RCA NOS EL84's

J.T.

Reaction score
I just picked up a quad of el84's for a ridiculously cheap price. Going to stick them in my Dual Terror when they get here. It's still got the stock cheap Chinese tubes in it, so I'm sure anything will be an improvement. I know most folks go with the new JJ's in the Terrors, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried various NOS tubes, and what's your experience? Thanks!

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Never out em in an orange, but vintage RCA tubes are fantastic sounding and quite robust IME. Should sound significantly better than JJs. Congrats!

Where'd you snag the deal, if you don't mind

J.T.

Reaction score
On eBay - listed only as 6BQ5's. $100 for four, plus a Raytheon thrown in. My tweed has RCA 6L6's, and they are great. Hoping these are as good...

Coldacre

Reaction score
the real strength of NOS tubes in the power section is that they'll last much longer than modern Chinese / Russian tubes. they won't affect the tone too much, that change occurs when you swap out the pre amp section, in particular V1.

RCA's are great though, I have an RCA 12AX7 in V2 of my AC30.

hogdaddy

Reaction score

Duane24

Reaction score
I only run nos power tubes in my amps, last longer and they sound better. Burn through preamps so fast there's no point to them, but power tubes are worth the extra money. I'm always trying different brands and different years, can't go wrong with rca, I've currently got some 60s Sylvanias in both my deluxe and my plexi, and I would recommend them to anyone as well.

J.T.

Reaction score
I've got Telefunken EL34's in my MusicMan, from the factory. Monstrous amounts of clean overhead...

H. Mac

Reaction score
I've been an RCA fan since I started playing in the mid-1960s. If RCA tubes test good, they will sound great. I agree with what was said above, that they last longer and sound better than recent tubes. However, they are also quieter - less snap, crackle, and pop - than recent tubes.

Coldacre

Reaction score
He's gonna be pissed if one of those blows. Even NOS must have their duds. Regardless, $2500 for a pair of tubes is nutty.
it is to us normal people. but if you've got the cash for a 20k Turntable, a 5k cartridge and a 10k Line Stage or Phono stage.... $2500 for the best tubes you can buy is about on par.

if I was a rich man...... :laugh2:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
it is to us normal people. but if you've got the cash for a 20k Turntable, a 5k cartridge and a 10k Line Stage or Phono stage.... $2500 for the best tubes you can buy is about on par.

if I was a rich man...... :laugh2:
Keep in mind that most high-end cork-sniffing audiophile forums have a section explicitly set aside for no double blind test or talks about such.

No one wants to spend $50k on an audio setup to have a $2k system beat it in a double blind test.

In such forums they have long drawn out discussions about the sound differences they hear from power or usb cables etc etc.

He's gonna be pissed if one of those blows. Even NOS must have their duds. Regardless, $2500 for a pair of tubes is nutty.
I wonder how hard it is to get insurance on a shipment of those things.

Coldacre

Reaction score
Keep in mind that most high-end cork-sniffing audiophile forums have a section explicitly set aside for no double blind test or talks about such.

No one wants to spend $50k on an audio setup to have a $2k system beat it in a double blind test.

In such forums they have long drawn out discussions about the sound differences they hear from power or usb cables etc etc..
you don't have to tell me, I've been a member of one of those sites for many years. the worst part is the "host" of the site (an EQ engineer with an over-inflated sense of self worth) spends his time shilling products that he gets a kickback from.

eg "guys I just HAD to tell you about these amazing cables that are a bargain at $500 a metre..... they really punch above their weight" etc etc

any comments about double blind tests or calling him out for being a fraud are immediately deleted by the moderators.

I'm there for the music chat.

Coldacre

Reaction score
Very deep! :wow:

If only I was rich I would have the 30k turntable and the best tube amps, speakers etc. that money could buy.
I've listened to the Gyrodecs, Continuums, Macintosh's, SME, Michell etc and they sound lovely, but my ears don't hear anything that my P3 doesn't already give me. I've spent less than 5k on an analogue setup and I'm completely content. not going down that rabbit hole of upgraditis. life's too short! would rather buy more records :D

edit - sorry to the OP for going off topic

Latest Threads