Really? Is that the only difference between 2016 R9 and R8?

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
2016 standard historics are killer. I have an aged one that I love. But the 14's are the real value..you don't have the R in the serial...lol. Just ****ing around.

But in all seriousness, my 14 hand picked R8's from Dave's are R9's in both top and neck carve. The neck carves on them are slimmer and have less shoulder than any 13-16 R9 that I have played.

christopherJ

Reaction score
let's see how many posts this one goes before there is a divisive line drawn and TH buyers are labeled kool aid drinkers are called out for that....

The guitar YOU want to play is the guitar for you, and if it cost 1 dollar or 10K, it shouldn't matter to anyone but the buyer/player.

It matters because Gibson is charging way too much now for way too many guitars. $12K for a new production factory mass produced Les Paul with "1959 specs"? Come now.

The OP is right, hard to justify price differences based on specs between an R8 and R9. Paying more for marketing hype just doesn't sit well with some people. Go figure.

Pretty soon only rich folk will be able to buy any Gibson. Of course rich folk love it when the rubes can no longer afford something and they still can.

DADGAD

Reaction score
So Gibson does a run of Felder R9's. Whatever isn't sold gets stingered and rebranded a R8 at a lower price. I think if you find a nice R8, you would be very happy and not missing out on a lot unless primo flame tops are a priority for you. There are some
flame top R8's that are fantastic. I would get one of those, get the shoulders taken down and boom, a poor mans R9 with cash to spare.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
thank gibson for creating this 'spec war' as well as posting ridiculous MAP pricing. But as Gagarin says, if anyone is paying 12K for any guitar then that's the buyers fault for getting cornered into full MAP. Exercise your other options at that pricing point if you think it's too much for what you're getting. Be an educated buyer, and never be afraid to walk from the sale. Then your other option is the used market.

FKO

Reaction score
thank gibson for creating this 'spec war' as well as posting ridiculous MAP pricing. But as Gagarin says, if anyone is paying 12K for any guitar then that's the buyers fault for getting cornered into full MAP. Exercise your other options at that pricing point if you think it's too much for what you're getting. Be an educated buyer, and never be afraid to walk from the sale. Then your other option is the used market.

Whenever somebody starts b1tching about MAP pricing vs quality; it is obvious that person do not own or knows jack about the guitar.

Misinformed buyers will think it's normal to pay MAP when they read such posts if they don't dig deep enough.

rock4ever

Reaction score
60% of MAP is crazy imo...MAP simply is that high right now.

It would be crazy for dealers to sell them at 60% of MAP too...but that doesn't affirm value.

Latest Threads