Rarest of the rare SG pic.. a mystery to me

Tollie

Reaction score
I wear my guitars high now as well, goes better with my hiked up to my armpits old man pants! :rofl:
I like to wear them low, as low as I can reach while playing solos. If it were strictly rhythm I could go even lower. I am in my early fifties so I am still at that stage of fighting the notion that I am old and I am clinging desparately to my youth.

oceantoad11

Reaction score
Tony Sheridan here with 1962 Gibson SG/Les Paul Standard (which is possibly the same guitar that Harrison briefly used on stage at the Star-Club when The Beatles were photographed there in 1962) also had an SG Special.

The hunt continues for more of GH and that SG in 1962. Bueller?

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Please allow me to correct myself. The second pic in post #24 does show the “guts” of the side pull trem. Only the large nickel plated cover has been removed to reveal the mechanism. I’m the original owner of a 61 SG Standard, so I’m familiar with this trem, which was very unpopular back in the day. It had tuning problems and sucked tone, even when not in use. The rear part of the trem arm was made of pot metal and prone to breakage. People who played these guitars back then were always trying to adjust the complex (and poorly designed) mechanism. It is my guess that this is why the cover is off.

However, the first pic shows the rear of the guitar top without any sign of the trem mechanism, and with signs of repair. Confusing, isn’t it?

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
If Tony is playing a 62 SG Standard in the pics above, the side pull trem has been removed.
I could be wrong, but it looks like you can juuuust make out a bit of the lever if you expand the photo.

109C0C59-088E-47F2-AD81-0B99AD61B9A0.jpg

oceantoad11

Reaction score
Please allow me to correct myself. The second pic in post #24 does show the “guts” of the side pull trem. Only the large nickel plated cover has been removed to reveal the mechanism. I’m the original owner of a 61 SG Standard, so I’m familiar with this trem, which was very unpopular back in the day. It had tuning problems and sucked tone, even when not in use. The rear part of the trem arm was made of pot metal and prone to breakage. People who played these guitars back then were always trying to adjust the complex (and poorly designed) mechanism. It is my guess that this is why the cover is off.

However, the first pic shows the rear of the guitar top without any sign of the trem mechanism, and with signs of repair. Confusing, isn’t it?
The first picture (or top photo) is not a Std , it's a Special . Hence the soapbar P90s and Dot neck fretmarkers.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Confused? How can I help you?
Identifying early SGs is confusing ! I bought my 61 Standard new in November 1961, but am told it has a 1962 serial number. And the neck joint changed within model years. And there is the question of whether 60 SGs existed, which you have answered. And I have read that some early 63s had the side pull, and some say not. What a mess!

smk506

Reaction score
Identifying early SGs is confusing ! I bought my 61 Standard new in November 1961, but am told it has a 1962 serial number. And the neck joint changed within model years. And there is the question of whether 60 SGs existed, which you have answered. And I have read that some early 63s had the side pull, and some say not. What a mess!

I think the sg is the only Gibson solid body that’s been in constant production since it’s introduction and they’ve gone through a LOT of changes.

EverythingSG used to be an excellent reference with a page dedicated to each variation by year/s, but that’s lost to time sadly.

Latest Threads