Really Wanting To Pull The Trigger On A Bourbon Burst 60's

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Speaking of that, I was here about a decade ago and this place was busy at all hours and a bit crazy. MLP is much more sedate now. It's not just this forum; most guitar forums and subreddits I've visited lately are barely breathing. What happened?
Facebook

mdubya

Reaction score
Congrats, Sam!

I can see at least a P-90 Standard or TV Yellow Special in the near future for me.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Yeah it's nuts, MLP is nearly the only Gibson based forum that has enough traffic to even checkout on the regular anymore.

The other place went to practically no traffic in the last year or so. Too many crotchety long timers running off the few new people that care about guitars enough to buy, play and post about it. The Seymour Duncan UGF is still pretty good but that place used to be incredible. Guitar players are dropping like fly's and not re-populating, and the number of guys quietly getting out of very exclusive highly desirable Bursts is picking up pace dramatically. The top of the market for LP's of any vintage has probably peaked.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Speaking of that, I was here about a decade ago and this place was busy at all hours and a bit crazy. MLP is much more sedate now. It's not just this forum; most guitar forums and subreddits I've visited lately are barely breathing. What happened?

Ban Hammer........... :p

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
People just get tired to say (and read) the same things over and over again, and just move on. :)

Leumas

Reaction score
Congrats! Have a Sweetwater pic?
Not yet, they pulled the one I ordered as soon as I ordered it and I haven't gotten the e-mail yet where they send the pics. I'll post some as soon as I get it.

I think it was smaller, everybody knew each other a little better, and we were able to get away with WAY more off-color behavior.

Congrats, Sam!

I can see at least a P-90 Standard or TV Yellow Special in the near future for me.
Oh man, I know, I was eyeballing the P90 something fierce, but the bourbon burst won me over. I've got a great P90 strat, and a Junior with a single P90 and I love those. But that Bourbon burst is something else. Plus, in almost 30 years of playing I've always wanted a new standard for myself, but not for $3k plus, and not with the goofiness that the old guard was pulling. Les Pauls really are the reason I began playing. I had the posters on the wall when I was 13.

Leumas

Reaction score
The new 50" 60's models look great!
They do! I love everything about this year's line up. They actually fixed the standard and brought the price down. I like some of the experimentation, but don't do it to the standard. I hope the current management remains this in touch.

moreles

Reaction score
I don't mind mismatched tops, probably because I'm sick and tired of petty burst obsessiveness. Gibson's most recent SG ad shows a 2-piece SG with ridiculously mismatched mahogany. It's a strange move for a company trying to re-establish its quality credentials since the public much prefers matched woods.

Leumas

Reaction score
I don't mind mismatched tops, probably because I'm sick and tired of petty burst obsessiveness. Gibson's most recent SG ad shows a 2-piece SG with ridiculously mismatched mahogany. It's a strange move for a company trying to re-establish its quality credentials since the public much prefers matched woods.
I don't mind so much either, it does look a little weird though. My tele has a big discoloration right on the middle of the fingerboard at the 12th fret. It's very weird and mine is the only one I've seen with that blemish.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
guitar players are getting older,having health issues,retiring.not as much money to spend on hobbies.i was watching mecum car auctions and was shocked that prices on some of the classics are almost reasonable now.

redking

Reaction score
If anybody remembers back in the wild west days of MLP I stated many times loudly that I would NEVER buy a new Gibson while Hank was at the helm. An easy threat to make with such a nice used market out there...but now Hank is not at the helm. And the new guy/team rolled out a line-up that I have been wishing for for years.

I love the no-nonsense, easy to understand, and logical order of the new guitars. Make the standard the standard, put the experimental stuff on a different line, and as a bonus they brought the prices back in line with the real world.

I am in love with the Bourbon burst finish, and the grovers, I'm not sure about the neck though. I need to get out and play a few of these and see how they feel. I could live with the tobacco burst, but the Bourbon is dead sexy.

I feel like one of these is in my future too!

Guitpicky

Reaction score
$#%@ Facebook!
I pretty much agree, mostly a human herding experiment and I don't appreciate being herded like livestock.

I was on a Takamine forum that was great and even the original members eventually went over to fakebook. In under a years time it was dead as a door nail.

They've tried to get me into the Takamine group on fakebook a number of times but I just can't bring myself to join the herd :)

americanstandardtele

Reaction score
That bourbonburst looks fantastic. I am super tempted to try out a 60's - I understand (by way of rhett schull) that the 50's neck really feels pretty 60's, so I am really curious to check out the actual 60's neck.

americanstandardtele

Reaction score
Yeah it's nuts, MLP is nearly the only Gibson based forum that has enough traffic to even checkout on the regular anymore.

The other place went to practically no traffic in the last year or so. Too many crotchety long timers running off the few new people that care about guitars enough to buy, play and post about it. The Seymour Duncan UGF is still pretty good but that place used to be incredible. Guitar players are dropping like fly's and not re-populating, and the number of guys quietly getting out of very exclusive highly desirable Bursts is picking up pace dramatically. The top of the market for LP's of any vintage has probably peaked.
Right on brother. Those guys are killing guitar forums, such crabass, no comprimise, argue with everyone sonsofbitches. The kids are saying F it, and heading off to reddit r/gibson or r/lespaul, and are leaving these trad forums for the soon-to-be-dead-timers.