not sure about the neck though. I need to get out and play a few of these and see how they feel. I could live with the tobacco burst, but the Bourbon is dead sexy.

Grab it if ya got the cash my friend.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha, I’m 24. Can confirm the above^. VERY few in my age group care about guitars and the majority that do only have an acoustic lying around to mostly impress females at parties (or males, it’s 2019) if they care enough to buy one. Collector-wise, I probably know or heard most of the guys north of the border, only met one other collector/player in his twenties who’s as obsessed as me about guitars. Vast majority are in their late 50’s+.

I don’t really care though, I’m addicted to trading as I make 25%+ per guitar I sell and I also have a ton of fun with the ones I keep. My motto is “don’t buy anything you have doubts about being stuck with forever”, follow that and you should be okay.

I don’t fool myself with the classic “this guitar is a great investment” bullsh*t. The outlook for demand in electric guitars seems pretty bleak for the next 10-20 years; as long as boomers are walking around, demand is higher than it will be unless we get some more guitar heroes in the mainstream media.

Would be curious to see how many MLPers are in their 20’s or younger around here.

On the bourbon burst, if you like it and can afford it, buy it, they’re fun :)

dro

Reaction score
Gotta play em. The best sounding Les Paul I have , is also the ugliest. Plain cherry burst. But when I heard it, it bblew me away. Don't play it out much for it's so heavy. But it has found it's way onto every track I've recorded since I bought it. Just love it. Just don't look at it.

freak

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta play em. The best sounding Les Paul I have , is also the ugliest. Plain cherry burst. But when I heard it, it bblew me away. Don't play it out much for it's so heavy. But it has found it's way onto every track I've recorded since I bought it. Just love it. Just don't look at it.
Now we NEED pics!

CSLesPaul

Reaction score
Friken "A", looks like I am part of the club now. Here is my 2012 with 57's. Picked her up a few days ago off Reverb. Looks dark and rich just like the picture. Is that an AAA flame job though?

Last edited:

CSLesPaul

Reaction score
How is the binding work on the neck? Turns out, the Standard 50’s I bought has a ridge where the binding meets the neck for most of the neck’s length on both sides. Is that one smooth as glass or do you have anything like a ridge going on?
I was back pedling after my first post on this thread and saw this. I almost thought I had a chibson till i read this as mine has a ledge on the top side. Would have REALLY pissed me off if I bought it new. Since I got it at half price, im only a little miffed. Glad, in the odd way, I wasnt the only one that got shafted, but, the guitars like that should have never left the factory for the price they charge. Even my $150 ibanez's are better built than that!

dro

Reaction score
Now we NEED pics!
Here you go. Some may like it. I would have never gave it a second look, had the salesman not put it in my hands. Was getting ready to pull the trigger on an AC30. Had been playing it for about an hour. Salesman said here try this one, Kind of plain Jane Cherryburst, some minor flame. Generic. I thought the AC30 was sounding good before. Ended up taking both home.
Cherryburst 05.JPG

I've had five '05 Les Paul Standards, all with Burstbucker Pro''s, all have a different tone, But this one just kills.
Cherrybed.JPG

I like the back the best
Cherryback.JPG

dro

Reaction score
Friken "A", looks like I am part of the club now. Here is my 2012 with 57's. Picked her up a few days ago off Reverb. Looks dark and rich just like the picture. Is that an AAA flame job though? View attachment 396884
Now this one is absotivly beautiful. What I like to see. But when your playing it you don't see it anyway... but you sure can hear it

CSLesPaul

Reaction score
Thanks Dro, yea, she is a sweetie. I have her sitting in front of me in a stand, so, i see her all night. Its hard, but, that gives me enough eye candy to burn the image in my head to be able to take my eyes off her for a hour or two when I play her., lol.

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Not yet, they pulled the one I ordered as soon as I ordered it and I haven't gotten the e-mail yet where they send the pics. I'll post some as soon as I get it.

I think it was smaller, everybody knew each other a little better, and we were able to get away with WAY more off-color behavior.

Oh man, I know, I was eyeballing the P90 something fierce, but the bourbon burst won me over. I've got a great P90 strat, and a Junior with a single P90 and I love those. But that Bourbon burst is something else. Plus, in almost 30 years of playing I've always wanted a new standard for myself, but not for $3k plus, and not with the goofiness that the old guard was pulling. Les Pauls really are the reason I began playing. I had the posters on the wall when I was 13.
Ditto on te posters Leumas.

For me it all started with that famous '75 or '77 pic of Plant and Page (white dragon suit) with pagey playing this curvy sexy guitar that to my 9 year old eyes looked like a stradivarious... and then of course, Ace's clownbursts at his knees knees... so compact and without any ridiculous sharp points... that classy slanted Gibson logo... yup. I was into les Pauls before I could even play.