R9 w/Sloppy Burst Job?

ARandall

Reaction score
Looking at bursts, you see a lot with very irregular burst patterns......even ones that are not overly faded. But there is certainly the 'spray overlap' issue which seems to be very common even on faded examples.

swampblues

Reaction score
these are pretty terrible too...and I sometimes like the fade look but this on such a nice top just flat out sucks

Candidate for a refinish with the beautiful grain on it

MagneticTape

Reaction score
I feel kind of bad for pointing this out. I have a tendency to notice lack of symmetry and it bugs me far more than it should - it's my problem and the world has enough critics so I should keep it to myself. If you like your guitar, that is literally all that matters, screw everyone else.

boola1

Reaction score
I feel kind of bad for pointing this out. I have a tendency to notice lack of symmetry and it bugs me far more than it should - it's my problem and the world has enough critics so I should keep it to myself. If you like your guitar, that is literally all that matters, screw everyone else.
Don't feel bad, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I think it must be intentional. I guess they need to change something each year to mix things up and try to generate sales.

Here's my new 2013, Shameless opportunity to post another pic :)

P1010430.JPG

jaycoyoyo

Reaction score
If it plays and feels good, it wouldn't bother me. If I was in the market and had the coin for this, it would not bother me. I would not mind a price drop for this type of imperfection. I have a similar feeling about the controversial 2015 model year and Richlite Customs.

-Jay

Bob poole

Reaction score
My 2008 Burst,I think is a pretty nice finish job ...I've had a Junior & a GoldTop that were both somewhat sloppy,GoldTop arrived (new) with a chip underneath the screw that attaches the pickguard to the bracket..Dealer actually refunded $150 of my purchase price.

Attachments

Tinpan

Reaction score
Agree - at $6500 they should have better quality control....that is a lot of money for most people....and it may be a once in a lifetime buy for somebody. Maybe the fumes were getting to the painter? :run:

jlb32

Reaction score
I personally am not big of the fades or the uneven bursts. I know what GIbson is trying to represent with them but to many, not in the know, they just look "off" or poorly painted.

IMO if they want to simulate a uneven burst, due to playing wear, they should also add a small wear spot to the wood. At least that way it's obvious why the burst is uneven and it doesn't look to many as just being a poor paint job.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes though so if you love them then that is all that matters and just play the crap out of it.

ARandall

Reaction score
Agree - at $6500 they should have better quality control....that is a lot of money for most people....and it may be a once in a lifetime buy for somebody. Maybe the fumes were getting to the painter? :run:
Have you not bothered to read the thread before chipping in with a redundant comment??

nkd

Reaction score
After seeing the Premier Guitar Gibson factory tour video I understand why the bursts are all different.

Tinpan

Reaction score
Have you not bothered to read the thread before chipping in with a redundant comment??
Oh no - I have been given a ticket by the thread police. Excuse me officer. Moral of the story - read the entire thread because if you should repeat something from another post you could be eligible for ridicule - get a life. :doh:

KS 5150

Reaction score
It's unfortunate they let Mickey McGuire go during the shakeup. He is a masterful burst sprayer. I think he painted my 2013 R9, & I'm very lucky to have it :thumb:

HIDDEN

Reaction score
Not sure such details matter much for guitars that are made to look and feel old? :facepalm: