Really Wanting To Pull The Trigger On A Bourbon Burst 60's

Apache Crumb

Reaction score
Yeah, who would want some of the best guitars Gibson has made since the golden era.
I guess you are a 70's Norlin man. Took a guy who ran a denim jeans company to get your attention.
Say what you will about "Hank" but he rebuilt Gibson when they were making junk. Hank's guitars speak for them selves.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Yeah, who would want some of the best guitars Gibson has made since the golden era.
I guess you are a 70's Norlin man. Took a guy who ran a denim jeans company to get your attention.
Say what you will about "Hank" but he rebuilt Gibson when they were making junk. Hank's guitars speak for them selves.
What's got sand in your trousers?

Last edited:

dave19er

Reaction score
I love my 50s one! I went to Wildwood and tried a bunch - both 60s and 50s. I preferred the thicker neck of the 50s and the cherry burst over the bourbon, but both are great models. The flame and weights vary quite a bit. Most seemed to be somewhere in the 9 lbs range, with a few 10lb ones. The one that ended up following me home is 8.8 lbs and has a subtle, bookmatched flame with mineral streaks (which is my preference; there were a few that had insane flames, and some that had almost none). And I love that it's not the washed cherry red, but the dark, blueish red.

It's an amazing guitar. Gibson really knocked these out of the park.

MoJoe77

Reaction score
I have extreme Gas for a bourbon 60s. From what I've seen in some owner pics the finish seems to be almost tobacco. Can any bourbon owners chime in on how it looks in-person, I've always wanted a bourbon but could never afford custom/historic prices! Thanks

PauloQS

Reaction score
I have extreme Gas for a bourbon 60s. From what I've seen in some owner pics the finish seems to be almost tobacco. Can any bourbon owners chime in on how it looks in-person, I've always wanted a bourbon but could never afford custom/historic prices! Thanks
I don't own a Standard 60's in Bourbon Burst, but to me they look closer to the Gibson Custom Bourbon Burst than my 2017 Standard T Bourbon Burst. I say got for it. It is the best looking Gibson USA guitar at the moment, but that's just my personal preference.

Benniator

Reaction score
Depends on the light, but it looks like a Tobacco Burst with more red in the burst transition. Under direct sunlight the edge of my burst looks like a very dark, deep burgundy.

danzego

Reaction score
I saw one in person at a GC right after they came out and thought it was a Tobacco. I have a 2019 Traditional in Tobaccoburst if that says anything.

The Bourbonbursts are beautiful. If I hadn’t been so dead set on getting a 50’s in Heritage Cherry, that’s what I would have gotten.

CoachD

Reaction score
I saw a 50's TBS and a 60's Bourbon at GC a few weeks ago.

The 50's was definitely darker on the outside (blackish?), but the Bourbon could have been mistaken for a Tobacco if it were not sitting next to a Tobacco IMO. I thought the Bourbon looked great in person. The back/sides had more of a red tint which to me looked more like an RX style guitar.

I went in thinking I preferred Tobacco. I came out thinking Bourbon may be my "next" LP color (on my fantasy wish list).

Playing wise: Both were fine. The 50's model felt much lighter (like sub 9 pounds). I did prefer the 50's neck, but aesthetically the 60's (reflector knobs) is still stuck in my head. Both sold very quickly BTW.

Looking at Bourbon's on Sweetwater it does seem like there is a lot of variation in the color of each guitar. Some definitely tend more towards Tobacco IMO.

MoJoe77

Reaction score
thanks guys for all your info! I think it's one of those things I need to see in-person before pulling the trigger, the iced tea 60s also looks gorgeous as well!

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Musicians forums (presumably other hobbyist fora as well?) are no longer sources of relatively unbiased information.

Two things:
1. Forums have ceased to be places where you could exchange information freely and have basically (and often blatantly) turned into advertising spots on the net. "Commercial nessessity" blah blah blah....

2. On any given forum, "good ole' boy" networks (read, "most popular forumites", regardless of experience or knowledge) have established themselves as a sort of "forum ruling class" (being friends with mods etc. or even becoming mods themselves, over the years) and any opinion that is contrary to theirs will be ruthlessly eradicated through mob/mod action.
This development has resulted in forums where there is no room for alternate viewpoints, alienating possible contributors from engaging in discussion, because "discussion" on fora like these is restricted to being only reinforcement of any given forums established "truths".
I call them "forum residents" because they're not just visiting, they see the forum as their own turf and feel the need to police anything they don't agree with. Because they form a group of like minds they tend to use gang tackling tactics on anyone stepping out of line in Stepford.

The biggest problem I see is that it has killed or is killing the active membership and post numbers in every forum. The reason is that after enough time in Stepford, the residents no longer even realize they're in Stepford. Nor do they understand why nobody else wants to reside in their perfect little community.

It is what it is. I've come to realize that I'm entering a melee with every social media interaction. I get my fill and then gtfo before the toxicity (my own or others) pollutes my inner air.

I freekin love people, but that's matched by an equal hate for society because of what it does to us :)

*I should and want to add that I'm talking about ALL forums and if we're grading on a curve this one is a lot more relaxed than most. I think everyone here can name at least two or three other guitar forums that are far more toxic. I'm really itching to list a few examples, but rules and tact are holding my tongue :)

Last edited:

Chemo

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the fact that they're not weight-relieved anymore means that they're heavy as hell? How much do they weigh approximately?

PauloQS

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the fact that they're not weight-relieved anymore means that they're heavy as hell? How much do they weigh approximately?
It varies a lot. I just pulled the trigger an a Bourbon Burst Standard 60s that is 7 lbs 14 oz. However, most I've seen are around 9.5 lbs. You do occasionally see a sub 9 lbs, around 8 lbs 12oz, which is the ballpark on a lot of RIs, and some that are more than 10 lbs.

Edit: I do find that a lot of the Classics, which have 9-hole weight relief, heavier than the Standards. I suspect they are using the lighter body blanks on the Standards.

Chemo

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Now to find a way to recalculate the kilograms out of this nonsense :p

PauloQS

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Now to find a way to recalculate the kilograms out of this nonsense :p
I got you :)

It varies a lot. I just pulled the trigger an a Bourbon Burst Standard 60s that is 3.6 kg. However, most I've seen are around 4.3 kg. You do occasionally see a sub 4 kg, around 3.97 kg, which is the ballpark on a lot of RIs, and some that are more than 4.5 kg.

Edit: I do find that a lot of the Classics, which have 9-hole weight relief, heavier than the Standards. I suspect they are using the lighter body blanks on the Standards.

Last edited:

Benniator

Reaction score
It varies a lot. I just pulled the trigger an a Bourbon Burst Standard 60s that is 7 lbs 14 oz.
That's ridiculously light. I've seen a handful online around 8.5 lbs, but I've never seen one listed less than 8. Good find! Out of curiosity, what does the top look like? Heavily flamed or closer to a plaintop? There's been some talk about the more figured tops being paired with the heavier mahogany blanks.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Thanks man, I appreciate you taking the time!
No problem at all. As an immigrant in the US, I found extremely useful to always have an unit conversion app on my phone. With weights and distances, I think I got the hang of it due to guitar shopping and running. Temperatures on the other hand is an absolute mess. Despite wife's attempts to help Fahrenheit mean something to me, I have very stubbornly stuck with Celsius.

Latest Threads