Really having trouble thinking of a PAF set to get for a les Paul.

Marco78

Reaction score
I got 2 sets of those already lol. The ox4 dutchburst and ox4 hot duanes. Love them but i don't wanna repeat pickup makers anymore
I love to try Tyson Tone pickups, from the YT videos sound very very good. If you are located in USA, should be a good choice.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
You can get the Custom Shop set either way. Mine are unpotted and they are glorious.

Mine are also double creme.

David, describe your middle switch position tone with these pups (pictured). Beautiful guitar, but I'd go for chrome covered neck and black, no cover, bridge....ala' Pagey. Would Duncan wind something akin to,that?

Classicplayer

AJK1

Reaction score
David, describe your middle switch position tone with these pups (pictured). Beautiful guitar, but I'd go for chrome covered neck and black, no cover, bridge....ala' Pagey. Would Duncan wind something akin to,that?

Classicplayer
They are like that because they are true to Billy’s Pearly Gates pickups under the covers lol
Same as Pageys LP when in his prime, he had a cream bridge PAF

AJK1

Reaction score
What about Schmeckelhead pickups ive heard they are very good

David Garner

Reaction score

Classicplayer
They absolutely will. There is a set of double blacks with aged covers on eBay now unless they sold recently.

The middle position is wonderful. A ton of chime, sparkle. Just the right amount of bite with everything full up and all sorts of great tones when you dial the volumes back. I’d be sure to get the unpotted versions — they do wind some with “light potting,” which to my mind is like being a little bit pregnant. Once you’ve gotten enough wax into the coil to stop squeal, you’ve gotten enough to stop all the good stuff too.

AJK1

Reaction score
They absolutely will. There is a set of double blacks with aged covers on eBay now unless they sold recently.

The middle position is wonderful. A ton of chime, sparkle. Just the right amount of bite with everything full up and all sorts of great tones when you dial the volumes back. I’d be sure to get the unpotted versions — they do wind some with “light potting,” which to my mind is like being a little bit pregnant. Once you’ve gotten enough wax into the coil to stop squeal, you’ve gotten enough to stop all the good stuff too.
Agreed

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
Im looking for something PAF like. 57 to 62. Id even be open to a PAT# cause to my ears they're just as good if not better than the PAFs. They're way more consistent
The early Pat Number pickups are over a grand each. Possibly a good buy with a Treasury check, but it will take at least two of them to fill a Les Paul. We need another PAF shootout. Jammin probably spent thousands of dollars on his last test. Scientists refer to this investigation using the phrase, "What Mad Pursuit." I'm too old for this.

Classicplayer

Reaction score

Thanks for this info. If you got unpo ones, is there any noise from them?

Classicplayer

Ebb Ramone

Reaction score
LINDY FRALIN'S PURE PAFs. Nothing else needs to be said!!!

Keith

MCT

Reaction score
I settled on buying the flametone 59 pickups. Found some on sale used. Now i just gotta wait for it to be sent to America lol. Poed to be delivered tomorrow.

Thank you everybody.
Lemme know how you like them- I’ve been eyeing these myself

Latest Threads