Rare, strange or special Morris Les Paul?? SOLVED

Hennie

Reaction score
Rare, strange or special Morris Les Paul??
I bought this morning a vintage Morris Les Paul. When I bought it I saw a few things tobe fixed on the guitar.
At home I tested the guitar on an amp and the sound was amazing with just 3 strings, but the PU switch was bad and pots a little cracking. So I turned the guitar to remove the covers to check the circuits.
Guess what, no covers, a blind backside.
The body is as thin as the body of a Epiphone Special II and looks the same from the rearside

Any thoughts, suggestions, information about the guitar?

Mudface sugested to try it via the pu holes and that worked

Thanks everybody for the input

Attachments

Last edited:

GammyBird

Reaction score
No, it's not rare or special. They were manufactured in Japan in the '70's and are considered to be low end guitars. Nice to hear you like the tone. You should fix it up and play the shit out of it.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
Semi-hollow body,... probably has a large jack plate to access controls and/or through the pickup holes.... typical Japan made electric with American inspired names.... not unique.

Hennie

Reaction score
No, it's not rare or special. They were manufactured in Japan in the '70's and are considered to be low end guitars. Nice to hear you like the tone. You should fix it up and play the shit out of it.
The main problem is that I can't access the pots and switch from the back

Hennie

Reaction score
Semi-hollow body,... probably has a large jack plate to access controls and/or through the pickup holes.... typical Japan made electric with American inspired names.... not unique.
Thanks Thanks Thanks That is the solution. Everything, switch, pots, jack comes out via the PU holes :)

Attachments

GammyBird

Reaction score
I found a Morris catalog from 1973 that has 2 LPs. Both had set necks though but given the specs on that guitar, early to mid '70's would be a good timeline for that guitar. The really great MIJ LPs were produced later in the 70's.

FYI: Morris electric guitars were only produced for a short time. They mainly manufactured acoustic guitars.
Morris.JPG

Hennie

Reaction score
I found a Morris catalog from 1973 that has 2 LPs. Both had set necks though but given the specs on that guitar, early to mid '70's would be a good timeline for that guitar. The really great MIJ LPs were produced later in the 70's.

FYI: Morris electric guitars were only produced for a short time. They mainly manufactured acoustic guitars.View attachment 419568
Thanks for the picture, the Morris Telecaster model is one of my favorits too.

Attachments