Rarest MIJ LP Brand

jim777

Reaction score
Yes, LP 100,00 yen was high price. Supposedly.
That would have been $1000US in 1980 (Yen to US Dollar was 100 to 1), and a new Gibson LP Standard would have been about $650US. So yeah, it was a high price :)

Roxy13

Reaction score
Sure, but there were other brands with similar prices at the same time. Greco had several models that were 100k yen or more. Burny had some as well and so did Tokai. I'm quite certain there were others as well among the small brands like JooDee and what not.

Argus do seem to be really nice guitars and I would happily own one myself. I am often admiring semi and full hollow bodies they made.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Sure, but there were other brands with similar prices at the same time. Greco had several models that were 100k yen or more. Burny had some as well and so did Tokai. I'm quite certain there were others as well among the small brands like JooDee and what not.

Argus do seem to be really nice guitars and I would happily own one myself. I am often admiring semi and full hollow bodies they made.
For sure -- hell, all the LPs I've seen online (mine included) are plaintops. They were expensive when new, but not "Japan's most expensive Les Paul" or anything of the sort.

But yeah, nab one if you get the chance. Beware that most/all of them seem to be starting to suffer from Gretsch-style binding rot, but fit and finish is excellent and the pickups in mine sound really great. It's also got a really nice rosewood fretboard that looks/feels very Brazilian. Short tenon, if that matters to you. Also has a very round top carve and sets up with a fairly tall bridge, although those domey top carves kind of make the bridge look taller than it is, since they curve away so much at the posts. It's a pretty color, nice subtly shaded burst, kind of orangey, with a deep burgundy back -- doesn't look clowny.

villager

Reaction score
tokai LS-200 200000 yen in 1980. greco EGF1800 180000 yen in 1980 . burny FLG240 240000 yen in 1980 ...

NECRON99

Reaction score
tokai LS-200 200000 yen in 1980. greco EGF1800 180000 yen in 1980 . burny FLG240 240000 yen in 1980 ...
Well there ya go...... Maybe not the most expensive as stated.

But maybe original price was a topic that needed to be put out there and kicked around some. As I posted what I could find and it seemed correct, although it seems it wasn't. I just learned quite a bit.

(But are there any graphic/catalog to show the original prices of the other LP models listed?)

JDZ

Reaction score

NECRON99

Reaction score

JDZ

Reaction score
Very Cool. TKX
The page from the catalog with the prices that I posted does say that all their models are finished in lacquer:
Lacquer-finish body and neck handling cautions
The bodies and necks of all Argus guitars are stained entirely with a lacquer finish, which requires care.

• The lacquer finish is applied in such a way as to perfect the vibrational and sound qualities of the material. It is also easily scratched and damaged.
  • The type of lacquer used is sensitive to chemical interference, and should not come in prolonged contact with materials containing nylon-based adhesives. (Do not leave the instrument on faux-leather sofas or apply stickers, etc.)
  • Use specialty wax or special oil to remove smudges from the body and to clean the fingerboard.

I've got an Argus 335, which I haven't had time to go over. It came with Gotoh pickups.
Another 335 I bought came with an original Argus case.

Does your Custom have an Ebony or Rosewood fretboard?

kakerlak

Reaction score
The page from the catalog with the prices that I posted does say that all their models are finished in lacquer:
The bodies and necks of all Argus guitars are stained entirely with a lacquer finish, which requires care.

• The lacquer finish is applied in such a way as to perfect the vibrational and sound qualities of the material. It is also easily scratched and damaged.
  • The type of lacquer used is sensitive to chemical interference, and should not come in prolonged contact with materials containing nylon-based adhesives. (Do not leave the instrument on faux-leather sofas or apply stickers, etc.)
  • Use specialty wax or special oil to remove smudges from the body and to clean the fingerboard.

I've got an Argus 335, which I haven't had time to go over. It came with Gotoh pickups.

Man, I wish I had an Argus case -- they look the business!

Roxy13

Reaction score

Can we see more? It looks gorgeous!

Latest Threads