real or fake 2008 lp custom

rocca

Reaction score
i had some extra hardware laying around and saw this guitar for sale body only with the nut still on. Most of the parts that i attached were from a black epiphone les paul standard i had but broke the neck on. The emg 81tw/89r came out of a schecter at some point i think. I realise the non original hardware might make this challanging but whats your call real? or fake?
my thoughts : Fake. putting the parts on the guitar was more fun than playing it, feels sorta dull. the backfill around the inlays is horrible its like a 16th of an inch higher than the fret board surface so on at least three frets it just drags against the strings and its awefull super harsh feeling. the fret work /fret board and inlay work on the epiphone LP standard i still have is alot better and its not really noteworthy. The screw holes for the pick gaurd and pickup rings are slanted on more than a few holes. the truss rod cover "les paul" looks off to me. bridge tone pot seems slightly out of line. This guitar never gets picked up because it just dosent feel good. it could be the emg pup set just not working for me i normally play maple fretboard single coil strats but idk i dont mind emgs. i was under the impression from other reviews of the 2008 customs that they were aproaching gibson quality, i have not found this to be even close. i set it up myself, but also had it set up by someone really good and it didnt make a difference. I also read theese were faked a bunch. the guitar dater project says:
Your guitar was made at the
Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China
on September, 2008
Production Number: 7227
i dont buy it.

Attachments

DrBGood

Reaction score
Looks legit to me. Maybe you stumbled on a Friday night production. That might be why it was sold as a husk.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
"This guitar never gets picked up because it just dosent feel good."

It's got original cobwebs at least! :rolleyes:

rocca

Reaction score
thankyou. if its real ill probably sell it

rocca

Reaction score
i tottaly get what youre saying but if youre paying your workers cents a few bucks is a good margin maybe? either way im ok with it. it was a tinker project more than a real potential player, i think i paid around 100 dollars. im just shocked how it feels. my initial impression was it was made by a child, then i realised how dark and true that probably is and now i dont like it. USA made by adults only, i learned my lesson. i often feel this way with cheap vs expensive comparisons where people try to say you cant hear a difference. "Are you deaf man?" i think the idea epiphones are even close to a gibson needs to be put to rest.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
If your hardware is worth it sell it back as a husk?
Then sell the hardware.
Then start a new project, to acquire or build.

:dunno:

DrBGood

Reaction score
i think the idea epiphones are even close to a gibson needs to be put to rest.
Then don't try any of the new Inspired by Gibson Epiphones from 2019 on. Keep your beliefs anchored in that one bad example and/or 20 to 30 year old Epiphone.

I'm quite certain some Friday night Gibson jobs are out there having Epiphone owners say that the idea of a Gibson being better than an Epiphone needs to be put to rest.

voided76

Reaction score
The trouble with the line of thought is that like fella said there's less dead giveaways to a fake epi than a gibson, but the real incentive is: If you buy an Epi it's generally a fine instrument on a real budget that sounds mostly good and plays the same.

A fake epi only needs to have a convincing headstock. just about everything else can be plywood horseshit with SOME paint slapped on it. and that's the real problem with fakes. there's only one incentive and it WONT be a good instrument. That's also why a fake gibson usually isn't even as good as Epiphones.

My advice is play the nuts off of it. if does the thing, it's probably real. if it's garbage well it probably isn't an epi either. but the serial seems to look legit for maybe a korea epi or so. I owned a korea epi standard with a clownburst on flame veneer. it wasn't too bad. But I made the mistake of not redoing the electronics and pawned it off before I went to bootcamp.

voided76

Reaction score
the nut and the inlays is kind of a giveaway.

It's interesting that it's been played in really hard though. and that's mahogany under the paint chip so it's POSSIBLE that it's a once nice Epi silverburst custom that someone knocked off/lost the nut to and someone just slapped one on there and didn't level or file anything. you could do some dressing / green sink pad here and there on the inlay glue spots and the superglue spot on the board and deal with most of that trash. it just looks like it was played hard by someone, and then stripped/put away by someone who just didn't give a shit.

That's usually how husks get sold though.

voided76

Reaction score
i tottaly get what youre saying but if youre paying your workers cents a few bucks is a good margin maybe? either way im ok with it. it was a tinker project more than a real potential player, i think i paid around 100 dollars. im just shocked how it feels. my initial impression was it was made by a child, then i realised how dark and true that probably is and now i dont like it. USA made by adults only, i learned my lesson. i often feel this way with cheap vs expensive comparisons where people try to say you cant hear a difference. "Are you deaf man?" i think the idea epiphones are even close to a gibson needs to be put to rest.

Chinese Epiphone on a Vietnam Marshall.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Of course, this forum being a Gibson Fan Boys Club, you are in denial that there are uncountable posts outside of this forum about what year Gibson were crappy and awful quality control. But that's OK, you live in your own world that seem secure. Good for you and your memes.

Outside of that tiny world of yours, you might not have noticed, but your preffered guitar manufacturier happens to own Epiphone that in the past few years, came out with completely new lines that do rival Gibson guitars. Since you seem to base your beliefs on Epiphone guitars built in the last millenia, it's no surprise. But it's all fine with me.

Here's one example of what you don't want to see ;) ;) or hear ...

Last edited:

rocca

Reaction score
other people and their great sounding epiphones were making me second guess myself. just put fresh strings gave it a quick setup once over, plugged into a mesa with a 4x12, and just got feel stumped, switched to a similar pricepoint guitar (mexi strat) and had a blast. ill admit it would seem not all epiphones are but this one is a lemon, im blown away its real. im one of those guys who builds his own pedal boards to save 15 bucks or puts leftover white hardware on a silverburst to save money for that matter. I grind out at work extra to feed my pedal adiction i sware im not just a guitar snob. I allways root for the budget options and sometime it works out no denial (joyo sweet baby is on my board sounds great too). players hands aside id say most of the tone comes from the pickups and amp not the guitar body, my mexican strat with custom shop electronics sounds awesome in a youtube comparison you might not tell it from a usa (untill you actually go to play it) theres some weird hippie bs in finely crafted wood makes it more inspirational to play. unlike the simple electronics in the joyo sweet baby that allow it to copy the mad professor well, guitars are more like furniture or guns. theres a bunch of fine crafting and fine materials that need to intersect with skilled assembly to really sing. this is where that epiphone really lacks in my book. Like them or not (not my first choice) emgs are name brand respectable pickups they shouldnt be making the guitar feel dull. its the shoddy assembly, not having an ebony fret board, no maple cap plastic nut, not nickel hardware etc. i could make a video playing somthing generic while getting a decent tone from a nice amp using that guitar. but the quality x factor is huge in that it feels lifeless, this leads to less inspired playing, and honestly i get bored when i try to play thig guitar. its hard to explain how an epiphone could sound close a gibson but they "feel" nothing alike and it translates to inpiration probably the most illusive thing in guitar playing for me. when i first played a good usa made it was like an antenna for inspirstion, this custom is lifeless. im going to swap out the pups just becasue this is fun. To make sure that i just havent developed a extreme dislike for emgs over the years not playing them ill put some nice passive humbuckers in the guitar (zebra would fit the mismatch colors i think. and see if i cant change my mind. itd be awesome if i could play the same pups in a usa and make a comparrison, ill see what i can do.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Of course, this forum being a Gibson Fan Boys Club, you are in denial that there are uncountable posts outside of this forum about what year Gibson were crappy and awful quality control. But that's OK, you live in your own world that seem secure. Good for you and your memes.

Outside of that tiny world of yours, you might not have noticed, but your preffered guitar manufacturier happens to own Epiphone that in the past few years, came out with completely new lines that do rival Gibson guitars. Since you seem to base your beliefs on Epiphone guitars built in the last millenia, it's no surprise. But it's all fine with me.

Here's one example of what you don't want to see ;) ;) or hear ...

I'll give you that:
My 1965 Burst misses a lot of parts.
Even body parts.

Hey Gibson!

motowntom

Reaction score
Gibson's > Epiphone.... Epiphone's > Gibson.... Gibson's > Tokai..... Tokai's > Gibson... Firefly's > Epiphone....Fender's > Squire......Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!..... Suckers.
Cheers

Latest Threads