Real time music collaboration over the internet

Victek

Reaction score
My wife recently tried using Skype for vocal practice with someone in her chorus and discovered it doesn't work. The combination of latency and what seemed like single-duplex operation made it useless. Can you recommend VOIP service that makes real time music collaboration possible over the internet?

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Depending on the location of the people connected, it might be difficult to overcome internet latency. Would it be fesible to use a quality speakerphone system with a confrence type call over the normal phone lines?

yeti

Reaction score
This problem was solved a few years ago by Charlie Steinberg of Nuendo/ Cubase fame. Internet based recording sessions in realtime.

Digital Musician

Victek

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - I'll look into these two.

cheers!

Royal Crimson

Reaction score
I hear that Malikon gives online lessons, but maybe that doesn't require collaborative play, but is more of a "monkey see, monkey do" trading off that isn't killed by latency.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
TeamSpeak works well. (I use it for gaming). Before that, we used Ventrilo. It was fantastic soundwise when the connection was good. It supports surround sound as well.

yeti

Reaction score
for internet collaboration latency is the enemy. Great sound isn't nearly as important as low latency. Digital Musician streams low bandwidth audio that's good enough to play to. Hi-res files are recorded locally and then send to participants after the fact.

LenPaul

Reaction score
On line collaboration has actually been around for a while, since the late 90's from what I re-call although not in real real time.
They come & go simply because the cost of maintaining servers & the cost of bandwidth is ten fold the money they get coming in.

Cubase, Logic & ProTools all had on line collaboration built in by the late 90's. & it worked great, it just was not cost effective so got canned.
It's a great idea. It's been done several times & all have failed.
Maybe someday, it will be a reality, but it won't be cheap or for free.

Latest Threads