R9 w/Sloppy Burst Job?

brianbzed

Reaction score
I've been considering a 60th anniversary burst and saw this one on reverb... noticed the uneven burst job.

Maybe I've been around PRS guitars too long but at this price point I think Gibson could have done better.

UPDATE: It appears they might be doing this intentionally, but it's done pretty inconsistently from one guitar to the next as some are perfectly even and some are not.

View attachment 407988
Wow! In the guitar selling bizz 25 years ago, we called this pattern a "Korea Burst".....now, if you GAVE me the guitar, I could learn to live with it.....I could not honestly pay money for such a bad job.....

Guitpicky

Reaction score
My guess is they lost their more experienced painters in the regime change. The typical CYA move would be to simply claim the inconsistencies are deliberate :)

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Were they doing a "sloppy" uneven "Cherry burst" in 1959 too? (Middle 1959 Les Paul Std up for sale at Chicago Music Exchange) Barely Cherry at the bottom and more at the top.

If Gibson made every year the same, every guitar identical, how would you or anyone find "their favorite" in looks and sound????

2 -59 and 1 60 Les Paul Bursts lrg.jpg

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Were they doing a "sloppy" uneven "Cherry burst" in 1959 too? (Middle 1959 Les Paul Std up for sale at Chicago Music Exchange) Barely Cherry at the bottom and more at the top.

If Gibson made every year the same, every guitar identical, how would you or anyone find "their favorite" in looks and sound????

View attachment 417831
Holy Smokerst!
That one on the left gave me a woody!

:thumb:

jktxs

Reaction score
Middle one is a 1960. All three bursts look somewhat evenly sprayed to me. The finish obviously isn't gonna fade at the same rate everywhere on the top.

Herbie74

Reaction score
Pictures can be deceiving given certain angles and lighting. The real test would be to see them in person.

judson

Reaction score
present day they produce so many....just move along to the next one to find one that works for you.......

:dunno:...not alot of perfect things in this world, why over think it

Dr IT

Reaction score
Stupid thread
Depending on the angle things look different
/end of topic

GearHo

Reaction score
The new regime will drive you away sooner than later. He is not selling jeans anymore.

There is an abundance of consumer info available on forums like these, and Gibson won't get much by without being noticed by buyers that are spending a lot of money, and most of which have experience in prior purchases.

So far, it looks to me like this group just doesn't get it.

Herbie74

Reaction score
The new regime will drive you away sooner than later. He is not selling jeans anymore.

There is an abundance of consumer info available on forums like these, and Gibson won't get much by without being noticed by buyers that are spending a lot of money, and most of which have experience in prior purchases.

So far, it looks to me like this group just doesn't get it.
I think the new group gets it and the guitars I’ve played have been great. What are your concerns?

calieng

Reaction score
There are some quality control issues at Gibson this year. I had one 2019 with a pickup cover not well soldered (the cover was loose) and another that they forgot to roll the neck binding. All of them had bent bridge screws.