Really having trouble thinking of a PAF set to get for a les Paul.

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
He doesnt want any help.. He does what he does on his own terms, and has been highly successful. Hes been winding 59 PAF clones since 1971. Tom was the 1st to start doing this.

Billy Giibbons, Gary Moore, and Peter Frampton Albert King, Bo Diddly also helped Tom with the design, balance of the pickups, and in 1991, talked Tom into switching from A4 magnets to A2. Tom will still make an 4 set if asked. They are designated H453.

Mainly it was Moore, Frampton and Gibbons who had the most input, and all were personal friends of Toms.

Tom was also George Gruhns Repairman for 20 years.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
He doesnt want any help.. He does what he does on his own terms, and has been highly successful. Hes been winding 59 PAF clones since 1971. Tom was the 1st to start doing this.

Billy Giibbons, Gary Moore, and Peter Frampton Albert King, Bo Diddly also helped Tom with the design, balance of the pickups, and in 1991, talked Tom into switching from A4 magnets to A2. Tom will still make an 4 set if asked. They are designated H453.

Mainly it was Moore, Frampton and Gibbons who had the most input, and all were personal friends of Toms.

Tom was also George Gruhns Repairman for 20 years.

I understand, just be more efficent if he hired help lol. But i guess 3 things, one he's worried about the quality Not being watered down, 2 he probably want all the money himself or can't afford to hire nobody but him lol and 3 most importantly if the customers are ok with waiting half a year for pickups that only take a hour or so to do, hey you like it i love it lol. No arguments from me

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Paul McCartney tried to play all the instruments and do the studio recording and production by himself for a couple albums.

Personally, I prefer the material where he had a little help from his friends.

ARandall

Reaction score
I understand, just be more efficent if he hired help lol. But i guess 3 things, one he's worried about the quality Not being watered down, 2 he probably want all the money himself or can't afford to hire nobody but him lol and 3 most importantly if the customers are ok with waiting half a year for pickups that only take a hour or so to do, hey you like it i love it lol. No arguments from me
Some people just would rather work either by themselves or for themselves. Its a personality thing.....you're much more comfortable setting your own standards for the finished product rather than constantly having to doublecheck someone else is getting your precise wants right.
And as it usually takes way longer to work this way, the avaricious in nature generally avoid this method.

I think he's retiring/retired anyhow. I read a thread a short while back to that effect IIRC.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Some people just would rather work either by themselves or for themselves. Its a personality thing.....you're much more comfortable setting your own standards for the finished product rather than constantly having to doublecheck someone else is getting your precise wants right.
And as it usually takes way longer to work this way, the avaricious in nature generally avoid this method.

I think he's retiring/retired anyhow. I read a thread a short while back to that effect IIRC.

Yeah i think he's retired. So now his pickups will be on par for 2000 dollars like it's a real PAF lol. I see virgil arlo is selling his or their pickups for that much now.

Pageburst

Reaction score
Since you mentioned you already have OX4s, I would highly recommend Rewind Electric PAFs. flutey vocally neck and a singing honk from the bridge. Very ABB imho. I have several and i think the True Kalamazoo are my favorite overall.

Im usually very decisive when i buy gear. I knew i wanted kloppman pickups i bought a set of kloppman hb59. I knew i had to have monty Pafs i ordered a set of them. But i got a third les Paul that needs a set and for the life of me can't decide what to get. Originally i wanted a set of doyle tru coils but considering how tele on steroids they sound that would be too similar to the description of the montys. I don't want my guitars to sound anything alike.

Im looking for something very articulate woody and very flutey in the neck with good amount of honky mids in the middle position and bridge. I was looking at rewind PAF-1 and possibly flametone 59 pickups. Any suggestions except for seymour Duncans and dimarzios is welcomed haha. Help me out fellow tone chasers.

Last edited:

Latest Threads