Raw vintage pick ups

rhys1157

Reaction score
I just put a RV 5760 in the bridge of my traditional, sounds fantastic to my ears. Are any of you guys using these pick ups. I a/b with an electric city rd 59. I put the raw vintage right back in!

rhys1157

Reaction score
I just put a RV 5760 in the bridge of my traditional, sounds fantastic to my ears. Are any of you guys using these pick ups. I a/b with an electric city rd 59. I put the raw vintage right back in!

Anybody?
I think they're great pick ups but don't see any talk about them.

scovell001

Reaction score
Hi Rhys,

Perhaps you could upload some sound clips, then we can all hear for ourselves.

dmoss74

Reaction score
never heard of them, but went to their website after reading your op. one thing i noticed (and liked) was that they don't do the rw/rp thing on their strat pickups. i never fully understood when that became such a big thing. you seriously lose a lot of the "character" of the pickups, in order to have two positions quieter than the other three.

i mean, single coils are what they are. :) and i like the same config in any single coils...teles/p90s, any of them. just wind them like god (and leo) intended them to be wound. :)

but i digress. i only saw a couple things with people playing them online. one of which was from steve stevens; a guy for whom i feel is one of the biggest gear whores out there. sorry, just my opinion.

the stuff he was noodling around on didn't really seem to show any quality of the product. but those kind of reviews rarely do.

like mentioned, record something with yours, and let's hear 'em.

AJK1

Reaction score
Are they made in china ?

dmoss74

Reaction score
Are they made in china ?

interesting. i thought the web page looked a little "less than stellar" in design, but a lot of sites are. that's not a total bugaboo. then i started wondering about the xotic thing. it turns out they are all under the umbrella of this prosound communications, inc.

for the prices they are advertising the pickups, the page is very slight on actual provenance. from what i can gather, looking at the page linked below, they are made in japan. but i have no way of actually knowing that.

me, personally, i doubt i'd take a flyer on this brand, as there are so many other very capable winders, who are quite forthright about who they are, and also rely on actual joe's to review their gear, not just guys who make a lot of money doing so...and for numerous companies, too. :)

Prosound Communications Inc. - About Us

but hey, if the op loves them, great. it's his money, and they're his ears. :)

AJK1

Reaction score
interesting. i thought the web page looked a little "less than stellar" in design, but a lot of sites are. that's not a total bugaboo. then i started wondering about the xotic thing. it turns out they are all under the umbrella of this prosound communications, inc.

for the prices they are advertising the pickups, the page is very slight on actual provenance. from what i can gather, looking at the page linked below, they are made in japan. but i have no way of actually knowing that.

me, personally, i doubt i'd take a flyer on this brand, as there are so many other very capable winders, who are quite forthright about who they are, and also rely on actual joe's to review their gear, not just guys who make a lot of money doing so...and for numerous companies, too. :)

Prosound Communications Inc. - About Us

but hey, if the op loves them, great. it's his money, and they're his ears. :)

I wouldn't touch 'em

rhys1157

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch 'em

You should my friend, your missing out.
I guess I could care less if they're made in China really. If they are their quality is great and they make a damn fine pick up. I'd suggest we follow our ears

dmoss74

Reaction score
You should my friend, your missing out.
I guess I could care less if they're made in China really. If they are their quality is great and they make a damn fine pick up. I'd suggest we follow our ears

that's all well and good, but if the only "man on the street" reviews of any product are from folks who are compensated to give them, then you can see where a lot of folks would pull back the reigns and ask what is going on.

do you have any clips of these pickups yet? i'd like to hear what they sound like. i certainly wouldn't be throwing money at them, based on a few clips from paid endorsers.

all i know is that there isn't a lot of buzz about them. that--in and of itself--isn't a total deterrent, but it's out there. everyone knows the xotic line of pedals, and plenty of folks have commented on them. the guitar and pickup lines of that corp look like they are being more marketed, than trumpeted. there are many dozens (or more) pickup winders who have been around for years, and who plainly tell you their story, explicitly give material descriptions, plus go into depth on how they arrived at their own special recipes.

i have noticed a recent trend where pickup makers get a couple "semi" well known guitarists to go bonkers over their products. then, when looking into these products, you see that they are priced way above what even most boutique guys ask for their wares. i tend to take these products for what they are. eg, not scams, but slightly deceptive marketing ploys.

again, it's your dough. if you think these pickups are fantastic, then great. rather than ask the forum if anyone has heard of them, why don't you try convincing us that they are worth the asking price. a simple sound clip could go a long way towards that end.

rhys1157

Reaction score
that's all well and good, but if the only "man on the street" reviews of any product are from folks who are compensated to give them, then you can see where a lot of folks would pull back the reigns and ask what is going on.

do you have any clips of these pickups yet? i'd like to hear what they sound like. i certainly wouldn't be throwing money at them, based on a few clips from paid endorsers.

all i know is that there isn't a lot of buzz about them. that--in and of itself--isn't a total deterrent, but it's out there. everyone knows the xotic line of pedals, and plenty of folks have commented on them. the guitar and pickup lines of that corp look like they are being more marketed, than trumpeted. there are many dozens (or more) pickup winders who have been around for years, and who plainly tell you their story, explicitly give material descriptions, plus go into depth on how they arrived at their own special recipes.

i have noticed a recent trend where pickup makers get a couple "semi" well known guitarists to go bonkers over their products. then, when looking into these products, you see that they are priced way above what even most boutique guys ask for their wares. i tend to take these products for what they are. eg, not scams, but slightly deceptive marketing ploys.

again, it's your dough. if you think these pickups are fantastic, then great. rather than ask the forum if anyone has heard of them, why don't you try convincing us that they are worth the asking price. a simple sound clip could go a long way towards that end.

Sorry guys I was merely interested to know if these were pick ups anyone else was using. I have no way of recording them other than on my iPhone.

dmoss74

Reaction score
Anybody?
I think they're great pick ups but don't see any talk about them.

Sorry guys I was merely interested to know if these were pick ups anyone else was using. I have no way of recording them other than on my iPhone.

the first quote should be all you really need to know. for the prices they sell for, one would assume there would be some kind of "buzz" about them, other than steve stevens saying he likes them. :)

i'm glad you like them. for the prices they sell at, i'd go with many other well regarded, well known winders. seems like a pretty steep price for pickups that no one has heard of.

StringKing

Reaction score
So four years later: The Xotic Raw Vintage bridge humbucker is the most incredible pickup I’ve ever heard! A unique glassy howl, vocal quality, like an animated, idealized paf with unparalleled character!
Since Covid lockdown we’ve been on a mission and have auditioned like 50-60 and nothing can touch it for a soulful moan on bends and a punchy, explosive, complex midrange!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Certainly, nobody who auditions 50-60 pickups does so without recordings. That would be the largest pickup shootout ever done.

Let's hear the comparison recordings, then!

I mean, what's not to trust about an account with no activity and no posts, other than a 5 year old necropost glowing review of a product being accused of having a bunch of insincere paid reviews. Seems totally legit to me, especially after the claims of completing the world's biggest pickup shootout.

I only see three options. This guy never replies again, he replies that it wasn't recorded or the material was recorded but then "lost", or another shady account pops up and verifies it, but with no evidence.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Well, I have to eat my words.

As it turns out, StringKing is actually someone I know! A professional. ...and I know he really has been going through humbuckers and gear like crazy, lately. We've shared some tips and he's got excellent taste in gear and sound.

If he says it's a great pickup, and that he went through 50-60, than it's probably a pickup worth trying out and I absolutely believe that he went through at least that many, knowing him.

Sorry I doubted you @StringKing! I hope you understand my mistake and forgive me.

AJK1

Reaction score
So four years later: The Xotic Raw Vintage bridge humbucker is the most incredible pickup I’ve ever heard! A unique glassy howl, vocal quality, like an animated, idealized paf with unparalleled character!
Since Covid lockdown we’ve been on a mission and have auditioned like 50-60 and nothing can touch it for a soulful moan on bends and a punchy, explosive, complex midrange!
I just threw up

jbash

Reaction score
Sweetwater had these for a few years and I always thought about pulling the trigger, but they were super expensive and one or two reviews, no "hype" , barely any specs or info, no anything. So I never got the courage to try them. Pre- Covid they finally dropped the prices to insane levels and blew them out but they must have had very low stock because they were gone in a day.

I know Peach Guitars on yootoob has done a bunch of demos of the Xotic guitars with the Xotic pickups over the past couple of years, and they always sound pretty good to me, but it's been Tele and Strat clones or a HSS strat type, never the humbuckers in a Les Paul.

rhys1157

Reaction score
Still sounds great. I’ve had a few changes in this guitar but it’s still the best. In my opinion of course
1610923862679.jpeg

Latest Threads