Raiders Coach Jon Gruden Resigns Over Racist, Homophobic, Misogynistic Emails

TXOldRedRocker

F IT ALL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any photos of the topless cheerleaders?

Body paint is all I could find. :rofl:

fcf647b72332b158e72179588650a095.jpg

mdubya

Reaction score
How big of an incel must you be to need to purchase a private box at a stadium before some chicks will reluctantly show you titties? For money. :dunno::hmm:

I can't even...

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I believe he also called Roger Goodell a "faggot" and a "clueless anti football pussy". I'm not pro cancel culture or anything, but there's not a lot of industries where you get to keep your job when you get caught calling your boss a faggot and a pussy. Not that any of this matters, because he shouldn't have had a job anyway. He sucked as a coach and he sucked as a commentator.
Commisioner wasn't his boss. Owner of the particular team is his boss.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Commisioner wasn't his boss. Owner of the particular team is his boss.
Your boss's boss happens to also be your boss in the way that if you insult them they can terminate you.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that even if something that I find not offensive can be taken to offense by another, I try not to use the word/expression.
Ah, but that is the inherent problem with mob justice cancel culture. If they CHOOSE that something is NOW offensive, even if no one thought it was 10, 15, 20 years ago, and go after you, is that right? And, that is assuming it is used for actual fickle outrage, and not for other reasons. Do we really want our society tuled by the most vocal mob? Because THAT is what CC is today.

"But, what about when most people find it offensive"

Once upon a time, in this country, a majority of people found others offensive because of their immutable physical attributes. That 'mob, sorry, majority, would then take it upon themselves, to cast out, hurt, even kill those they found offensive. Was that okay?

It really is NO different.

Additionally, this is making the Overton Window (look it up) meaningless, as it is qhatever the loudest, most rabid mob dictates.

EVERYTIME an entity caves to it, the more normalized it becomes.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Ah, but that is the inherent problem with mob justice cancel culture. If they CHOOSE that something is NOW offensive, even if no one thought it was 10, 15, 20 years ago, and go after you, is that right? And, that is assuming it is used for actual fickle outrage, and not for other reasons. Do we really want our society tuled by the most vocal mob? Because THAT is what CC is today.

"But, what about when most people find it offensive"

Once upon a time, in this country, a majority of people found others offensive because of their immutable physical attributes. That 'mob, sorry, majority, would then take it upon themselves, to cast out, hurt, even kill those they found offensive. Was that okay?

It really is NO different.

Additionally, this is making the Overton Window (look it up) meaningless, as it is qhatever the loudest, most rabid mob dictates.

EVERYTIME an entity caves to it, the more normalized it becomes.
Someone called me out for being open to changing Columbia day to something else. One person was like “are you judging by today’s standards?”
Uh, yeah.
I’m not advocating that he loses his captaincy. That’s up to his employer and the fact that he’s dead as shit.
I’m just saying he did a lot of things that we don’t need to celebrate.
Is that CC, or just changing with the times? If it came to light that George Washington was a famously prolific pedophile/child trafficker, would we leave his pic on the dollar bill? Should we?

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
boss's boss's boss's boss's boss :laugh2:
still wrong.

THe NFL Commisioner is an Elected Official of the League. The League being the collection of team owners. The OWNERS, via contract grant the position certain powers on THEIR behalf.. Yes, he can discipline individual players and yes coaches, via that power the League, aka, the Owners grants him via them. If anything he works for the Owners. He is NOT the players, nor the coaches 'boss' in any way, in a traditional sense. He could never have fired Gruden for those comments. He has been granted, again by the owners, tha ability to discipline him for them, via fines and suspension. But even that , isn't final, and is subject to appeal.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I think the commish answers to the owners collectively. He's not an employer but his decisions with the support of the majority of owners are binding as long as they don't violate collective bargaining agreements, etc.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m just saying he did a lot of things that we don’t need to celebrate.
So we honor only pristine people that have never done anything 'bad'.

Who defines what is 'bad'?

This is the problem with this line of thinking.

If someone cures all oppression, suffering, poverty, hate, all the world's ills, but before doing that, did something that was deemed normal at that time, but NOW is deemed wrong, would we not honor them?

Friedl

Reaction score
Lots of confusion over who is whose boss. The team is a company, a franchise. NFL is a corporation made up of the individual franchises. The head of the players' union is literally the head of the workers' union for the franchises. We don't need metaphors; these are actual companies and roles. In some teams the head coach is effectively the CEO. In other cases, he's just an executive leader.

You can be sure that if an executive leader sent an email including racial insults about the head of the workers' union to coworkers at any major corporation in America, and those emails got out, they'd be fired. You really think this would be different if we were talking about the COO of US Steel and the head of the United Steelworkers? This isn't a political narrative, it's a stupid person doing stupid things, getting fired.

TheWelder

Reaction score
All I know is that if I sent an email on a work server describing an African American colleague in the manner Gruden did, I would expect to be shown the door. This is as true today as it was 10 years ago, and probably even 20 years ago. I'm sure many of us work for companies that have similar policies. Factor in that he's in a leadership position and has many African American men reporting up to him...and it makes it even worse.

This isn't 'cancel culture' or whatever overused buzzword of the day folks want to assign. It's called being held accountable for doing and saying something that is indefensible. Bottom line is if it's not something you're willing to say to someone's face, than it's very likely not ok to put it on an email to a buddy at work. Simple as that.

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not cancel culture per se, it's more that there are people out there looking for this. Looking for emails, tweets, etc. These emails were not public property, they were leaked. And they were leaked because the leaker, entity knew it would be click worthy. That on and of itself, to me, is almost as bad as the crime. The fact that people "need" this shit to get off on. It's a huge pile on fest where everyone has to make a public comment, shed a few tears, do the 60 minutes interview, and then move on to the next one. If our journalists tried as hard to do real reporting vs click bait, we'd probably be in a lot better place.

And BTW, Gruden still fucked up. Not excusing it.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
So we honor only pristine people that have never done anything 'bad'.

Who defines what is 'bad'?

This is the problem with this line of thinking.

If someone cures all oppression, suffering, poverty, hate, all the world's ills, but before doing that, did something that was deemed normal at that time, but NOW is deemed wrong, would we not honor them?
I guess “enslaving and murdering people” would fall under my definition of bad, but I apparently can’t speak for everyone.
Columbus found this place on accident, like Mr Magoo or some shit. I’ve read that Columbus Day was really just for giving something to the Italians who went through some shit here (like the Irish, Chinese and many others). So really, they could have picked any famous, non-dickhead Italian and give him/her the holiday and everything would be copacetic.
Anyway, these conversations always end up the same way: 30 pages long and nothing learned. Imma bounce.

Latest Threads