R9 wiring question

irocdave12

Reaction score
This maybe a dumb question for those in the know but this my first reissue. My two questions are....Did my 2014 r9 come from the factory with real deal 50's wiring or do I need to change some things to make it genuine 50's? And are the bumblebees inside still the crappy modern caps inside a bumble bee shell or is it a real PIO cap? I have Luxe bees new ready to go but not sure if I should swap them out or not? Thanks gentlemen

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
I'm not the authority on this stuff, someone will confirm or deny, but to my knowledge:
- The caps are the repros, drop in your Luxe Bees if you have 'em. Also PIOs from 'Art of Tone' are my personal favorites, and are very inexpensive.
- I'm not sure on the wiring, however it's a very easy check. Look here, and look on your guitar to see how the capacitor is wired. Adjust as you like
http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52827&d=1396886943

Good luck, also post some pics of your R9. That'll cover my fees ; )

Adam

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its all good man...

They are 50's wiring, and you only really need to worry about the pots if you don't like your taper. Its a taste thing...

I personally like audio taper pots (non linear) and every now and then Gibson gets it right...

So give it a listen...if you don't use your volume knob for clarity or control or leave it a 10 all the time then you need to change nothing...

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 2014 would have come stock with '50s wiring, but I believe the Bees are not PIO. If that's something you want, you might go ahead and install the ones you have.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct... the Bees are garbage if your after smoothness...

They are covered Mylar caps made by a completely different company than Sprague

The outside is just a cosmetic "Disguise"

LPaddicted

Reaction score
This maybe a dumb question for those in the know but this my first reissue. My two questions are....Did my 2014 r9 come from the factory with real deal 50's wiring or do I need to change some things to make it genuine 50's? And are the bumblebees inside still the crappy modern caps inside a bumble bee shell or is it a real PIO cap? I have Luxe bees new ready to go but not sure if I should swap them out or not? Thanks gentlemen

Leave your guitar as it is and plug it in your amp :slash:
Pots and caps stufs are just blah blah blah for guys who owns 60 guitars and aren't able to make an E on it.:cool:

Latest Threads