Really Wanting To Pull The Trigger On A Bourbon Burst 60's

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger. I played a 60s at gc and loved it at GC. It was not the bourbon, but I got on well with the neck so I ordered from sweetwater. Incoming NGD!!!
This seems a shame. Whilst it’s undoubtedly awesome that you’re getting a nice new LP (seen the pics linked later - gorgeous!) it’s folks trying in store but then buying online that is killing the high-street stores - and not just for guitars, either!

Pretty soon they’ll be nowhere to actually try out this stuff and then everyone will be moaning that they have to buy expensive guitars without trying them first ...

Not meant to be a dig at you personally so hope it doesn’t come across that way - more a comment on consumer trends in general.

AJK1

Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger. I played a 60s at gc and loved it at GC. It was not the bourbon, but I got on well with the neck so I ordered from sweetwater. Incoming NGD!!!
So you tried it at GC but ordered one from Sweetwater
Nice one

AJK1

Reaction score
This seems a shame. Whilst it’s undoubtedly awesome that you’re getting a nice new LP (seen the pics linked later - gorgeous!) it’s folks trying in store but then buying online that is killing the high-street stores - and not just for guitars, either!

Pretty soon they’ll be nowhere to actually try out this stuff and then everyone will be moaning that they have to buy expensive guitars without trying them first ...

Not meant to be a dig at you personally so hope it doesn’t come across that way - more a comment on consumer trends in general.
I work in a music store and we have online as well to stop this crap happening

Leumas

Reaction score
I will never feel bad for guitar center, I bought other stuff from them anyway. I would rather have bought the guitar from Dave Phillips by my house, but they can’t afford to stock new Gibsons under the current distribution terms.

edselman

Reaction score
I have purchased from my local Guitar Center in the past. But I had to keep driving across town over and again to look at the floor models the kept trying to pass off on me as new and with a full retail price.

edselman

Reaction score
Another thing about purchasing locally, my city of around 400,000 has one small Guitar Center and two locally owned stores that are devoted to guitars and gear. One of the locally owned stores only sells used intruments and gear. The other only sells bottom end imports or used intruments. That store never has any high quality guitars, just hundreds of Squires and such. Both local stores have only very dim lighting and no heat or air conditioning. There have been two or three additional local stores in town since I was a kid in the 1960's, but they had almost no stock on hand. Most sold band instruments and carried only a couple of guitars.

On one of my visits to Guitar Center a few years ago there was a new 1961 SG Standard reissue hanging up. It was clearly a floor model as it had several dents and a long, deep scratch on the back. I was very interested and had cash to spend. They would not lower the price and insisted on full retail. Needless to say, I walked out.

Needless to say, I buy online.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I will never feel bad for guitar center, I bought other stuff from them anyway. I would rather have bought the guitar from Dave Phillips by my house, but they can’t afford to stock new Gibsons under the current distribution terms.
You are free to try and buy where you want, no need to justify. It’s called market.
Enjoy the beauty!

Deek

Reaction score
I don't mind that top, but I wouldn't buy one without having it in my hands first. It's funny, I was looking now that sweetwater has actual photos up I was noticing that some of them have really terrible (IMO) tops, like half flame, half plain type stuff.

look at this beauty!

I don't understand this top. I would think they would book match pieces for tops or at least try to match pieces for aesthetics. I have a wood shop and one thing the teachers always say is the real pros think about and come up with good grain matching. Unless this one is deliberately trying to make some kind of anti establishment design statement, it is really quite awful.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I tend towards buying where I try it because it’s how I’m wired...

I don’t begrudge anyone doing it their own way because this is a free country...

Plus I generally feel like I owe the store for making everyone listen to my “playing” :naughty:

-Chris

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Brick and mortar stores of all kinds have gone to only carrying the stock that moves the fastest. It's downright annoying because the stuff that moves the fastest is generally over marketed junk that is also the easiest to produce with the highest profit margin.

I live in a major metropolitan area with a thriving music scene and our local choice of available instruments is just dismal by comparison. Twenty years ago you could get just about anything, but those stores have all died off with no new blood to replace them.

Personally I don't even bother with them anymore simply because they NEVER have what I'm looking for. I window shop online and when I see something that speaks to me I buy it from whoever is selling it.

I have zero loyalty toward any entity that has no loyalty to me in return. Selling only the fastest moving cookie cutter crap proves your only loyalty is to the almighty profit margin. Fuck you very much and I hope it comes back to bite you in the ass :)

Guitpicky

Reaction score
I don't understand this top. I would think they would book match pieces for tops or at least try to match pieces for aesthetics. I have a wood shop and one thing the teachers always say is the real pros think about and come up with good grain matching. Unless this one is deliberately trying to make some kind of anti establishment design statement, it is really quite awful.
I'm generally a Gibson fan and supporter but their bookmatching is really hit or miss. I've watched factory videos where the guy cutting and stacking the two halves randomly flips one side the wrong way when stacking them. I've seen examples so mismatched they don't even look like they came from the same tree.

Easy enough to remedy tho, just pick the one you like. If you settle for less that's on you.

That top will sell when it's the only one presented to a customer so excited to be buying a Gibson LP they overlook the details. If they don't do any research first and only see the one example, they have no way of knowing it's not a very good example.

Failing that, everything sells at clearance prices :)

KS 5150

Reaction score
Brick and mortar stores of all kinds have gone to only carrying the stock that moves the fastest. It's downright annoying because the stuff that moves the fastest is generally over marketed junk that is also the easiest to produce with the highest profit margin.

I live in a major metropolitan area with a thriving music scene and our local choice of available instruments is just dismal by comparison. Twenty years ago you could get just about anything, but those stores have all died off with no new blood to replace them.

Personally I don't even bother with them anymore simply because they NEVER have what I'm looking for. I window shop online and when I see something that speaks to me I buy it from whoever is selling it.

I have zero loyalty toward any entity that has no loyalty to me in return. Selling only the fastest moving cookie cutter crap proves your only loyalty is to the almighty profit margin. Fuck you very much and I hope it comes back to bite you in the ass :)
Take your meds today, bro?!?

Deek

Reaction score
I'm generally a Gibson fan and supporter but their bookmatching is really hit or miss. I've watched factory videos where the guy cutting and stacking the two halves randomly flips one side the wrong way when stacking them. I've seen examples so mismatched they don't even look like they came from the same tree.

Easy enough to remedy tho, just pick the one you like. If you settle for less that's on you.

That top will sell when it's the only one presented to a customer so excited to be buying a Gibson LP they overlook the details. If they don't do any research first and only see the one example, they have no way of knowing it's not a very good example.

Failing that, everything sells at clearance prices :)
Well, I like mine, but this isn't so complicated and you would think the person making these decisions would be someone with an "eye." In addition, if you resaw the same piece of wood, book matching just happens and is somewhat idiot proof... Oh well.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I picked up my Custom from GC, it was pretty much perfect right out of the box.

grumphh

Reaction score
most guitar forums and subreddits I've visited lately are barely breathing. What happened?
Musicians forums (presumably other hobbyist fora as well?) are no longer sources of relatively unbiased information.

Two things:
1. Forums have ceased to be places where you could exchange information freely and have basically (and often blatantly) turned into advertising spots on the net. "Commercial nessessity" blah blah blah....

2. On any given forum, "good ole' boy" networks (read, "most popular forumites", regardless of experience or knowledge) have established themselves as a sort of "forum ruling class" (being friends with mods etc. or even becoming mods themselves, over the years) and any opinion that is contrary to theirs will be ruthlessly eradicated through mob/mod action.
This development has resulted in forums where there is no room for alternate viewpoints, alienating possible contributors from engaging in discussion, because "discussion" on fora like these is restricted to being only reinforcement of any given forums established "truths".

JarrodH

Reaction score
If anybody remembers back in the wild west days of MLP I stated many times loudly that I would NEVER buy a new Gibson while Hank was at the helm. An easy threat to make with such a nice used market out there...but now Hank is not at the helm. And the new guy/team rolled out a line-up that I have been wishing for for years.

I love the no-nonsense, easy to understand, and logical order of the new guitars. Make the standard the standard, put the experimental stuff on a different line, and as a bonus they brought the prices back in line with the real world.

I am in love with the Bourbon burst finish, and the grovers, I'm not sure about the neck though. I need to get out and play a few of these and see how they feel. I could live with the tobacco burst, but the Bourbon is dead sexy.

Just do it!!!! Buy one!!! I think I am right now!!! A new 50's goldtop!!

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Just do it!!!! Buy one!!! I think I am right now!!! A new 50's goldtop!!
Sam Ash Dallas has a great 60s in Iced Tea. I played it and approve. One of ya'll should buy it.