Rails/Blades in a Les Paul

akuster777

Reaction score
Who loves em?

My other LPs have boutique PAF and Ttop clones, but for a change I picked up my first set of rails, a used, aged set of Bareknuckle Black Hawks (aged before the seller got them). I put them into my 97 Studio, and they are so fun to play loud with gain straight into my 2204 clone.

Yes, they have a totally different EQ than the pickups in my other guitars and need to be dialed in differently on the amp. They use 42 awg formvar wire and are wound to 8.2k dcr neck and 9.2k bridge; so lower than other gainy pickups I've tried. To my ears, the neck pickup can be quite versatile and has some chimey cleans. But what's really fun is the bridge with 3 ceramic magnets, that has excellent note definition with chords even very high gain. Great airy attack, searing and growly sustain. I was surprised the strings sounded balanced in these rails without any screw coils to fine tune heights.

In this particular Studio, for the bridge pickup, I've tried a SD custom 5 and a Bareknuckle Nailbomb, but they didn't push the amp or have a voice like PAF clones I've had in there (it had a set of Montys that might go back in... but maybe not). This Black Hawk bridge pickup really sings.

Anyone else have good (or bad) experiences with rails in an LP?

20200808_181738.jpg

20200808_182243.jpg

smk506

Reaction score
I’ve got Bill Lawrence xl pickups in one of mine now, but I’ve had them on up to 4 guitars at one time. They used to be my favorite pickup and I would get screaming deals on them at NAMM, so i still have a bunch of loose ones lying around too.

I still kinda think if I could only have ONE pickup forever, but as many guitars as I wanted, I would make the xl the one. It’s not a master of any one thing, but it does a whole lot really well. Thankfully that’s not the case though so I can drink fully from the cup of tone.

ARandall

Reaction score
For me the look tends to be a bit too much '80's hard rock' to put in a Les Paul......which for me is very much a classic look.

Other styles like the superstrat or more aggressive bodies I'd probably have no issue with the rails.

smk506

Reaction score
For me the look tends to be a bit too much '80's hard rock' to put in a Les Paul......which for me is very much a classic look.

Other styles like the superstrat or more aggressive bodies I'd probably have no issue with the rails.
I actually tend to agree about the aesthetic, but there are times when it works too.

Mine is an aged white custom, the pickups match the other plastics and the whole thing is a bit ‘reliced’ so all in all it just looks like an old rocker. Another member here has at least one cream double rail in a tobacco burst that looks pretty sweet too.

ARandall

Reaction score
I actually tend to agree about the aesthetic, but there are times when it works too.

Mine is an aged white custom, the pickups match the other plastics and the whole thing is a bit ‘reliced’ so all in all it just looks like an old rocker. Another member here has at least one cream double rail in a tobacco burst that looks pretty sweet too.
Probably would work for that 70's Custom in black too......you know the real player thats a bit worn and rough.

LP1865

Reaction score
Doesn't Vivian Campbell use Dimarzio rails in his Holy Diver LP?

Latest Threads