Real checking gallery

TheWellGoodShow

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
one question, how does checking exactly work?? and will it happen to the current les pauls over time?

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The lacquer and the wood react to temperature changes differently, causing the lacquer to shear.

New guitars have more plasticiser in the lacquer, so they will check less....but I'll be dead before any of these current guitars are 50 years old.

05hummer

Reaction score
what is that metal plate under the bridge on the custom for? Ive seen them before, but never asked...

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't want checking on my guitar, and luckily I won't have to deal with it. I don't really see why it's very popular, but you guys seem to like it which is cool. I like my guitars to look like they just came out of the box every day I play them, with the exception of mods, like Pups and tuners and all that stuff. I peronsally don't get why you guys buy a brand new guitar to make it look older, but if you guys like it, more power to you! :thumb:

Don't get my wrong, I love seeing these vintage Gibsons. Very cool thread Greg, thanks for sharing.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Absolutely perfect.

Do you currently own this guitar?

Kim

Reaction score
Here is the 57 with Duane's:

Guido

The Gweeeed
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thats some serious checking in the custom ,Greg. You are a big fan of juniors, dont you?

unpluggedinthemetro

Reaction score
natural checking is good and antiquish, they are like wrinkles. the stories of our lives..
oops that should have been on a different thread maybe, oh well hee hee hee