Real or Fake? Ctaigslist 1957 LP Junior

Roxy13

Reaction score
I wonder if putting this in the Vintage area might get you more expertise?

guitaroholic

Reaction score
It "has a brand new case" because while the guitar is unmarked and just sat in some other potentially original case, the original case withered away while protecting the guitar. RAAAIIIIIIGHT.

Overpriced either way.

jvin248

Reaction score

The "I" in "Gibson" dot ... I can't remember if that being out of alignment behind, right above, or forward was ok or not but look into that feature. That was a 'tell' on other guitars before.

Angle of the bridge could be excessive. Seems like the real ones were more flat across with intonation problems -- "but close enough for rock 'n roll!"

Headstock doesn't look broken from the minimal pictures revealed ... so you can't tell if it's authentic from that issue or not.

Generally, I avoid all vintage guitars as there is too much temptation to fake them. I lately avoid all Gibsons due to the fragile headstocks. If I go close to Gibson it's the Epiphone line that they fixed the weak headstock problems through design improvements.

ARandall

Reaction score
Angle of the bridge could be excessive. Seems like the real ones were more flat across with intonation problems -- "but close enough for rock 'n roll!"

No, the vintage ones had potential intonation issues due to the excessive angle.....which at some point during the 50's was lessened.
The stock lightning bolt t/p guitars got the very straight angle as they were obviously somewhat compensated.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I don't know, there are 2 things that screams out to me to avoid. "It sat, unused for all those years. " To me this says that it played horribly, and sounded like crap to the original owner.

"I am a pro blues guitarist so I know what I'm talking about. " Translation: "I play a little guitar, or held a guitar once, whatever, and I haven't a clue as to what a good guitar should play like."

Even if it wasn't so horribly overpriced, I would avoid.

afireinside

Reaction score
Second odd one here in the Detroit area marketplace. A lady had a '57 tobacco jr for $1000 "all origional" but has a humbucker installed and no stock p90 to be found. Cheap ABS aftermarket case. I asked for the SN its a '89 jr modded. I told her all that and she took down her ad. Weird

Edwardtoscano

Reaction score
You would have to be crazy to buy this from this add, Claims the guitar is unused but what happened to the original case? Where are the original tuners? Anyone that removes parts from a vintage guitar keeps the parts, no mention. Also very clear no returns so your stuck. Price is way to high, this is not a les Paul. Also Gibson reissues this guitar a custom shop if $2500 and you would hard pressed to be able to tell the difference between a custom shop and vintage

goodguy

Reaction score
Not claiming the OP's ad is a scam -but- as in most cities, there are a couple notorious scammers in Detroit Craigslist. You know, the ones you get who are always lurking and show up in various forms... The "i wanna buy your guitar" and haggles you down, sets everything up and then ghosts you (and keeps circling back every 6 months for something else you post). Or the occasional posting of something for sale/trade and they start communicating with you when you inquire but ghost you when you get serious (as if they never had what they were advertising). Or the oddball ads that get emails or phone numbers that correspond to someone else you dealt with before (but now they are trying to pretend they are someone else). Or the guys who posts a seemingly endless stream of gear/high-end guitars and trying to make a living off lowballing people to get their inventory.
While I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a buck but at least do it honestly and treat people how you would want to be treated (don't play manipulative games and ghost people). At least Facebook allows you to see who you're dealing with - unfortunately it allows the crazies to see you too. I guess it comes with the territory. In fact, a few weeks back some guy in Detroit was posting a Bolin guitar for $500, turns out I know the Builder, contacted him to find out the $15,000 guitar was stolen from his customer's barn (was a one of a kind custom build). I tried to buy the guitar back for the original owner ... seller ghosted quickly. Buyer beware - especially with the pseudo anonymity of CL.

skydog

Reaction score
Where are the original tuners? Anyone that removes parts from a vintage guitar keeps the parts, no mention.
Not necessarily true with tuners. I had a 1953 Gibson and one by one the tuners crumbled. I had bought a set of six, only needing one desperately. Within a month, two more had crumbled and been replaced. The other three just self-destructed when removed. There literally was nothing to save but crumbs. I did save them for a while, in a baggie, but then thought, “why?”.

afireinside

Reaction score
In fact, a few weeks back some guy in Detroit was posting a Bolin guitar for $500, turns out I know the Builder, contacted him to find out the $15,000 guitar was stolen from his customer's barn (was a one of a kind custom build). I tried to buy the guitar back for the original owner ... seller ghosted quickly. Buyer beware - especially with the pseudo anonymity of CL.
You were part of that bolin recovery also?! I saw the marketplace ad and was trying to leave work to snag that not even knowing Bolin guitars it just looked amazing and underpriced. Did some googleing found the owners stolen thread post along with 3 or 4 others. One guy meet up with the theif? informed him it was stolen and let him drive away with it.... but he passed the guys phone # to PD and the owner. Kid removed the SN from the case after that. I was in the mean time trying to get him to hold it so i could essentially steal it back. I.e. while inspecting it not give it back and have PD on the way. But he stopped responding and deleted his Facebook. I took screenshots of pictures/ad/conversations and his profile while it was up still. Finally the real owner saw our PMs and started contacting us. My screenshots and the guy having his number and going to physically confirm the stolen guitar allowed MSP to recover it! Owner was amazing tossed me and i think others $100 for our efforts. Man i didn't realize they were 15k! Glad he got that back.... still missing a heritage and a amp.....

Edwardtoscano

Reaction score
Maybe it’s real but seems like most agree looks like a scam. First off whenever someone posts in here about some vintage guitar but doesn’t know much first red flag, the listing itself all kinds of red flags, no original case no mention what happened to it, but the guitar sat for years untouched ok so where is the case? Tuners changed no mention of the originals. If the seller had a real vintage guitar, is he the original owner? How does he know the history? What about getting authenticated? To many scams with these vintage guitars, either buy from a reputable shop with a return policy or take an expert but Craig’s list for $18K forget it.

guitaroholic

Reaction score

The "I" in "Gibson" dot ... I can't remember if that being out of alignment behind, right above, or forward was ok or not but look into that feature. That was a 'tell' on other guitars before.

Headstock doesn't look broken from the minimal pictures revealed ... so you can't tell if it's authentic from that issue or not.

Generally, I avoid all vintage guitars as there is too much temptation to fake them. I lately avoid all Gibsons due to the fragile headstocks. If I go close to Gibson it's the Epiphone line that they fixed the weak headstock problems through design improvements.

The "i" dot is off to the left in many silk screen Gibson models... can't tell you which exactly. My '92 Studio Lite has it like that, my '11 DC Special does not. 50s silk screens have it too...

Latest Threads