Really Wanting To Pull The Trigger On A Bourbon Burst 60's

jstarr823

Reaction score
I'm always astounded at the "weight junkies" in here. So you had a fantastic guitar and sending it back because it's a bit heavy?

OH... I forgot...light guitars are full of magic and fairy dust. Got it.
Ever play a 10 pound Les Paul in the seated position? They have a tendency to be quite body heavy, so you get the reverse of neck dive. It’s actually uncomfortable and a bit awkward to play, thus taking away from the enjoyment, even if the guitar looks and sounds great. I’m not buying that it has some effect on tone, but I can vouch that it does impact playability... seemed like I was always fighting to keep the damn thing in my hands. Which had a direct impact on the left hand ergonomics. If everything else is equal, I’m taking the lighter guitar. Then again, I’m into skinny chicks too... I like things that are easy to toss around on the bed. That’s where a spend a fair amount of time “playing.” :D

And no offense, but the condescending remarks could be a bit offensive to people who simply like light guitars. Some dudes like their guitars blinged out in gold @Christosterone , some like chrome, and some like black. None of them are wrong. It’s simply a matter of personal taste.

MoJoe77

Reaction score
Ever play a 10 pound Les Paul in the seated position? They have a tendency to be quite body heavy, so you get the reverse of neck dive. It’s actually uncomfortable and a bit awkward to play, thus taking away from the enjoyment, even if the guitar looks and sounds great. I’m not buying that it has some effect on tone, but I can vouch that it does impact playability... seemed like I was always fighting to keep the damn thing in my hands. Which had a direct impact on the left hand ergonomics. If everything else is equal, I’m taking the lighter guitar. Then again, I’m into skinny chicks too... I like things that are easy to toss around on the bed. That’s where a spend a fair amount of time “playing.” :D

And no offense, but the condescending remarks could be a bit offensive to people who simply like light guitars. Some dudes like their guitars blinged out in gold @Christosterone , some like chrome, and some like black. None of them are wrong. It’s simply a matter of personal taste.
I steer clear of 10lb-ders and it has kept me from pulling the trigger on 3 of the 2019 60s bourbons I was interested in. Fully agree, not everyone likes a heavy LP and it absolutely can be what turns me away from a guitar. Having owned about 12 LPs of varying weight over the years I personally like them 9lbs or less. I have seen bourbons at 8.8lbs so I am holding out for the one of those.

dave19er

Reaction score
Yeah - I'm a weight junky, I jacked my shoulder up a few years back, and after a bunch of physical therapy, it's pretty good, but after a few hours playing, it can really start hurting. A few pounds can make a huge difference, which is a big part of the reason I bought a Sadowsky bass - they're chambered, and mine weighs a little over 7 lbs (they also feel and sound amazing). My main Jazz is pushing 10 lbs (I also have a '78 that's over 13lbs). The 50s Standard I just bought is 8.8 lbs, and I did think it sounded different than the other, heavier ones I played (most were mid to high 9s, one was mid 10). Some folks might think that has little effect on the sound, but packing more mass into the exact same amount of space is going to have some impact on how the guitar vibrates (and, thus, sounds), That's just physics. Now, whether that difference is noticeable is a whole other issue. I think I notice a difference - in my experience (and mine alone), I've found that lighter electric guitars - all other things being equal - tend to be louder acoustically, and that tends to translate into a tone that I prefer when amplified. So it's not /always/ the case, but I tend to use weight as shorthand for finding guitars that match the sound profile that I prefer. It's one of several filters i use to narrow down the search.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
If anybody remembers back in the wild west days of MLP I stated many times loudly that I would NEVER buy a new Gibson while Hank was at the helm. An easy threat to make with such a nice used market out there...but now Hank is not at the helm. And the new guy/team rolled out a line-up that I have been wishing for for years.

I love the no-nonsense, easy to understand, and logical order of the new guitars. Make the standard the standard, put the experimental stuff on a different line, and as a bonus they brought the prices back in line with the real world.

I am in love with the Bourbon burst finish, and the grovers, I'm not sure about the neck though. I need to get out and play a few of these and see how they feel. I could live with the tobacco burst, but the Bourbon is dead sexy.

Grab it if ya got the cash my friend.