Re-fretting MIJ LPs

beedoola

Reaction score
I have a EG-800 that I'm thinking have having refretted. I'm not sure what the original specs were on these but the FEB is still on the fret ends so I know the frets are original. They're pretty low in profile and semi-wide.

I don't have much experience and knowledge with the various types of frets usually used with LPs. I know I don't want small frets.

Perhaps medium jumbo.

Is there a typical spec used for LPs, or LPs of certain eras? Used on current production guitars that I can demo in a store to get a feel?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Even Gibson has used various types of fretwire over time. I suppose if you find a size you really like playing different guitars you could take measurements of it so you know what size to buy.

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also find a Japanese catalog for your year EG800 that may tell you what the fret size is.

You can use the Google Translate "Live Camera" Translation to try and decipher what was used or is the equivalent that is sold here.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Do you plan on keeping the guitar? Then pick your favourite fretwire and don't worry about anything else.
So just go to a store and try different guitars with different frets,, make sure they are guitars with identical scale length (Les Paul, SG, whatever) and not strat/tele style.
Then, make sure they have about the same neck profile.
Or uuhm, basicly you're just removing all variables that impact how a guitar plays, so you have a better idea of how the fret feels.

If you are concerned about value, originality and stuff,.. well a refret will allways be a refret. You could go with "correct" fretwire and pay extra to keep the fret edge binding. I don't think EG-800s are such collectors grade guitars that you should worry about this. So just put the frets you like

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Last time I was in a guitar shop I played some Eastman (I think) guitars, ES335 and Les Paul, they had jumbo frets for sure.

Modern Gibsons usually have medium sized frets

beedoola

Reaction score
I like the guitar and want to keep it so I want to pick the right wire for me in terms of feel. Resale value isn't of much concern. I'd rather have a guitar I really like and has new frets and an excellent setup.

Most used vintage guitars, and it seems especially MIJ, are running on the original frets which are likely not in the best of shape.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have bought some rather old ones that still had great frets and just needed some leveling and dressing. And several others got a full refret. Although one guitar I refretted had a new refret on it when I bought it but it was done horribly.

LP1865

Reaction score
Medium Jumbo is a good choice for LP style guitars

beedoola

Reaction score
I read the Adam Jones VOS LPC uses 6100 wire. Anyone have experience with these?

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I have 6100 fretwire on my Strat. I love it and I hope to get it put on some of my Pauls soon.

daithesaes

Reaction score
I've had a few MIJ LP's now. Most have needed a fret dress to make them playable; they all still have their original frets, but it goes with the territory of buying 30/40 year old guitars I think that you will need to do some work on the frets and at some point, they will need a refret.

I have an '82 Tokai LS80 that just had to have a refret so I put medium jumbos in there and lost the nibs in the process. I really don't mind that as it's all about playability for me. It is hands down the best guitar I own and is going nowhere! It is silky smooth to play now; I like medium jumbo frets and would do the same with the other guitars I have when it's time to have them refretted.

I echo what some other guys have said though, try some other guitars and find out what size frets you like, then put those on your guitar. You can find guys who will save the nibs for you but be prepared to pay alot more for the work.

Good luck!

Latest Threads