Really " Special " Gibson Les Paul

Slash&LesPaul Fan

Reaction score
Yesterday I was playing with a friend who is a guitarist for 20 years and he showed me he had bought a guitar.

It was a Gibson Les Paul Special (black color), had never seen any, but I loved the guitar sound and looked very good.

Can someone explain to me the features of the Gibson Les Paul Special and by the color (black) may identify the model?

I can take some pictures next tyme :slash:

sj250

Reaction score
There really isn't much to say. They were designed as an economy version of the Standard but have kind of developed there own fan base. They come with P-90's instead of humbuckers which some people prefer. They are fairly inexpensive and still a great guitar.

Probably looked like this???

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
If it isnt that one, it's probably this one, awesome guitars, I had one but sold it a year or 2 ago cause it wasnt a standard, big mistake.

Birdseyeview

Reaction score
There really isn't much to say. They were designed as an economy version of the Standard but have kind of developed there own fan base. They come with P-90's instead of humbuckers which some people prefer. They are fairly inexpensive and still a great guitar.

Probably looked like this???

DITO!
I think the LP also had a heritage cherry satin version.
The SG "special" version had uncovered Humbuckers and a satin finish in Walnut and I think satin heritage cherry.
LP were like a genetic crossing of a melodymaker and a Junior
SG were like acrossing of a Standard SG and a Melodymaker (dot inlays, no binding on neck).
At one point in time, you could pick these up for like 6-700 bucks off the rack.
Oh, oh, oh. I also remember a guy from a garage band playing at a bar one night with a Flying V in this same vein; he had the inlaid crescent moons on the neck. The crescent moon might have been some part/portion of the 'special' line? I don't remember how or what made these Gibson's 'Special', maybe 'Value' would have been a more appropriate fit.
I wouldn't mind having one of the SG's and mod out a bit to really holler; then feel good about doing neck-slides, stage dives, and whirling it around my neck like Townshend! In my dreams of course.:naughty:

cap217

Reaction score
What is the story on this one with the humbuckers? How much did they go for?

jonpowl

Reaction score
I have one, 2001 Les Paul Special SL with humbuckers. Got it used in good condition for under $400. I love it! Thinking about getting another one with P90s.

Attachments

rjshare

Reaction score
they must be fun guitars to play, and great for leaping about on stage playing punky stuff. i just hate the pickguards on them!

LPCustom72

Reaction score
If I am correct in my dates, about 1998 Gibson started offering Custom Shop versions of the LP Special. At that point the regular LP Specials had fewer frills - no more binding on the neck and an air-brushed Gibson logo instead of an inlaid logo. The "new" LP specials came in different colors - natural, black and green were some choices.

I have both types - a 1996 LP Special with all the binding an inlays and an 2001 without. The 1996 Special is the traditional cherry finish and the 2001 has what was called a "cinnamon" red paint job. Frankly, they are both really nice guitars. They are both single piece mahogany bodies. The build quality is very good. And both resonant really nicely.

As time went on Gibson came out with the faded models (then stopped). Those could be single piece bodies or 2/3 pieces. They are also built with the cosmetics of a Junior - no binding and air brushed logo.

While we can debate endlessly old growth mahogany vs. new growth and single piece bodies vs multiple piece bodies, having played a lot of different Specials and Juniors made from 1988 to the present, a piece of mahogany with P-90s is hard to beat as a basic rock and roll guitar.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
If I am correct in my dates, about 1998 Gibson started offering Custom Shop versions of the LP Special. At that point the regular LP Specials had fewer frills - no more binding on the neck and an air-brushed Gibson logo instead of an inlaid logo. The "new" LP specials came in different colors - natural, black and green were some choices.

I have both types - a 1996 LP Special with all the binding an inlays and an 2001 without. The 1996 Special is the traditional cherry finish and the 2001 has what was called a "cinnamon" red paint job. Frankly, they are both really nice guitars. They are both single piece mahogany bodies. The build quality is very good. And both resonant really nicely.

As time went on Gibson came out with the faded models (then stopped). Those could be single piece bodies or 2/3 pieces. They are also built with the cosmetics of a Junior - no binding and air brushed logo.

While we can debate endlessly old growth mahogany vs. new growth and single piece bodies vs multiple piece bodies, having played a lot of different Specials and Juniors made from 1988 to the present, a piece of mahogany with P-90s is hard to beat as a basic rock and roll guitar.
I have a 1998 Cinnamon LP Special SL with 490/498 pickups. Great guitar! I did not know these came out of the Custom shop. Are you sure about that? I also know this thread is ancient but, I was looking stuff up about my 98 Special and, I ran into this.

LowThudd

Reaction score
Oh, oh, oh. I also remember a guy from a garage band playing at a bar one night with a Flying V in this same vein; he had the inlaid crescent moons on the neck. The crescent moon might have been some part/portion of the 'special' line?
This one? If so that is a pre 9/11 Goth V. The Crescent was removed post 9/11.

NHTom

Reaction score
Here's my 2001 Special.
Gloss mahogany

Love the gloss, i'ts got P100's in it which I was going to swap out right a way, but I actually like them for a different tone.

NHTom

jay1williams

Reaction score
These are a bargain used or on closeout - the tv yellow is my favorite, had and SG but sold it like an idiot - miss that one :(

You could get one of each style (P90's + Humbuckers) for the price of a Standard :thumb:

stringbender11

Reaction score
Specials are cool because they're essentially like having a lighter LP with a slab body, and simpler, less blingy construction. They still sound great though.