REAL 1959 les Paul

Lousyatit

Reaction score
I know a little something about Bursts having owned one for the past thirty six years. One thing is that replaced parts are an issue, it tends to raise questions and "...the longer the tale, the harder the sale...". Also, I believe very little that I hear from a salesman. I doubt that those knobs came on that guitar, if you feel differently, find another example. The price that is being asked for that guitar is low, and there has to be a reason for that.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Actually, replacing the tuners with klusons (as long as they’re Gibson’s) isn’t a huge issue. The original tuners probably disintegrated. It’s not uncommon for that to happen. As for the knobs, I believe from what the gentleman said this guitar was a VERY late 59. So, it was probably a translation model before the first batch of 60’s hit the market. I’m unsure about the screw on the pick guard. But everything else was 100% original.
Those knobs didn't appear until late 60.

asapmaz

Reaction score
Yeah, there is no way that guitar would've ever been over the $300k mark. The top simply does not support that price. The current asking price, however, is actually very good given it's still an unbroken 59 with very minor issues.

Leumas

Reaction score
I’ve played one or two. Didn’t even have to wait a lifetime.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, replacing the tuners with klusons (as long as they’re Gibson’s) isn’t a huge issue. The original tuners probably disintegrated. It’s not uncommon for that to happen. As for the knobs, I believe from what the gentleman said this guitar was a VERY late 59. So, it was probably a translation model before the first batch of 60’s hit the market. I’m unsure about the screw on the pick guard. But everything else was 100% original.
It's cool you got to play it, but you are on a forum with many knowledgeable people....be careful on throwing out market values, and what does and does not affect price. You'll get proven wrong quick (like you have already), and this post will go sideways for ya.

Excellent looking guitar, and very cool your Dad got to experience it as well!

rialcnis

Reaction score
Kluson tuners were never that wonderful. . But who would care at that time, It would be natural to want better tuners that weren't so flaky.

aharp

Reaction score
right. Many of the books that I have said that the tuners on the old Gibson’s would disintegrate over time.

aharp

Reaction score
The tony bacon and Tom wheeler books I have say otherwise. My dad also is good friends with Jim derloo who used to work for Gibson when these instruments were made. He said that these knobs were present on many of the 1960’s les Paul’s.

aharp

Reaction score
I respect your experience sir. However, I would like to point out that the man we spoke to had been working at elderly for 30 years. Because he has access to the vault, he is no ordinary “salesman.”

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
You might want to add in the missing quotes to your last few posts. Makes it easier to get the attention of the people you're replying to.