Really disappointed for this

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Solution would be pretty easy; just use a template with same hole/route diameter, so that you can align/center the four holes with the main route. Drill the pilot holes. Then mount the real plate. Done.

az2000

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Solution would be pretty easy; just use a template with same hole/route diameter, so that you can align/center the four holes with the main route. Drill the pilot holes. Then mount the real plate. Done.
I bought a used Epiphone Special-II which was missing the jackplate. I bought a generic square plate from Stewmac, but the holes didn't line up. They were just 1/2mm off. The screws just wouldn't go in straight. (I assume the China factory used some off-brand, lowest-bidder part that was off a little. I doubt there's really two different plates with such a tiny variation in hole pattern.).

I used wood glue and a toothpick to fill the holes. Taped around the holes, lightly sanded that flush. Then used the plate as a template. (Drill one hole, screw it down. then use the plate as a template.).

I tried to better center the jack hole within the cavity. But, later I think I realized the jack itself isn't perfectly round, and might benefit from being offset a little in the cavity. (Or, maybe my cavity wasn't as large around as it should be.). I mention that because making the plate hole perfectly centered might have unintended consequences. I'd eyeball that before drilling the holes. My jack has to be oriented a particular way in the cavity or the long flexy part (that moves when the plug is inserted) will hit the wall of the cavity.

az2000

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
That's not something you can expect QC to catch. That's on the dumbass who was at the Jack plate station that day.
That seems problematic. If the workflow were such that the holes were drilled, and assembly performed in a later step, there could be QC. If they set it up so it's a monolithic step (drilling and assembly), that seems even worse than no QC. It basically says "we don't want to know."

I don't understand how the screw holes could be that far off. I would expect there to be some sort of jig installed in the cavity hole. Those holes look like they were eyeballed (after a hard night drinking). If they can't QC that stuff (especially stuff that isn't jig-driven; subject to more human error), that's a self-created deficiency in their process (IMO).

Last edited:

irocdave12

Reaction score
That seems problematic. If the workflow were such that the holes were drilled, and assembly performed in a later step, there could be QC. If they set it up so it's a monolithic step (drilling and assembly), that seems even worse than no QC. It basically says "we don't want to know."

I don't understand how the screw holes could be that far off. I would expect there to be some sort of jig installed in the cavity hole. Those holes look like they were eyeballed (after a hard night drinking). If they can't QC that stuff (especially stuff that isn't jig-driven; subject to more human error), that's a self-created deficiency in their process (IMO).
The large jack hole is drilled much earlier in production. That defect happened in the wiring department where the employee didn't center the plate properly and likely didn't even know himself of the error and I believe the plates are used as the drill template themselves or they don't even drill and just use self tapping screws alone

lunchbox

Reaction score
I would send that shit right back to Gibson. Unacceptable.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would send that shit right back to Gibson. Unacceptable.
Why would someone not pick this issue up before it ships? If you are to resell the guitar you lose right off the bat and silly repairs like this are just a joke when you consider how much of a premium you pay for this name "Gibson". No way in Hell could I justify this. However, I speak from a cost and quality perspective. If you like the guitar then it would just makes it worse! Almost have to keep it. They should at least send you a free Gibson sticker.:wtf: Geeee?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson should be applauded here! That's exactly the way they did it in '57. Historical accuracy baby!

Rds

Reaction score
I love my gibsons. I never had an issue until a few I've bought in the last two years. Used ones. Got one with the bridge out of line with the tailpiece and bridge pickup. Can feel an edge on the neck where binding is on a traditional I have otherwise I love it. And a few other farts that got by. What can you do. I still love them. Bastids!

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that I just bought a 2009 SG standard with a fat wide 50's neck and it is spot on perfect in every way. Very happy this one!

nitrodave08

Reaction score
The guitar is brand new, one month of life, but yes is maybe end of 2017
Going by the time difference I would guess that it was in a store for a good amount of time. Who knows what the salespeople/techs did to it. The one screw may have been loose and someone gorilla'd it.

Unless it came straight from Gibson, you can't say what it has been through

ARandall

Reaction score
Why would someone not pick this issue up before it ships?
The question is 'how could they'

You're not take the guitar apart during QC - if you have any sense that is. You cannot see into the jack hole to align from either side with the plate in place either.
Quite frankly, a lot of 'laymans blame game' going on in this thread.