Really having trouble thinking of a PAF set to get for a les Paul.

David Garner

Reaction score
Thanks for this info. If you got unpo ones, is there any noise from them?

Classicplayer
No more than any other humbucker unless you have too hot an input signal. That’s why they don’t work well for high gain. You can max out a Marshall and they hold up fine. It’s when you goose that hot Marshall with a hot pedal or two that they feed back.

Not the same pickups, but I don’t have any video of the Pearlies. This is a Wolfetone Dr. Vintage set (unpotted) into a Marshall 18 Watt on 7 or so, lightly boosted with a Fulldrive. It was at the Hard Rock Cafe in Atlanta, and the stage volume was loud. No squeal at all. In a bedroom with stacked pedals at any “louder than quiet” volume, though, they will squeal.

AJK1

Reaction score
No more than any other humbucker unless you have too hot an input signal. That’s why they don’t work well for high gain. You can max out a Marshall and they hold up fine. It’s when you goose that hot Marshall with a hot pedal or two that they feed back.

Not the same pickups, but I don’t have any video of the Pearlies. This is a Wolfetone Dr. Vintage set (unpotted) into a Marshall 18 Watt on 7 or so, lightly boosted with a Fulldrive. It was at the Hard Rock Cafe in Atlanta, and the stage volume was loud. No squeal at all. In a bedroom with stacked pedals at any “louder than quiet” volume, though, they will squeal.

Nice tone

AJK1

Reaction score
I already said it in the initial post lol. A les Paul the last one. I think i got a very diverse array of pickups in my les pauls

3 humbucker black beauty wizz and ox4 hot Duane
Tokai gold top electric city ep50s
4 epi lp standards
- throbak sle 101
- kloppman hb59
-monty PAF

I need something for the 4th lp
You mean an Epiphone LP

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I'm not one of those My Epiphone is Better than your Gibson guys, but...if I had $500 to spend on a set of PAF clones, I'd but another set of Blizzard of 59's and spend the leftover $425 on some guitar lessons.

R1sky

Reaction score
I have a pair of Ox4 low wind pafs coming tomorrow.

I’ve heard great things .....

RAG7890

Reaction score
I have a brilliant set of original PAFs. Closet I've had or tried are OTPG, closely followed by bareknuckle stormy Monday and mules. The BK share many parts with OTPG as I understand
Yep, from memory the Mules are close to but not quite OTPG if I remember correctly.

I like what James does at ReWind and my Luthier's PU's that he builds from scratch, here in Australia.

They sound so close to my Vintage '62 PAF's with '58 Long Magnets, it's not funny.

The other Set I like is an old Set of OX4's that I have.

Lots to chose from these days but critical that you use the right set for the specific Guitar IMHO.

:cheers2:

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
Fralin Pure PAF low wind is what I would get if I was in the market.
Lindy is a friend of 40 years, and IMO he is the finest pickup winders out there. All but one of my guitars have Fralin pickups, and the one that doesn't has the best sounding set of Gibson P90s I've heard in a modern Gibson, but will likely put Fralin's in that eventually.

Peace y'all, Keith

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im looking for something very articulate woody and very flutey in the neck with good amount of honky mids in the middle position and bridge. I was looking at rewind PAF-1...
I'm not trying to sell you on them, but just wanted to mention you picked the right set, based on your description. Probably the A4 version for more woody/honky sounds.

Good luck with your search. Lots of great pickup options out there. Even vintage gear prices are down right now and the market is flush with awesome vintage gear.

AJK1

Reaction score
Yeah i can't help it. I got a es-339 that had SD antiquities in it and i found them to be incredibly stiff. I found that tok be the case for all my experiences with pcos you can find at big box stores lol. Theyre good just not great which is why i go the boutique route. Plus unlike Seymour Duncan who you'll only talk to if you're slash or joe bonamassa i can talk directly to these other winders n it won't take 6 weeks for a custom order.... well for the most part lol.
Ironically you put boutique pickups in big box store Epiphone guitars

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
I'm not trying to sell you on them, but just wanted to mention you picked the right set, based on your description. Probably the A4 version for more woody/honky sounds.

Good luck with your search. Lots of great pickup options out there. Even vintage gear prices are down right now and the market is flush with awesome vintage gear.

I really think im going to buy a set i been wanting one for a long time.

R1sky

Reaction score
I’m just waiting for some braided wire to upgrade my ls80 tokai and I will try do do a comparison of the stock pafs (gotoh I believe) and the OX4’s

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
Those things are like 800 bucks and takes like a year to get them.
$550USD last time I checked, and I hear the wait time is down to 6 months. I waited 20 months on mine as Tom was sick and almost died. I got mine in 2014, and bought 2 sets. 1 set I still have in the boxes.
They cost about the same as Throbak.
Throbak would be my second choice. Either the SLE 101 A2, or KZ115 with A4.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
$550USD last time I checked, and I hear the wait time is down to 6 months. I waited 20 months on mine as Tom was sick and almost died. I got mine in 2014, and bought 2 sets. 1 set I still have in the boxes.
They cost about the same as Throbak.
Throbak would be my second choice. Either the SLE 101 A2, or KZ115 with A4.
Must be 800 cause you paying for not waiting 4, 5months lol. Still too long to wait for pickups in my opinion.

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
Toms a 1 man operation, and makes his own bobbins, stamps out his own pickups covers, electroplates them himself.

Only thing not done by Tom is, he doesnt make the magnets, or the wire. He hand polishes the covers.

Tom also doesnt take prepayments, or do expedited service for more money.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Toms a 1 man operation, and makes his own bobbins, stamps out his own pickups covers, electroplates them himself.

Only thing not done by Tom is, he doesnt make the magnets, or the wire. He hand polishes the covers.

Sounds like he needs to hire some help lol, he can still charge 800 bucks ppl will still buy them. It'll just greatly speed up the process. Same reason it takes ppl like Stephen design and jm rolph forever. Lol

Latest Threads