Radioactive water in Florida prompts evacuation

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Looks like radioactive wastewater is in danger of spilling in Manatee county and the area is being evacuated. Up to 20 foot waves of “radioactive”, heavymetal filled water contaminated with phosphogypsum could be released.

Seems almost too sci-fi to be true but multiple news sources report.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/florida-state-of-emergency-wastewater-leak

I don’t really know the geography of Florida, but that can’t be good news even in the middle of nowhere.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to nitpick but the water, while extremely toxic, is not radioactive. Leading with "radioactive water" in your thread title brings in a whole bunch of unrelated scares and concerns.

Dangerous? Yes. Radioactive? No.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's stored in large open pools. Not really well regulated apparently.
If I read the article correctly, this plant is now defunct. This should highlight the importance of having a decommissioning plan with money allocated to handle situations like this for facilities where toxic process waste is involved.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I read the article correctly, this plant is now defunct. This should highlight the importance of having a decommissioning plan with money allocated to handle situations like this for facilities where toxic process waste is involved.
A case of "they didn't plan to fail, they failed to plan.

This should be criminal.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should correct my initial post by saying that there is a degree of very weak radioactivity to this stuff but it certainly is not on the order of spent nuclear fuel, etc.

I imagine it’s on par with normal background doses of radioactivity. Would I want a reservoir full of the stuff failing in my neighborhood? Absolutely not.

I was wrong to initially say this stuff is not radioactive in some way.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not a problem... Just have to marinate longer....

Godzilla NEVER shows up in the South... There'd be a BBQ from hell...
Nah Brah,... King Goji just wrecked Florida on Mar 25th!!

See? Florida? Radioactive water? Giant Alligators! Godzilla attack on Tampa!.... can't be all coincidence!

tenor.gif

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Nah Brah,... King Goji just wrecked Florida on Mar 25th!!

See? Florida? Radioactive water? Giant Alligators! Godzilla attack on Tampa!.... can't be all coincidence!

View attachment 529620

Just as a little insurance policy I’m thinking someone needs to get a martial arts expert to deposit 4 baby turtles and a rat out there.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tampa proper ain't the south.

Ziller don't be jumping his ugly ass in Ocala area and up through S GA and SE AL.... Hell, the Cajuns will show up to help too... They ain't gonna sit back and miss out on a good ass whooping....

Latest Threads