Really like my 498T more than I thought

theycallmegio

Reaction score
I used to think it was a good pickup, not great. It's what it my LPC (stock).

The guitar itself is a bit dark, but not in a badway. My LP standard has a duncan distortion, and while I like it I keep feeling like something is missing when I compare it to the 498T. The 498 is a HELL of a lot more complex sounding. When I strum a chord with overdrive I can hear so much more going on with this pickup, and more note separation.

I'm a little hesitant to throw this pup in my standard, I think I'd like to try other makes before I go back to gibson stuff, but I can't get over how much richer and better sounding the 498T than my DD.

anyone else really dig this pup, or do I just not know any better (entirely possible lol)

michaelinokc

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with it in my Custom, too. I find it very expressive, especially with a good amp.

robertoa1a

Reaction score
I Use 5 guitars and one of them has a 498t. The pup nails a certain sound between metal and vintage.

You can do Tony Iomi and Zep in the same sitting. ...And perhaps some early Metallica.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I like mine too. It's a little bright in my chambered Studio Tribute but nothing the knobs on the amp or axe can't handle.

6stringmofo

Reaction score
Pairing the 498 with the 300k (stock usually) volume pots give it that dark sound.

Personally, I like it, but, if you want to brighten up a 498t, change your volume pots to 500K.

EDIT: Assuming your playing Les Paul type guitar.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
Yeah tr 498 is in my LP custom. I'm afraid to upgrade pots bc I play through a Marshall sl5, which is a very bright amp.

I DO want to get the most out of my guitar though

entresz

Reaction score
My 2011 L6-S Reissue came with a 498T in the bridge position. I quite liked it. Even coil split it sounded quite good.

I've replaced both pickups with Lawrence L-90s, as they suit what I play much better. That being said, the 498T is a nice sounding pickup.

afranke

Reaction score
I have the original 498t in my 97 standard and its awesome!! I switched it for a wcr godwood awhile back then put the 498t back in.for classic rock its hard to beat the 498t..
[[im running mine through a 500k pot,,killer!]]

HogmanA

Reaction score
I changed my original 490/ 498t for more flexibility when using just one pickup.

I felt they were difficult to manage because of how different , or unbalanced they appeared to be, though magnet swaps helped this somewhat.

But, I think they really shine when both pickups are on - the imbalance between the dark 490 and the bright 498t produces a middle setting sound that is 'Glassy, Chimey and Woody all in one, and any blend combination of them.

For 490/ 498t, both pups on is where it's at, IMHO

*edit- and melting some of the wax and letting it run out of the pickup really brought liveliness/ complexity to the pickups, and didn't create any squealing afterwards either. This was due to covers removed (and replaced) to try magnet out of phase.

p90fool

Reaction score
I put 498Ts in guitars all the time. If you partially split them via a 100K resistor they stay fat too.

The main reason I like them is because they have enough power that I can roll down my tone pot and it retains enough volume to stay balanced with a PAF-style neck pickup.

I've been through plenty of boutique stuff over the years and some are great and still get used in the studio, but I have 498Ts in all my stage guitars.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
The main reason I like them is because they have enough power that I can roll down my tone pot and it retains enough volume to stay balanced with a PAF-style neck pickup.

I use it in a lot of ways, rolling the tone down to 3-4 gives an awesome 'woman tone' kind of sound.

2009LPGT

Reaction score
The 498/490 combo with good pots and caps is about the best combo out there to cover all LP bases on a single guitar. Really like them, so no surprise others dig them too!

Classicplayer

Reaction score
The 498/490 combo with good pots and caps is about the best combo out there to cover all LP bases on a single guitar. Really like them, so no surprise others dig them too!

Are those two pickups better with 300k or 500k pots? Or, does the pot value you choose depend on whether you have a bright or not so bright guitar?

Classicplayer

6stringmofo

Reaction score
500K does brighten the sound but I'm putting the 300K back in. I like the darkness they add to the tone.

p90fool

Reaction score
It's worth playing about with pot values. My "grab and go" Les Paul has a 498T and a 57 Classic.
The bridge pickup has a 300k pot, is wired 50s style and can be split via a 100k resistor which brings in a treble pass cap at the same time. The neck pickup has a 500k pot and is wired modern-style, with a treble pass cap I can switch in and out.

With a bit of volume juggling and by using a couple of push/pulls I can pretty well turn a very fat Les Paul into a pretty convincing Tele (and I'm a Tele nut), all on the same amp settings.

It took a lot of fine-tuning to get it right, but it's tonally well-balanced and genuinely versatile, rather than having lots of interesting but ultimately redundant sounds. If I'm not sure what the gig is or what gear I'm expected to use, that's the guitar I throw in the car.

jwag1973

Reaction score
My # 1 has the 490R/498T combo and sounds amazing. I've gigged that guitar hundreds of times, for a good reason. The sound! If you know how to EQ your amp, and work the volume/tone pots....they are easily as versatile as anything out there. To be honest, imo...Gibson pickups are very underrated. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

David Garner

Reaction score
I ended up with the 57/57+ set, but I really liked the 498t with the UOA5 magnet and the 490r with the A3 magnet. In fact, I liked them enough that I wasn't going to bother changing them until a buddy gave me his 57/57+ set and I tried them out. Unfortunately for the 490/498 set, the 57/57+ setup is perfect for me, or I'd still have them in there.

EVH9442

Reaction score
Heck yeah! Got a 490/498 set in my 2008 Studio, at first I thought they were going to be too hot for me and was considering a '57 classic in the bridge. But after taking her home and really getting to know her, I'm never pulling that bad boy out of there. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but don't stock Les Paul Custom also come with the whole 498 deal?

Latest Threads