Rare Finish Traditional Pro Questions

Billy Blues

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum and have a question regarding a possible rare find/purchase of a 2012 Traditional Pro Goldtop. All traitional pro goldtops I have ever seen, played or come across since 2010 have a dark reddish/brown back on them (I currently own a 2010 trad pro GT, 2011 trad pro GT with P90's, and now 2 2012 trad pro GT's). Long story short, I recently found and purchased a 2012 goldtop traditional pro with a light back! I am positive it is a traditional pro (was advertised on GC's platinum room website at their Baton Rouge store, has the zebra pups, grover locking tuners, and model number indicates it) and positive they are supposed to come in a dark back.

So my question is: Do you think this is something to ask Gibson about and would this be considered a fairly rare Les Paul considering it is a one of a kind traditional pro GT that came from the factory this way?

I have heard about the 1972 standard where only 9 were made and also heard about the 18 or so 1977 deluxes that had a different wood for the neck. This in my opinion falls into these categories given it was not a custom order, it was some employee that made it this way and it left the factory as an atypical traditional pro GT. Thoughts?

(sorry for the shotty pics, the iphone can only do so much on the run)

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 116

Adazzleman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum and have a question regarding a possible rare find/purchase of a 2012 Traditional Pro Goldtop. All traitional pro goldtops I have ever seen, played or come across since 2010 have a dark reddish/brown back on them (I currently own a 2010 trad pro GT, 2011 trad pro GT with P90's, and now 2 2012 trad pro GT's). Long story short, I recently found and purchased a 2012 goldtop traditional pro with a light back! I am positive it is a traditional pro (was advertised on GC's platinum room website at their Baton Rouge store, has the zebra pups, grover locking tuners, and model number indicates it) and positive they are supposed to come in a dark back.

So my question is: Do you think this is something to ask Gibson about and would this be considered a fairly rare Les Paul considering it is a one of a kind traditional pro GT that came from the factory this way?

I have heard about the 1972 standard where only 9 were made and also heard about the 18 or so 1977 deluxes that had a different wood for the neck. This in my opinion falls into these categories given it was not a custom order, it was some employee that made it this way and it left the factory as an atypical traditional pro GT. Thoughts?

(sorry for the shotty pics, the iphone can only do so much on the run)

Does it have the satin back finish? Good find. I am not a fan of the dark backs. That is a good looking guitar. Don't know how rare it is though.

Billy Blues

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. It does have the satin back finish. Some employee made it like this and gibson let it slip through the cracks. Serial number and model number all check out to be a traditional pro.

Given there is quite possibly only one like this, my positive side says it is pretty rare. Who knows, but most one offs are custom ordered and this one is not.

I too prefer the light back.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
It's nice, for sure, and maybe even the only one, but I don't know how 'rare' it may be considered by most, since it wasn't a conscious run. I don't think this would inherently increase the value, maybe a little at most, but I doubt it.
Either way, happy New Guitar Day, looks great, and welcome to the forum!:thumb:

Billy Blues

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The value for me is second to owning a one of a kind that I know is mine and only mine. This with it sounding amazing is more than enough of course. Just wondering if it would be considered rare. It not being a conscious run to me would make it lean more on the rare side, sort of like a coin that comes from the mint with a mistake or oddity.

One would have thought Gibson would have caught this before letting it be shipped which also tells me they knew that it was not the standard back color. Who knows. i think I will call them to maybe find out more.

laterider

Reaction score
Aren't they going to a Trad Pro II this year, so maybe this is a transistion one? Do the Trad Pro II GT's have light backs?
In any case I dig the lighter back on that one, looks great from either side. Enjoy!:slash:

Billy Blues

Reaction score
The trad pro II as far as I can tell on the GC website only has the goldtop offered with a 50's neck. They are a bit all over the place with the website and pics.

framptone54

Reaction score
The one they had in stock at my local gc had a light back, I was very close to purchasing it.

Huck1far

Reaction score
Just recently saw one of these with a light back at my local GC as well... Didn't play for 2 long, as I was concerning myself more with a gorgeous trad desert burst, that I ended up walkin away from... Sigh.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
I'd say it's more an oddity than a rarity, speaking as the owner of the only flame top Trad Pro I've ever seen. Possibly a selling point, unlikely to add value.

framptone54

Reaction score
I'd say it's more an oddity than a rarity, speaking as the owner of the only flame top Trad Pro I've ever seen. Possibly a selling point, unlikely to add value.

Pics of that please, I'd really like to see it.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0599.jpg

Bought new at the Boston GC during one of their trade-in incentive sales.

Billy Blues

Reaction score
Love the flame top. I think it is great to find these oddities. Although it does not improve playing, it does make the guitar feel more special for some reason. This is coming from someone with 63 guitars.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
Pure luck. I had brought in a bandmate on the way to rehearsal, and it set off alarms. Came back with a cheapo to trade in (got $75 and a 20% discount on a guitar I paid $150 for), and the rest was history. Sounds great, plays great, doesn't intonate terribly well on the E and B string above the 14th fret, but it's become my #1.

There was also a SG Standard in Heritage Cherry with a spectacular fiddleback grain to the mahogany... almost became a double kill.

Latest Threads