"Real" 58 on ebay..

suedehead

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted already.

A genuine 58 Junior converted to a full-fat LP way back in the day. But metric bridge posts, funky looking tuners, TRC with Standard printed on it. There must be more wrong with it than that.

Does anyone know what's going on with this guitar?

1958 GIBSON GUITAR, not reissue, Les Paul. Amazing history. | eBay

Or is it all genuine?

fretboarder

Reaction score
Looks a bit like a burst i had my hands on last night..:naughty:

none2low

Reaction score
I don't know anything about it, but I find it unusual that in the 4th picture it has what appears to be a 2 piece body. Typically a '58 Junior would have been a single piece slab body.

rclausen

Reaction score
He's probably selling it to buy more coke to snort off of another guitar

Philuk

Reaction score
So what's he done, put a top on it and added wood to the headstock?

Where did he get the wood for the headstock from?

This is confusing.

andreww

Reaction score
If you look at the photos there is a picture with a finished top attached yet it doesn't appear that the binding channel has been even routed yet. Also, is a junior even thick enough to be topped with a cap and achieve the thickness of a standard? Wouldn't you first have to pancake more mahogany on there? I could see turning a studio in to a standard, but a junior?

The guitar does look pretty though, just wonder about the workmanship.

andreww

Reaction score
Plus the fact that he says this guitar is the best sounding guitar he's ever played, and that he's gigged 150 shows a year for the past few decades, makes me wonder why he's selling it and what he's replacing it with? The BS meter is sounding pretty loud on this one.

reedy

Reaction score
Um... a junior with a serial of 8 92008. Nope. If Gibson used 6 digit serial numbers in '58, which they didn't AFAIK, it should conform to all the other years they used 6-digit numbers. All six number together with no space after the leading digit. But since they didn't do that in '58 this isn't a real number. Some of the conversion photos are pretty odd looking too. I'm going to go with rclausen and say a smack-head special.

retodd

Reaction score
I liked this quote:

"In its lifetime, it has had 1960 PAF's fitted but they didn't give me the crunch I needed so I had those replaced with GFS PAF pick ups"

Notice in the pics of the resto the back appears to be 1 piece, but as none2low noted the 'after' pic shows the back as a 2 piece center seam.

with 1 million + videos on youtube, this should be pretty easy to find...

T

Philuk

Reaction score
with 1 million + videos on youtube, this should be pretty easy to find...

T
This is also confusing. Does he mean, millions of les Paul videos, of other Les Pauls? How does that help anyone?

You guys think it's a fake?

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
I've contacted him. We shall see what the response is.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know that people have made Standards out of Jnrs. And even trying to pass them off. But this doesn't appear to be a good one.

Rodmac

Reaction score
If he wanted more crunch...... leave it as a '58 Junior !!!

If it's supposed to pass as the real deal.....it's the worst looking worn '58 I've ever seen.

I have seen Originals with two piece bodies, rare but do exist.

Bernie Marsden had one in his collection.

Archer

Reaction score
I don't know if all he says is true or not either but he's good at salesmanship and relicing (I think).

Pete M

Reaction score
I can't see anywhere that this is vintage - anything, really. It looks like a USA Standard or Trad maybe? (TRC, 2 piece back, pearl logo).

He doesn't seem to know anything about the work that would be involved. The resto pic are possibly another guitar and the maple cap in that neck pickup route looks way south of dodgy.

If that's not an amateur relic & razor checking job I'll eat my hat...and my coat...and my shoes.

Facepalm
For those bidders!

JJ Blair

Reaction score
I've seen horns like that before on Chinese replicas. There's so much bogus about this thing, I'm not even going to bother listing any of it. All I'll say is that it's not even a Gibson.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Oh, btw ... you can tell by the horn shape that the guitar in the "restoration" pic is a different guitar.

ajory72

Reaction score
Suprised no-one noticed its got cheapo Epiphone pick up rings on it... my guess is hes been relicing a Chinese fake Gibson...

[email protected]!

Frutiger

Reaction score
I've seen horns like that before on Chinese replicas. There's so much bogus about this thing, I'm not even going to bother listing any of it. All I'll say is that it's not even a Gibson.
Agree. Looking at the way the top's fitted in the cavity shot, it looks like a far eastern copy.

If it was a real junior then he's done a spectacular job of ruining it.

Latest Threads