RE-charging Magnests ?????

Starrman

Reaction score
I picked up a wonderful Harmony Stratotone H88 to use for slide. It has those funky pickups like the one in this vid. I have a H44 as well, and it's single PU kicks but. Keeps up with humbuckers no problem
Anyway, I have them raised as high as possible, but have not been playing it much cause it's so weak in output.
Someone in passing mentioned re-charging the magnets/pickups, can anyone comment on this ? Do you think it could help ? I would like to hear a 20% or increase if possible. Please advise. Thanks!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET11Gchz6jI]YouTube - HARMONY STRATOTONE H88 1956 'ALDENS' - DEMO[/ame]

fretboarder

Reaction score
as far as i know you can get them recharged they loose their strenght over time, ( gauss rating? ) that will help them back, how they do it im not sure..

all this is just stuff ive read around here you can learn a lot lol..

i also read in the tone report that they had some 50's p90's that sounded subpar so a winder recharged the mags and they sounded great afterward, think it was either rolph or wolftone that did that..

Starrman

Reaction score
Thanks, More info would be great. Does it matter what kind of magnets they are?? Also, does anyone have any idea what kind of magnets were used in these specific pickups? The guitar is from the mid 50's.....

captcoolaid

Reaction score
A well charged mag will lose maybe 5% over 100 years something like that. However a poorly charged or non saturated mag ( prior to de gaussing) will and often does lose its charge a great deal.

As far as what type they could be Alnico class or ceramic. It could be a bad solder connection or any number of things in the electronics. Pots could be going bad.

Mick51

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A well charged mag will lose maybe 5% over 100 years something like that.

Mostly true, if you are talking humbuckers. However, I believe that P90s have two magnets per p/up; and, because of how they are loaded, they can lose quite a lot of their flux over a much shorter period. I would suggest that most original 1950's P90s have magnets which have lost a significant fraction of their magnetic strength. But, all they need is to have the magnets recharged.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
I have only taken readings off of some I think they were 60s, I will check to make sure, and i found very little difference in there reading. But yeah I could totally see that especially with say a A5 and A3 combo. I wonder how far the A5 would take the A3 down.

Starrman

Reaction score
Would you call those P90's ??? I was thinking they were some odd ball variation.....You can see them well in that vid

CL-10

Reaction score
Alnico magnets on a normal day, year, or decade- won't loose much of it's strength -normally. However, it is well documented that they can lose some or even a substantial amount of their energy from contact around high power transformrers, generators, other magnetic devices with strong magnetic forces, etc. Check out the Stewart McDonald site for how to recharge a magnet using 2 Neo magnets and a vise.

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Check out the Stewart McDonald site for how to recharge a magnet using 2 Neo magnets and a vise.

I would not use Neo for charging magnet. Several winders do that, but it's not very consistent at all.
if the OP wants, I'd be happy to charge the mags, free of charge, using my magnet charger. Pun intended. Shipping costs only.

charger.jpg

captcoolaid

Reaction score
You can charge with neos but like Wolf said without a gauss meter and a good idea on how to charge and de gauss you may not get the pull you want. I use neo for degaussing and for that purpose only. I would send them to wolf and have him do it or order new mags.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
And yet another smart guy. Today must be the day. Anyway Yes Wolfes way is best.

Texas Joe

Reaction score
Yea, i dont believe rare earth (aka permanent) magnets loose their strength. I could be wrong tho...

captcoolaid

Reaction score
From what I have gathered after endless conversations from my suppliers, If the mag is saturated you lose very little to nothing in the guass over say 100 years. Now that being said I have heard of folks who leave there guitar against their amps all the time and this will deguass a pup somewhat. How much I do not know.

LtKojak

Reaction score
If the mag is saturated you lose very little to nothing in the guass over say 100 years. Now that being said I have heard of folks who leave there guitar against their amps all the time and this will deguass a pup somewhat. How much I do not know.

It is "GAUSS", BTW. :)

This is the nature of the beast. Alnico mags are very sensitive to magnetic fields. The lower the grade the more sensitive it is. That's why you can play with the charge with a simple ceramic mag waving it over the slugs and/or screws to adjust the sound to your liking.

Other factors are the actual alloy and the annealing process resulting in different max Gauss levels reaching saturation, although being the same Grade (fx. Alnico 5 have the following grades: LNG 37, LNG 40, LNG 44, LNG 52 and LNG 60. The LNG 37 is the darkest sounding with the weakest magnetic field and the LNG 44 the brightest with the strongest magnetic field. Grade LNG 52 is also marketed as Alnico 7 and LNG 60 as Alnico 9)

Why I feel that things just got more confusing than clearer...? :naughty:

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Yeah I know but when I ran spell check it hates that word lol. Curious on the A7 tho I may be getting some A6 here in the near future. But the 3 companies I have talked with do not offer then A7.

Latest Threads