Really having trouble thinking of a PAF set to get for a les Paul.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Im usually very decisive when i buy gear. I knew i wanted kloppman pickups i bought a set of kloppman hb59. I knew i had to have monty Pafs i ordered a set of them. But i got a third les Paul that needs a set and for the life of me can't decide what to get. Originally i wanted a set of doyle tru coils but considering how tele on steroids they sound that would be too similar to the description of the montys. I don't want my guitars to sound anything alike.

Im looking for something very articulate woody and very flutey in the neck with good amount of honky mids in the middle position and bridge. I was looking at rewind PAF-1 and possibly flametone 59 pickups. Any suggestions except for seymour Duncans and dimarzios is welcomed haha. Help me out fellow tone chasers.

markbastable

Strange kind of blues-coloured moon
Reaction score
I wrote to Jaime, who’s the guy running The Creamery, with a description of the sort of noise I imagined and he wound me a pickup that did just what I wanted.

MCT

Reaction score
Creamery is always a good option. For what you’re describing, perhaps a Tyson Tone Precious and Grace?

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Creamery is always a good option. For what you’re describing, perhaps a Tyson Tone Precious and Grace?

I have a set of tyson tones in my es-5 with p90s. Once i begin my PAF replica journey i found myself buying alot of the same companies stuff. I got 2 ox4s a dutchburst and a hot Duane. I got throbam sle 101 er custom and mt 102b and 4 sets from electric city like the rd59 hybrids the fool 50s p90s and another set. I get real early wes Montgomery and especially Kenny Burrell tones from that. So i been trying new companies with every guitar. Cause they start to sound the same unless you put em in different style of guitars like flying v vs a sg.

MCT

Reaction score
I have a set of tyson tones in my es-5 with p90s. Once i begin my PAF replica journey i found myself buying alot of the same companies stuff. I got 2 ox4s a dutchburst and a hot Duane. I got throbam sle 101 er custom and mt 102b and 4 sets from electric city like the rd59 hybrids the fool 50s p90s and another set. I get real early wes Montgomery and especially Kenny Burrell tones from that. So i been trying new companies with every guitar. Cause they start to sound the same unless you put em in different style of guitars like flying v vs a sg.
Fair enough. Perhaps the Throbak KZ-115s? The new Mojotone Premium A2 PAF set? Sigil Georgia Bootlegs or Snakebites?

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Fair enough. Perhaps the Throbak KZ-115s? The new Mojotone Premium A2 PAF set? Sigil Georgia Bootlegs or Snakebites?

I got enough throbaks got 3 of those. Got a mojotone johnny winter firebird set. Now sigil is a company i was curious about like 2 or 3 years ago.

jwinger

Reaction score
I have a brilliant set of original PAFs. Closet I've had or tried are OTPG, closely followed by bareknuckle stormy Monday and mules. The BK share many parts with OTPG as I understand

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
I have a brilliant set of original PAFs. Closet I've had or tried are OTPG, closely followed by bareknuckle stormy Monday and mules. The BK share many parts with OTPG as I understand

Interesting. I heard good things about bare knuckle stormy Monday pickups n the mules.

AJK1

Reaction score
Im usually very decisive when i buy gear. I knew i wanted kloppman pickups i bought a set of kloppman hb59. I knew i had to have monty Pafs i ordered a set of them. But i got a third les Paul that needs a set and for the life of me can't decide what to get. Originally i wanted a set of doyle tru coils but considering how tele on steroids they sound that would be too similar to the description of the montys. I don't want my guitars to sound anything alike.

Im looking for something very articulate woody and very flutey in the neck with good amount of honky mids in the middle position and bridge. I was looking at rewind PAF-1 and possibly flametone 59 pickups. Any suggestions except for seymour Duncans and dimarzios is welcomed haha. Help me out fellow tone chasers.
What guitar will they go in ?

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
What guitar will they go in ?

I already said it in the initial post lol. A les Paul the last one. I think i got a very diverse array of pickups in my les pauls

3 humbucker black beauty wizz and ox4 hot Duane
Tokai gold top electric city ep50s
4 epi lp standards
- throbak sle 101
- kloppman hb59
-monty PAF

I need something for the 4th lp

AJK1

Reaction score
I already said it in the initial post lol. A les Paul the last one. I think i got a very diverse array of pickups in my les pauls

4 epi lp standards
- throbak sle 101
- kloppman hb59
-monty PAF

Lol I must have missed it as all I could see is Les Paul the third one ?

AJK1

Reaction score

4 epi lp standards
- throbak sle 101
- kloppman hb59
-monty PAF

4 epi lp standards
- throbak sle 101
- kloppman hb59
-monty PAF

Do you own a Gibson ?

MCT

Reaction score

4 epi lp standards
- throbak sle 101
- kloppman hb59
-monty PAF

Go for the Sigil’s. When push comes to shove, Dave Bowes is my favorite winder.

David Garner

Reaction score
Don’t sleep on Seths and Antiquities. I’ve gone from being a boutique pickup snob to having Duncans in 3 of my 4 electrics. And the 4th (a Tele) might get a set of Broadcasters before I’m done.

Latest Threads